Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I watched it on a poor stream last night and didn't even notice the scars

ol0OdkV.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

This show is fúcking superb, most shows I don't give a crap about but I had to watch all these episodes as soon as I saw the first one. Back to back. Must watch television. Excited/disappointed that the last episode is coming up, if they do another series I'm not watching until just before the finale, I'm not torturing myself for weeks on end waiting for new episodes. I don't know how people follow shows this way.

http://gothamist.com/2014/02/27/true_detective_clues.php#photo-1

this link didn't work for me at all in google chrome, but worked ok in firefox. Has some nice ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Great episode. Just on Marty visiting the ex and her thinking he was saying goodbye, wasn't sure if she meant because he'd never choose to visit again or because he'd be dead so couldn't visit again? Might be reading too much into it but was it foreshadowing?

Also, is there any connection with all the crimes and Marty's daughter? That doll scene a few eps back seemed a pretty big hint but seems nothing as emerged yet about it.

Kilkenny14 wrote: »
    The video was very disturbing, reminded me of the Blair Witch project. This article does a good job of filling in the blanks from previous episodes. http://www.pajiba.com/true_detective/true-detective-recap-theories-and-answers-after-episode-7-after-youve-gone.php

With 1 episode to go, it's set up very nicely for a great conclusion.

Turns out this brings up a lot of the stuff I was thinking of.

Also, one of the comments is about the 2 detectives at the end ignoring the gardener when Rust and Marty did the same thing (which I didn't pick up on). Ties in nicely with the whole idea of time repeating itself..

Eod100 wrote: »
    Great episode. Just on Marty visiting the ex and her thinking he was saying goodbye, wasn't sure if she meant because he'd never choose to visit again or because he'd be dead so couldn't visit again? Might be reading too much into it but was it foreshadowing?

Also, is there any connection with all the crimes and Marty's daughter? That doll scene a few eps back seemed a pretty big hint but seems nothing as emerged yet about it.

I don't think it was foreshadowing. Marty was indeed saying goodbye. He is taking on a conspiracy that goes as deep as the governor. There is a chance he could go missing and never heard from again, and I think Marty knew that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Wow having read that piece this show has great depth. Didn't even pick up on half of it. Gonna watch all of it again before the final next week! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

sonic85 wrote: »
    does anybody know where I can watch the first episode of this? I missed it when it aired on sky atlantic and im raging

Ep 1 & 2 is on Sky On Demand.

I'm not up to-date with it yet, but only checked to see if someone has posted this on the last page.
    The McConnaissance will continue, but not on ‘True Detective.’[/URL]
    link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Did anyone notice when Marty was in his pi office the reflection of the logo through the glass made it look like he had antlers? Possible foreshadowing of him ending up as alligator fodder with horns on his head? Or I could be reading too much into it.

How do they think they're going to get away with interrogating the Sherriff at gunpoint? At best he's going to turn them in to the authorities, at worst, if he is involved, he'll tip off the perpetrators that they're on to them. Unless they actually went so far as to imprison/kill him? I'm not entirely sure what they're out to achieve either. They've gone so renegade with the investigation that a large part of the evidence would be inadmissable. Are they aiming to take out the bad guys or what? It seems like they've got a lot to tie up in the final episode. Compelling stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

If it is our man ,the care takers face is scarred but the way it was described I was expecting much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

ricero wrote: »
    now that's how you do a penultimate episode. it was fantastic from start to finish. have an awful feeling that both Marty and Rust are not going to live happily ever after

That final shot was stunning.

• Advertisement

There's some interesting stuff in this: http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/02/27/true-detective-nic-pizzolatto-season-1/

Ep 8 preview, got goosebumps from watching it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PORrGrQrFtk#t=1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    Are they aiming to take out the bad guys or what?

They already did when they were murder police, so they'll hardly spare the creep on the mower. (but the facial scarring wasn't like I was expecting)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30onwXme1ws

at 6:20

he's asked about season 2, McConaughey says thats it, theres no season 2 or if there is, he won't be in it.

Guy with the rifle at the 26 second mark, does he look like the guy in the bar when Ruste and Maty were discussing the case?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PORrGrQrFtk#t=0

http://www.darknessbecomesyou.com/episode-7/slideshow/bar (Pic 5 of 5)

yabadabado wrote: »
    If it is our man ,the care takers face is scarred but the way it was described I was expecting much worse.

They healed over time. The scars would have looked much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

Guy with the rifle at the 26 second mark, does he look like the guy in the bar when Ruste and Maty were discussing the case?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PORrGrQrFtk#t=0

http://www.darknessbecomesyou.com/episode-7/slideshow/bar (Pic 5 of 5)

Its him alright,

in the scene at the bar Rust informs Marty that he's the bar owner and that his son has been missing since 1985.

In the youtube video he has his rifle aimed at the Sheriff. So i guess he's helping Rust and Marty or he followed them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I would bet that Rust has co opted him into helping them out, his son went missing, I would also venture he was murdered/sacrificed and Rust has involved him so he can take revenge on those responsible. He has an issue with cops because he knows cops helped in his sons case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Ah here, if you want to discuss the preview put it in ****ing spoilers.

Opr

Yeah I try to avoid previews personally....

johndoe99 wrote: »
    Its him alright,

in the scene at the bar Rust informs Marty that he's the bar owner and that his son has been missing since 1985.

In the youtube video he has his rifle aimed at the Sheriff. So i guess he's helping Rust and Marty or he followed them.
    kryogen wrote: »
    I would bet that Rust has co opted him into helping them out, his son went missing, I would also venture he was murdered/sacrificed and Rust has involved him so he can take revenge on those responsible. He has an issue with cops because he knows cops helped in his sons case.

Thought it was him alright. Kinda looks like Rust is signalling him to shoot the sheriff in the next shot.

Anyone recognise the voice at the start of p 8 preview? Thought it might have been the lawnmower guy but sounds almost like an English accent..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Turns out this brings up a lot of the stuff I was thinking of.

Also, one of the comments is about the 2 detectives at the end ignoring the gardener when Rust and Marty did the same thing (which I didn't pick up on). Ties in nicely with the whole idea of time repeating itself..

That and the curse of a detective, something right under your nose you can't see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

opr wrote: »

Opr

Was it not something you thought of before the preview though? Not much in Rust's life is coincidence or there by mistake. He has lived and breathed this case for the last two years, he works in this mans bar and lives in a house behind it. He obviously has a deep enough knowledge of the man, knew about his son and knows he doesnt like cops.

Went through my head watching the episode tbf that he didnt just get a job working for this guy by chance

Edit: Didnt say anything about the preview actually :)

opr wrote: »

Opr

Kinda assume anyone reading is up to date on latest episode.. If people want to go in to the last episode without watching/ seeing speculation on a preview maybe this isn't the best place for them? Have went back and highlighted it but not sure everyone else has been sticking to the spoiler rule but am happy to oblige!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Great job here with the video - not showing us, but letting us Marty's reaction and letting us infer.
    Same again with the microwave scene (which makes me feel queasy even though I didn't see a thing).
    In fact the episode as a whole had me feeling uneasy a number of times, from the scenes there to the ramblings about Carcosa and the general music / ambience.
    Looking forward to the finale but I've a nasty feeling that, actors intentions aside, there's going to be no way for them to be in a second season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

The show is an anthology series, each season is a different story with different characters, I really don't know why people are still debating whether the characters will return, regardless of whether they survive in the finale. It's literally the first line on the wiki page

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    The show is an anthology series, each season is a different story with different characters, I really don't know why people are still debating whether the characters will return, regardless of whether they survive in the finale. It's literally the first line on the wiki page

Also odd to see couple of recent articles saying McConaughey won't be retuning when it was flagged ages ago..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Great episode, got a real feel like "the boys are back!" from it, and great reveal at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

The scars on your man are barely noticeable. Was expecting them to stand out a lot more, seeing as how that's all people seemed to remember about him. You'd think people would have referred to him as 'the fat, hairy lad'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Standman wrote: »
    The scars on your man are barely noticeable. Was expecting them to stand out a lot more, seeing as how that's all people seemed to remember about him. You'd think people would have referred to him as 'the fat, hairy lad'.

The scars would have healed over time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Advertisement