Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Lirange

colly_06 wrote: »

How did noooooobody spot this

I can't believe the yellow king can actually be seen in lots of scenes :eek:

Haha, I think it's yer wan from Burger King meself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Lirange wrote: »
    But on a serious note. Marty could end up being the monster at the end of the story, if something indeed happened to Audrey. We know how he becomes unhinged if a stranger's child has been hurt. Imagine what it would do to him if it was his own daughter? He would go ape-****. It's been suggested by some that
    the crucified dead girl at Lake Charles in the present day could be her! The coppers have been keeping that under wraps and maybe that's why they were probing for more details about the relationship between Cohle/Marty and why they went their separate ways. Digging for a motive? I guess it could be a revenge killing for Ledoux or Rev Tuttle. Or maybe she would have been groomed like the others. Of course, we don't know exactly how long it's been since Maggie last had contact with her. I've just come upon this theory. I'll have to mull it over and consider this more. I've decided to spoiler tag this to maintain the shock value if it comes to pass. I think the other theories here have been well tread.

Just to address your theory in the spoiler, it is one that has come up on thread already, un spoilered as there is no need really, anyway, I dont think it would be his daughter as he was being interviewed by the two detectives after the event and they didnt tell him? Even after the interview, doesnt seem that plausible to me, he was a murder police, he is now a PI, he clearly still has contacts and friends on the force, it is highlighted how good he is with people and how easily he makes friends and logically if his daughter was murdered then someone would surely have informed him of it by now!

Also, Rust has been digging into the murder, if he had any inkling that it could be Martys daughter I think he would have been quizzing him on her, asking how she is, maybe trying to get Marty to make contact or flat out telling him he thinks its her, as is Rusts way.

Its not a theory I think will pan out, but it is certainly a possibility I guess. No more credible then the grandfather abusing the kids at this point anyway though. I think Audrey (the oldest right?) witnessed something traumatic, rather then was abused herself possibly, what that was Im not sure yet, I am playing around with a couple of theories but none really fit perfectly.

I dont think this show ends well though!

colly_06 wrote: »

How did noooooobody spot this

I can't believe the yellow king can actually be seen in lots of scenes :eek:

Dunno, he strikes me as more of an orange king then yellow tbh

Next theory!

kryogen wrote: »
    Just to address your theory in the spoiler, it is one that has come up on thread already, un spoilered as there is no need really, anyway, I dont think it would be his daughter as he was being interviewed by the two detectives after the event and they didnt tell him? Even after the interview, doesnt seem that plausible to me, he was a murder police, he is now a PI, he clearly still has contacts and friends on the force, it is highlighted how good he is with people and how easily he makes friends and logically if his daughter was murdered then someone would surely have informed him of it by now!

Also, Rust has been digging into the murder, if he had any inkling that it could be Martys daughter I think he would have been quizzing him on her, asking how she is, maybe trying to get Marty to make contact or flat out telling him he thinks its her, as is Rusts way.

Its not a theory I think will pan out, but it is certainly a possibility I guess. No more credible then the grandfather abusing the kids at this point anyway though. I think Audrey (the oldest right?) witnessed something traumatic, rather then was abused herself possibly, what that was Im not sure yet, I am playing around with a couple of theories but none really fit perfectly.

I dont think this show ends well though!

I went back and unspoilered it. Yeah I also mentioned that she may have witnessed something. The interesting thing is that Rev Tuttle has been taken out of the picture and he was a favourite candidate. Maybe the Yellow King is not actually a person but an object, place, or symbol. Obviously this was a network of some sort rather than just one powerful baddie anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Would heartedly agree. The best thing I have seen recently. The casting and cinematography is fantastic. Started to warm towards Mcconaughey after seeing killer joe.

His cameo / bit part in the Wolf of Wall Street was equally as bizarre.

• Advertisement

I went back and unspoilered it. Yeah I also mentioned that she may have witnessed something. The interesting thing is that Rev Tuttle has been taken out of the picture and he was a favourite candidate. Maybe the Yellow King is not actually a person but an object, place, or symbol. Obviously this was a network of some sort rather than just one powerful baddie anyway.

I think The Yellow King is the name of the cult/group/society if anything rather then a person or something. Just seems to fit better

Dermighty wrote: »
    His cameo / bit part in the Wolf of Wall Street was equally as bizarre.

If by bizarre you mean excellent I fully agree :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Not related to the who-done-it line, but can anyone say what Hart says to his old cop buddy when trying to get access to the old files? Does he say he's writing a book in the "true detective" genre or a book called True Detective?

grizzly wrote: »
    Not related to the who-done-it line, but can anyone say what Hart says to his old cop buddy when trying to get access to the old files? Does he say he's writing a book in the "true detective" genre or a book called True Detective?

I'd have to go back to confirm but I think it was "True Crime"

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

In the spirit of making connections to suit the narrative, Marty is probably the spaghetti monster, he likes spaghetti, in another scene, where Maggie confronts him about the picture on his phone he is also eating spaghetti. This along with the family dinner lead me to believe the writer is telling the audience Marty is the spaghetti monster, through sub text.

You might be onto something, check this out:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

grizzly wrote: »

Think he says true crime and then says it's the genre, not the title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

BiAcuwpCQAE86XC.jpg:large

Coincidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I hate being one of those people that nitpicks, especially because I love this show. But all I could think when we finally saw spaghetti man was, how did he grow a beard over those scars? My husband has a small scar on his face and his beard doesn't grow there. I think its very rare for hair to grow through scar tissue.

I know its only a small point but if the beard is supposed to be the sole reason Rust didn't recognise him, then it deserves a mention.

BiAcuwpCQAE86XC.jpg:large

Coincidence?

Love the bit right after that with the 2 lads tearing up the road, music and everything about that scene is immense.

I hate being one of those people that nitpicks, especially because I love this show. But all I could think when we finally saw spaghetti man was, how did he grow a beard over those scars? My husband has a small scar on his face and his beard doesn't grow there. I think its very rare for hair to grow through scar tissue.

I know its only a small point but if the beard is supposed to be the sole reason Rust didn't recognise him, then it deserves a mention.

Plot hole? Nope! fake beard :) plot hole fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

NApDSqo.jpg

Not a very good beard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Reminds me of this :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Plot hole? Nope! fake beard :) plot hole fixed

I can buy that :)

Also, yes, its actually a terrible beard. Maybe just enough to hide the scars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Eod100 wrote: »
    Love the bit right after that with the 2 lads tearing up the road, music and everything about that scene is immense.

Is it the scene at the end of episode 6 where the camera is attached to the rear of Rusts truck? If so, I couldn't agree more.

This is the song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTWIVHRFutk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Reminds me of this :-)

Lol, I thought that too when I saw it.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Notice change from flatter accent in the earlier scene to creepy drawl, more recently. Maybe it's nothing.

Also, in episode seven, the lads talk to a former maid who used to work for Sam Tuttle, father of Senator Eddie Tuttle and the late Rev Billy Lee Tuttle. She explained that Sam Tuttle had very many different children with many different women. There were Ledoux offspring. She also remembered that one of his grandchildren had scars on his face. He was a Childress, and his own father had scarred him.

We have already heard Marty talking to now-Sheriff Steve Geraci about Marie Fontenot, during his time as deputy under Sheriff Ted Childress. Geraci said that he didn't remember much of that time, that he used to drink a lot - guilty conscience? Marty spots that Sheriff Geraci wears his pistol out on the golf course, and he pulls one of his suspicious scowls.
    "Better get those jumper cables ready. Motherf**ker's lying." (Loving it!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDvR2CyaLVQ

Some conjecture.
    I suppose that the man with scars is Sheriff Childress's son. We might make an assumption that he is the green eared spaghetti monster, which may or may not be correct. We haven't heard that Ted Childress is dead. Perhaps we will see him in the series finale.

Complete speculation as to Yellow King
    Maybe Ted Childress is the Yellow King. He was (or maybe is?) County Sheriff, who as we have heard in episode seven, can/could only be arrested by the Governor of the State. So he is/was almost untouchable. Also, he is an obvious choice to be the villain, having scarred his own son.

Best TV ever.

I think it's possible the Yellow King could also be a drug dealer. Dealers often go by trade names as we know from BB. We know Dora and other DBs were found to have been loaded when they died. The perps would be plying them with drugs to make them dependent and at some point hallucinate and participate in their sex rituals.

One interesting thing is that Dora's body was displayed to be found and Reverend Tuttle as well as Commander Speece were keen to see it as "anti christian." A suggestion that made Cohle bristle. The Reverend also emphasised that there was a war occurring between good and evil going on. Perhaps it began as cover up not to embarrass a connected important family with the brutal sexualised violence of their cousin, son, etc. Then later they may have fomented a plan to capitalise on this sex ring to further their social/political agenda. They were probably pleased when Ledoux and Lewall were ID'd as the lone culprits and probably even more satisfied that they were knocked off altogether. I wonder if the Reverend decided to close the curtain on the whole operation when Cohle came sniffing around in 2002? But perhaps some of the old ritual boys wanted to go back to their old habits and killed the Reverend to get him out of the way. Now some of the conspirators in law enforcement/government are scrambling to cover their tracks with the new body. This is why they're so determined to keep the latest murder out of the media unlike the previous ones where they were keen to promote the war between good and evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

I think it's possible the Yellow King could also be a drug dealer. Dealers often go by trade names as we know from BB. We know Dora and other DBs were found to have been loaded when they died. The perps would be plying them with drugs to make them dependent and at some point hallucinate and participate in their sex rituals.

Or more likely cops who would have easy access to confiscated drugs

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Or more likely cops who would have easy access to confiscated drugs

Well absolutely the drug dealer could be a cop. It seems more likely to me that the victims would be lured into this with drugs rather than really wanting to join a strange disturbing cult.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Well absolutely the drug dealer could be a cop. It seems more likely to me that the victims would be lured into this with drugs rather than really wanting to join a strange disturbing cult.

I think people are being too literal in their search for the identity of The Yellow King and the meaning behind Carcosa.

True Detective evokes memories of Twin Peaks (in a good way) and I would see Carcosa as being reminiscent of The Black Lodge.

"You're in Carcosa now" said LeDoux to Cohle. Hart and Cohle have been digging too deep into the horror. They're in the Black Lodge/Carcosa now.

The Yellow King is an abstract idea - the darkness that lurks just outside the corners of our life, if we're lucky.

I thought the first five episodes of this series were magnificent, as good as anything I've seen. The last two have been a bit disappointing. The scripting of Beth's reintroduction was very poor - her dialogue was so off that I'm hoping we'll discover some ulterior motive to her seduction of Marty, but I doubt it.

I'm still undecided as to who the 'True Genius' is behind the series - writer Nic Pizzolatto or director Cary Fukunaga. I think it's one of those rare cases of capturing lightning in a bottle where everyone works to create something that is better than the sum of its parts.

I see in a recent interview that if there is a Series 2 there will be more than one director across the series. Whereas it's commonplace to have a showrunner/writer oversee a series of TV, it's a rarity to have a single director oversee an entire run of a TV series - something that Fukunaga did here - and I think that's the reason it's been such a strong series.

I really hope the last episode knocks me for six. The series has the potential to be up there with the all time greats.

We just need a "Where's Annie?" ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I think people are being too literal in their search for the identity of The Yellow King and the meaning behind Carcosa.

True Detective evokes memories of Twin Peaks (in a good way) and I would see Carcosa as being reminiscent of The Black Lodge.

"You're in Carcosa now" said LeDoux to Cohle. Hart and Cohle have been digging too deep into the horror. They're in the Black Lodge/Carcosa now.

The Yellow King is an abstract idea - the darkness that lurks just outside the corners of our life, if we're lucky.

This. I do not think The Yellow King is a single person.

Is it the scene at the end of episode 6 where the camera is attached to the rear of Rusts truck? If so, I couldn't agree more.

This is the song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTWIVHRFutk

That's a great scene too but I meant when they get a call about Reggie Ladoux and tear on off the road..

Dunno what I'm gonna do once this is over, Mondays are gonna be even worse without it! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

This made me laugh pretty hard.
    https://twitter.com/3amMMA/status/441683296704299008
    True Detective already blew it by not calling the last episode "Without Any Further Ledoux"

• Advertisement

Something I've been wondering about... I love Michelle Monaghan as an actress but why doesn't she have a southern accent? Her lack of one seems to jar with everyone else. Not that I'm complaining much. It's nice to have at least a few clearly spoken lines on this show. :o

Advertisement