Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

:D gonna miss you Rust!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭cableguy.ie

kryogen wrote: »
    I propose a ban on revealing anything about the episode openly until 8pm tomorrow night, when I will finally have watched it after I get out of my work prison :)

Just don't read the thread till after you've watched it. Personally won't get to see it till tomorrow around noon, really looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Just don't read the thread till after you've watched it. Personally won't get to see it till tomorrow around noon, really looking forward to it.

Im giving serious consideration to getting up at 6 and watching it before work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

kryogen wrote: »
    Im giving serious consideration to getting up at 6 and watching it before work

or dont go to work haha

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I dunno if anyone here plans on watching it live (I don't cause I dunno how) but remember the clocks went forward on the US East coast yesterday, so it'll be an hour earlier I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

its on in ten minutes :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Wow I have no words for how good the first 45 minutes were, was, so so good! all the lose ends tied up perfectly. really weird scenes at the start though. BUT i didnt enjoy the ending as much as i thought i would. ill wait to see what others think could just be me. great performances from the two though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Well the daughter's narrative led to nothing, just like someone on here said it would...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

That was deadly. Very stressfull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Such good performances in that episode. Wish we got to see a bit more of the killer and his life though.

Thank fcuk they survived anyways. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Wow is all! I now have to let it all sink in.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

McConaughey's speech on his daughter was brilliant acting, fantastic finale for a great season.

Does anyone know what building Errol's lair was; a fort?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

Kilkenny14 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what building Errol's lair was; a fort?

Yes, the location where it was filmed was an old fort, so presumably "Carcossa" was meant to be similar. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Macomb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

A great ending to a great series. A good story, well written, well told, brilliantly acted.

I know the Reddit 'forensically analyse every scene and prop' types may be raging at the
    lack of twists etc
    I agree with the views of the writer: audiences have been practically trained into expecting ever-more ludicrous plot developments, and are not satisifed by an actual story, where not everything is wrapped up neatly, and not every bad guy is caught.

Delighted they went the way they did, this is easily the best single series of TV in the last five years, and one of the best ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kettle316

WOW!!! That was the perfect season of television!

The 15-20 minute period after they arrived at Errol's house is the most tense I've ever been watching anything on TV. How they're top this in season 2 is beyond me. Amazing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

an outstanding stand alone season of tv, and one that should stand the test of time as it wont be diluted with follow up seasons, ruining what is a great story,

that was some incensed ****hole they were living in, and i liked that marty said it to rust that most of the people involved will never be caught, that thats just not how it works,

thoroughly enjoyed that season, and i look forward to seeing what they come up with for season 2,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I watched the first 2 episodes last night, top quality TV from HBO, cant wait to finish up work and get stuck in to some more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

fantastic ending to a fantastic series. im going to miss Marty and Russ

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Kettle316 wrote: »
    WOW!!! That was the perfect season of television!

The 15-20 minute period after they arrived at Errol's house is the most tense I've ever been watching anything on TV. How they're top this in season 2 is beyond me. Amazing!!

It was as intense as you'd get watching a thriller movie! I could feel beads of sweat when Rust was in the lair!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

McGrath5 wrote: »
    I watched the first 2 episodes last night, top quality TV from HBO, cant wait to finish up work and get stuck in to some more.

Get the hell out of this thread and dont come back till its finished. You dont want to ruin any of it.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

A truly riveting series and the finale was simply excellent right up until the end. Now, I don't know if it was just me, but I couldn't catch some of what Rust was saying at the end. He mentioned feeling his daughter's love when he was dying, but I didn't understand all the talk about dark and light and the reference to the Alaska story.

Are we to take from it that Rust has now embraced the idea of God and an afterlife?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Great final episode. Will post again later after its all sunk in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Fantastic. THAT'S how you write a cop show. This will stand the test of time as an all-time classic season of television

Just needed to add. That scene where Rust talks about death and the afterlife was phenomenal, the writing in this show is simply top class. Along with Mc Conaghey and Harrelson's performances

Even the performance of the Sheriff (Who's name escapes me) when he was explaining that "its all a chain of command" was excellent,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Well, that was something else. At first I was a little underwhelmed by the end but that was just me being greedy and being spoiled by the greatness that came before. The tension in the Carcosa was just incredible and when Rust started headbutting Childress I was shouting at him in my head to keep it going!

It was really nice to see the two of them together at the end and when Rust breaks down...jesus your heart just goes out to him. Brilliant stuff from McConaughey.

I really liked the idea that it was Marty who made the crucial breakthrough by his simple observation of a picture. It made me recall Rust's earlier dismissal of him when he asked him to write up the report.

Anyone think they may have left the door open for Rust and Marty to reappear further down the line? I'm just thinking if the next series or two doesn't do as well they could call them back for a brand new story in what would be a surefire winner.

But that's getting way ahead of things, I can't wait to see what they have in store for season two. If it's half as good as this then we're in for a treat but I doubt they'll settle for something half as good.

Overall, it was a truly fantastic show with some of the best performances we're likely to see for a long time. But then again I thought the same about Breaking Bad! Long live the small screen's golden age.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Well, that was something else. At first I was a little underwhelmed by the end but that was just me being greedy and being spoiled by the greatness that came before. The tension in the Carcosa was just incredible and when Rust started headbutting Childress I was shouting at him in my head to keep it going!

This.

I was cookin up crack head theories for the past week or two, looking at episodes again and putting things into my head like a bad detective!

Had me doubting my hero Rust at one stage, for shame on me.

Fantastic television. I don't know how they did it but they gave Rust a little light, his last words about him thinking the light is winning was class. Scene about his daughter at the end was also fantastic.

The actor who played the man with the scars was fantastically creepy, doing is aloof English gentlemanly accent while he was clearly a disturbed fúck.

Gonna let it simmer than watch last episode again tonight. Will probably watch the whole series through again in a month or so.

Good interview Here with Nic. Sheds light on some of the scenes in the finale and overall gives interesting insights into the show as a whole <3

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

Being someone who doesn't really watch a lot of tv these days,I never thought I'd see two separate shows that both had satisfying conclusions to them within the span of a year! (this and Breaking Bad)

What a great final product this became and thank you to those at HBO who had faith in the concept of this series.Whether or not we'll see a season 2,we can all at least know that this short series delivered the goods!

Also liked the meta commentary about how viewers look into tv shows too much. The story didn't need to go in the direction of the super weird or some elaborate twist like most shows. I'm a little tired that every show needs to have a gimmick these days to fill in its lacklustre aspects,just give us a well told story.True Detective achieved this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Before I watched it I saw rolling stone had tweeted "it's about the journey" which I interpreted as meaning the finale was disappointing. When I watched it I understood that what it actually meant was that the director did not want a grand finale.

I feel that they realised the only way to have a grand finale is at the expense of other episodes. He wanted to write the highest quality 8 episodes across the board. No twists or tricks, just 8 excellently crafted individually brilliant episodes. And he did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Just needed to add. That scene where Rust talks about death and the afterlife was phenomenal, the writing in this show is simply top class. Along with Mc Conaghey and Harrelson's performances

Even the performance of the Sheriff (Who's name escapes me) when he was explaining that "its all a chain of command" was excellent,

His name is Steve the racist drunk from Deadwood :)

Advertisement