Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think Matthew McConaughey can add Emmy to his award collection

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

errlloyd wrote: »
    Before I watched it I saw rolling stone had tweeted "it's about the journey" which I interpreted as meaning the finale was disappointing. When I watched it I understood that what it actually meant was that the director did not want a grand finale.

I feel that they realised the only way to have a grand finale is at the expense of other episodes. He wanted to write the highest quality 8 episodes across the board. No twists or tricks, just 8 excellently crafted individually brilliant episodes. And he did.

I actually texted a mate of mine with the very same words after we had both watched it. I didn't mean to denigrate it in any way, it's just by the very nature of a TV show the finale will disappoint a lot of people. But that's simply based on having watched the hours of material before and having been put through the emotional wringer along the way.

I really don't envy the writers of a show as good as this when it comes to the finale. It must be so difficult trying to wrap everything up without diluting the very essence of the show, the thing that made it great in the first place. Despite my own very small reservations at not having another big reveal or twist before the end, this was the perfect way for the show to go out.

Thanks to its duration, performances, themes and story, True Detective is the perfect TV show to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

SPOILERS

I'm so glad Pizzolatto didn't end the story with a big twist like some of the fan theories. That would have felt cheap and unnecessary. As it stands, he created a good old fashioned detective story with amazing writing and acting.

I'll be very intrigued about season two, especially if they go down the route of two female detectives.

This and Broadchurch (UK) have made for two very strong crime miniseries within a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

The yellow king was well handled I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Who was the dead body in the bed in the cabin. Was it sheriff childress ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

ricero wrote: »

That was Errol's (the scarred man) father. Assuming that when he calls him father in the opening scene, that he means that literally

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

ricero wrote: »

I'm guessing here...but yes I think that was daddy (Chrildress) in a funny kind of tribute to Seven (the Brad Pitt movie). Maggotworn and technically still alive. Although there were other mummies in the lair. And things. Weird things.

Loved it (I actually paused it halfway to finish my lunch because I was a bit nervous about what I might see).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

:eek: Jesus that
    "Errols Father" scene was mega disturbing. It looked like his mouth was
    sewn shut.
    I'd love to know the background of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Anyone think they may have left the door open for Rust and Marty to reappear further down the line? I'm just thinking if the next series or two doesn't do as well they could call them back for a brand new story in what would be a surefire winner.
    Why would two successful actors, who have previously starred in one of the best TV shows of recent times, return to a show that was doing badly?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

sewn shut.

Errol sewed it shut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

sewn shut.

I thought the
    mound of children's clothes in Carcosa and Errol feeling up his half-sister? while asking her to regale him with a vivid account of her/their grandfather abusing her
    was even creepier

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Just watched it, loved it.
    Rust's cryin made me cry, a beautiful scene really, and that he shared n bared his soul with Marty was, well, ...human, and softened Rust for me.

I have to say that as much as I love Matthew McConaughey, and I truly do, Woody Harrelson played Marty exquisitely. Some of my fav moments in the show were Marty's reactions to Rust's "rustness", lol.

Can't wait for season two, and I am going to wait until the summer to watch this whole series over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭BarcodeMuncher

The chance of a captivating TV show like this was rare and to find one so soon after breaking bad is even rarer, tremendous stuff, the two boyos really displayed the emotion to go with a greatly written show

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Initial reaction: all that for nothing

neither the plot nor the-meta-plot-journey-deal were resolved in a way that justified the previous 7 episodes

Maybe it was the ridiculous green ears revelation, maybe it was that two previously believable characters suddenly start running around like magnum f**cking PI in a ruin, mabye it was hilariously cliched fight scene, or even maybe it was the perfectly timed, swirling universe deus ex machina flashback/copout

I can honestly say for once: worst. episode. ever

Heres another thing: half way through mcconnogheys perfectly acted solliquay i thought to myself "jesus, he's going to end this by saying "and then I woke up" just like tommy lee jones in no country for old men. Lo and be****inghold :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,443 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

A truly riveting series and the finale was simply excellent right up until the end. Now, I don't know if it was just me, but I couldn't catch some of what Rust was saying at the end. He mentioned feeling his daughter's love when he was dying, but I didn't understand all the talk about dark and light and the reference to the Alaska story.

I think they want us to buy the screenplay so we can finally understand what was said throughout the whole thing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Bambi wrote: »
    Heres another thing: half way through mcconnogheys perfectly acted solliquay i thought to myself "jesus, he's going to end this by saying "and then I woke up" just like tommy lee jones in no country for old men. Lo and be****inghold :D

Well in fairness he did actually wake up, therefore it it stands to reason he might say it.

Ye the running around like magnum PI was out of place alright, it's not like Rust held up a drugs gang with a bunch of bikers and escaped like 50 gang members while simultaneously beating head biker or anything. Oh and he definitely wasn't under cover in numerous drugs organisations or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

neither the plot nor the-meta-plot-journey-deal were resolved in a way that justified the previous 7 episodes

Maybe it was the ridiculous green ears revelation, maybe it was that two previously believable characters suddenly start running around like magnum f**cking PI in a ruin, mabye it was hilariously cliched fight scene, or even maybe it was the perfectly timed, swirling universe deus ex machina flashback/copout

Only valid complaint there is the green ears revelation imo

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Well in fairness he did actually wake up, therefore it it stands to reason he might say it.

Ye the running around like magnum PI was out of place alright, it's not like Rust held up a drugs gang with a bunch of bikers and escaped like 50 gang members while simultaneously beating head biker or anything. Oh and he definitely wasn't under cover in numerous drugs organisations or anything.

tbh the whole biker episode was the only previous let down for me, it was like they decided a tribute episode to The Shield was in order. I cant stand when a series establishes its credibility and then blows it by going all john wayne when it comes to violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

tbh the whole biker episode was the only previous let down for me, it was like they decided a tribute episode to The Shield was in order. I cant stand when a series establishes its credibility and then blows it by going all john wayne when it comes to violence.

Are you on a wind up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Class finale, the McConaissance is in full swing I tells ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Did you not see the final scene in that episode? One long shot of Rust getting away with ginger. It's one of the best scenes I've ever seen on television. That episode is worth it for that alone. Enjoyed the whole episode tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Amazing!
    Just finished it there now and its one of the best shows I've every seen.

On the topic of creepy ****..
    The scene were Errol (Crazy killer dude) started changing accents on the fly :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

How long before the 'they both actually died in carcosa" theories start flooding in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

superb entertainment, sad there's only one season with McConaughey. Roll on the blu-ray release.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I thought Woody handled a hatchet to the chest quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

while I wouldnt say worst episode ever, its hard to see what is so excellent about it. its a run of the mill detective series, nothing more than an expensive souped up episode of criminal minds with two Alist holllywoood stars instead..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I do think out of the whole season the finale was probably the poorest episode. If it wasn't for those tense scenes in the fort then there really would have been nothing to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kettle316

I do think out of the whole season the finale was probably the poorest episode. If it wasn't for those tense scenes in the fort then there really would have been nothing to it.

I'd have to disagree about there being nothing to it, Errol's general weirdness in the house with his sister-cousin and Rust breaking down at the end were 2 (of many) standout parts of the whole series for me.

• Advertisement

Did you not see the final scene in that episode? One long shot of Rust getting away with ginger. It's one of the best scenes I've ever seen on television. That episode is worth it for that alone. Enjoyed the whole episode tbh.

Sure, it was a great a shot, and the genuine tension in the episode from rust being undercover was excellent. It would have been the best episode of the shield evaar but it felt like a detour in this series

Also: the scene where marty breaks down in front of his family was the real epicenter of the episode for me

Also, also: The final scene where marty seems to be at peace with himself while rust is no longer was a nice little reversal trick

Advertisement