Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Bambi wrote: »
    Sure, it was a great a shot, and the genuine tension in the episode from rust being undercover was excellent. It would have been the best episode of the shield evaar but it felt like a detour in this series

Also: the scene where marty breaks down in front of his family was the real epicenter of the episode for me

Also, also: The final scene where seems to be at peace with himself while rust is no longer was a nice little reversal trick

When was Rust ever at peace with himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I thought Woody handled a hatchet to the chest quite well.

As someone who's thrown a few axes in his day, I can say the red neck did a damn fine job to get a hammer polled hatchet to land edge first while he was spinning around after being shot

thats some errol flynn **** :(

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    When was Rust ever at peace with himself?

I'd say so, He knew who he was. it was the human condition that he couldnt get along with

Bambi wrote: »
    I'd say so, He knew who he was. it was the human condition that he couldnt get along with

He also said he would have committed suicide only he didn't "have the constitution for it".

Doesn't sound like a man at peace with himself does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I loved the series but Rust should have died. There's no way anyone could have survived a six inch knife being stuck in them, then twisted, and then being held a foot in the air by the knife in their body. Even if it missed any vital organs the massive blood loss would have killed him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Loved it only watched it when the series ended. So gave my Monday over to this and watched it the whole way through.

First off This is Matthew McConaughey 's best performance to date as Rust Cohle. yes even better then his Oscar winning performance in Dallas Buyer's Club. Rust is going down as one of the greatest character's in Television drama history.

Woody Harrelson probably has the less showy role but is every bit as brilliant as McConaughey. Props to Michelle Monaghan as Hart's Wife who does brilliantly with what she's given as it's very much a two person show. Thank you for getting Alexandra Daddario naked been waiting for that since seen her in Percy Jackson films :D.

The Chase scene through the ghetto after the failed robbery attempted was one of the most heart ponding scenes I've seen. Rust interrogation scenes were excellent especially with the woman baby killer, cold stuff. The Guy who played the killer was excellent with his voice changes from hillbilly to James Mason Poshnes and he was actually pretty scary. Harrelson/Monaghan stuff wasn't as bad as I was expecting. The fight scene between Hart and Rust was hard hitting stuff.

Top notch Tv Drama that lived up to all the hype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

That was excellent. I really enjoyed the fact that they didn't try to wrap everything up and bloat the finale. Two men cannot take down a whole establishment of evil. They stuck to their guns and kept the focus on the characters throughout.

Loved the different reactions of Rust/Marty going through the house/carcosa. Marty was in tune with the horrors which were around him, portraying the reaction of a man coming face to face with a legacy of abuse which he may have contributed too for his action back in 95.

Rust on the other hand portrayed a man who knew he was reaching the pinnacle of 17 years of detective work. He was ready for the moment, being completely focused on the task he was there to do, showing no signs of being fazed by the sights within carcosa.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I really enjoyed the finale and thought the season was absolutely stellar.

However, there were a couple of big questions left unanswered. This piece sums it up - http://www.break.com/article/5-unanswered-questions-from-the-true-detective-finale-2585890

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Its all about the journey sums it up perfectly, great story, was a great vehicle for the character study. Loved this show and will miss Rusts philosophical ramblings and Marty next week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Effects wrote: »
    Why would two successful actors, who have previously starred in one of the best TV shows of recent times, return to a show that was doing badly?

All sorts of reasons. A great story, a shed load of money, a desire to go back and work with people they clearly enjoyed working with...who knows? This show has been wildly popular and so well-received critically that in some ways it would be a shame to not see these two brilliant characters back on screen together.

Personally I think this is a natural and obvious end for these characters and it's probably best to leave them alone and let this series stand as one of the greatest of all time. But stranger things have happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the finale and thought the season was absolutely stellar.

However, there were a couple of big questions left unanswered. This piece sums it up - http://www.break.com/article/5-unanswered-questions-from-the-true-detective-finale-2585890

Yeah thought the scenes with the daughter were a bit odd if it was just meant to demonstrate the effect Marty had on his children, the staged doll scene and masked men drawing seemed like they were hinting at something sinister with the cult.

Also I get the message of in real life crimes aren't always solved but when they'd so much evidence against Tuttle and this was sent to the media you'd think more would happen than 1 throwaway line on a news report.

My biggest problem is that True Detective built up a huge conspiracy involving powerful figures who have prison inmates killed on a whim, but then reduced it all down to a mentally-ill groundskeeper with some melee weapons.

I didn't think that was clear but assumed he killed himself..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

I assume the case will be picked up by the new cast over the next series and this is just the end to Rust and Marty's arc in the overall story. Otherwise it seems like such an awful cop out to strategically place so many hints and clues throughout the series and then just abandon them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

When they staged the shootout with Reggie Ledoux and the other at the meth hideout in episode 5, Reggie calls Rust by name. I've listened to it several times.

I would really have liked to know how he knew this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I assume the case will be picked up by the new cast over the next series and this is just the end to Rust and Marty's arc in the overall story.

I hope not.

Otherwise we're just going to get an 8 episode Cold Case type thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

weemcd wrote: »
    When they staged the shootout with Reggie Ledoux and the other at the meth hideout in episode 5, Reggie calls Rust by name. I've listened to it several times.

I would really have liked to know how he knew this.

I just rewatched that scene... can't say I heard that at all. When exactly does he say his name?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

I assume the case will be picked up by the new cast over the next series and this is just the end to Rust and Marty's arc in the overall story. Otherwise it seems like such an awful cop out to strategically place so many hints and clues throughout the series and then just abandon them.

According to Nic Pizzolatto in that interview that was posted earlier, season 2...
    ''(it's about) hard women, bad men and the secret occult history of the United States transportation system.''

Gets my vote, anyway.

He looks up when he is handcuffed on his knees in the dirt. I'm fairly sure he says Rust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I hope not.

Otherwise we're just going to get an 8 episode Cold Case type thing.

Not necessarily. I don't mean another group of detectives pick the case up from them, but perhaps a seperate case that overlaps in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

He looks up when he is handcuffed on his knees in the dirt. I'm fairly sure he says Rust.

He kind of slurs what he is saying, but I think that he said "black stars rise", not "black stars Rust".

At 3.30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

He says "black star rises". I got subtitles since I had difficulty making out some of the lines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

:eek: Jesus that
    "Errols Father" scene was mega disturbing. It looked like his mouth was
    sewn shut.
    I'd love to know the background of that.

I wouldn't ;)

He kind of slurs what he is saying, but I think that he said "black stars rise", not "black stars Rust".

At 3.30

it's close. perhaps I just lost my mind :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

It was a decent finale. I really liked that it wasn't completely tied up, that they know there are others out there who were involved in this and that they just won't catch them, and that it goes to the top and there's just no way they can catch everyone. This is real life, sometimes the baddies get away. Some really fcuking creepy scenes in the house with Errol and his sister too. All the speaking in accents lark was weird.

The whole sequence of events from when they arrive at Errol's house was crazy tense. I didn't know where it was going to end up for a long time, but there wasn't much payoff with it. In the end, it was a fairly conventional fight to the death, complete with the last minute bullet to the head just before the killer murders one of them. A whole lot of creepiness that just kind of led to a fairly run-of-the-mill conclusion. I thought the Errol character was a bit of cliché too - the incestuous lunatic out in the sticks. Countless horror movies have done that character to death. The antagonists who have some method in their madness are a whole lot more interesting. That's just my opinion though.

Above all though, I liked that it ended with Rust and Marty together. At the heart of it, I think the show is really about their friendship and how much they care for and need each other, and I liked that it ended on that note. They might have survived, but now they have to try and get on and deal with what they've experienced, and they need each other more than ever now to do that.

Thought visually it was stunning. Really making great use of Southern Gothic tropes -swamps, overhanging, gnarly branches on trees, Errol's derelict house, the overall sense of foreboding.

The central performances were all great too. McConaughey's name is already on the Emmy.

I think it was a satisfying enough ending, with just some things here and there that may have drifted a bit. I admire that it's very much Nic Pizzolatto's singular vision, but I wonder would he have benefited from a couple of other voices, or a different set of eyes with parts of the writing in that finale.

Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to what they have in store for us for the next season!

Most of the hints and clues were made up on Reddit to be fair. The daughters actions were to highlight Marty's inattentiveness as a father and a lack of male figure in her life according to the director.

I'm a little disappointed the wider cult at the top level wasn't exposed more, but there is only so much two men can do I suppose

Correct me if I'm wrong but the way in which they cracked the case was the green ears clue. Marty remembered a house that was painted green and from this he worked out the killer painted the house and then chased the little girl through the woods with a spaghetti beard and green ears. Are we actually supposed to believe that a professional painter had green paint all over his ears? I mean i painted a few rooms before and got paint everywhere but not on my ears. Is this actually supposed to be the key to the case, a painter who puts paint on his ears?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Correct me if I'm wrong but the way in which they cracked the case was the green ears clue. Marty remembered a house that was painted green and from this he worked out the killer painted the house and then chased the little girl through the woods with a spaghetti beard and green ears. Are we actually supposed to believe that a professional painter had green paint all over his ears? I mean i painted a few rooms before and got paint everywhere but not on my ears. Is this actually supposed to be the key to the case, a painter who puts paint on his ears?

Yes. Sometimes the answer is right under the investigators nose. You're having issues with Errol Childress' ability as a handyman?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I think you should probably remember the description came from a scared child, who also described his scarring as spaghetti tbh

It doesnt literally mean green ears if you ask me, it just meant the child saw green stuff on his ears/side of his face basically, that is very possible for someone painting the outside of a house. Nothing strange about it.

It was nice that Marty was the one who figured that out too, his characters journey was brilliant, the improvement in his detective skills, the greater self awareness, the final breakdown with his family. Fantastic arc

its funny when green ears first came up i thought it would be a pair of safety ear mufflers

The paint/house deduction was a bit silly

Yes. Sometimes the answer is right under the investigators nose. You're having issues with Errol Childress' ability as a handyman?!?

I'm having issues with lazy writing. I honestly thought the green ears thing was Errol wearing green earmufflers while using a lawnmower. It makes way more sense than a professional painter getting paint all over his ears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I'm having issues with lazy writing. I honestly thought the green ears thing was Errol wearing green earmufflers while using a lawnmower. It makes way more sense than a professional painter getting paint all over his ears.

He was also a psychopath, which is far more relevant to the storyline than his painting skills. He could have covered himself in green paint and it could hardly be considered strange given that he was completely insane.

Advertisement