Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I'm having issues with lazy writing. I honestly thought the green ears thing was Errol wearing green earmufflers while using a lawnmower. It makes way more sense than a professional painter getting paint all over his ears.

Sure then you would have some people complaining that "we are supposed to believe a young adolescent doesnt know the difference between ears and earmufflers?"

You wont please everybody, and to demand perfection from a tv show is a bit mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Bambi wrote: »
    its funny when green ears first came up i thought it would be a pair of safety ear mufflers

The paint/house deduction was a bit silly

Me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

It was clear from the scene at the school that he became nervous or edgy in the presence of children, which could have lead to spilled paint or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Correct me if I'm wrong but the way in which they cracked the case was the green ears clue. Marty remembered a house that was painted green and from this he worked out the killer painted the house and then chased the little girl through the woods with a spaghetti beard and green ears. Are we actually supposed to believe that a professional painter had green paint all over his ears? I mean i painted a few rooms before and got paint everywhere but not on my ears. Is this actually supposed to be the key to the case, a painter who puts paint on his ears?

Not even that but the leap from a house in Dora Lange's neighbourhood having recently being painted green to the suspect seemed a bit of a stretch. And finding the woman who remember important details and being able to track them down through their taxes. It just seemed to fit so well but maybe that was the whole point to illustrate the detective's curse (something right under their noses along with Rust having talked to Errol outside the school). Otherwise I'm not really sure what Hart's detective curse idea was about..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,885 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

True Detective’s Red Herring: Actress Erin Moriarty, Who Plays Marty’s Daughter, Tells All
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/03/10/true-detective-s-red-herring-actress-erin-moriarty-who-plays-marty-s-daughter-tells-all.html

they ask her about the detailed drawings and she says that she think's she somehow got access to his case files and copied them :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

HBO have released an excellent video montage of the season set to the song that played in the finale's ending credits:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

What a bloody great show. Just watched the finale tonight.

The two leads were outstanding, the script was fantastic, the way it was shot, i loved everything about this show.

I'm sad it's over now but glad they didn't tear the arse out of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭IanOBo

Finished now. A little tiny bit dissapointed with the finale, was hoping for a bigger twist. Still though, some of the best TV that I have seen, especially ep 4 and 5. Unreal acting and just a quality show.

Have to say that chatting with all of ye about Rust, Marty and the Yellow King was most enjoyable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Don't know if it has been mentioned here before or if anyone has seen it, but the English three-part series Red Riding is in a similar-ish vein to True Detective, if anyone is interested in watching another very good series:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

IanOBo wrote: »
    Finished now. A little tiny bit dissapointed with the finale, was hoping for a bigger twist. Still though, some of the best TV that I have seen, especially ep 4 and 5. Unreal acting and just a quality show.

Have to say that chatting with all of ye about Rust, Marty and the Yellow King was most enjoyable!

See I think this is people's own problem and not that of the show. Everyone wants a huge twist but 90% of the time its not feasible. Not everything can end like
    The Usual Suspects or Memento or the like.
    If they had have introduced some major twist in the end there people's reaction would be a whole lot worse I can guarantee you that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

To people giving out that the painter wouldn't have had green paint on his ears.. This is the same guy who wallowed in filth, celebrated and revelled decay and corruption, and committed incest on a pile of dirty clothes. Not too much of a stretch he might get a few specks of paint on him.

For a big guy Errol moved faster than Tony Soprano under pressure:

iQpaX3P.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Think I just found my new favourite reaction gif :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Don't know if it has been mentioned here before or if anyone has seen it, but the English three-part series Red Riding is in a similar-ish vein to True Detective, if anyone is interested in watching another very good series:

My brother just mentioned that too, great but far bleaker then True detective (especially the Paddy Considine Episode ). But I prefer Detective more tighter as a Series but Red riding is excellent.

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Most of the hints and clues were made up on Reddit to be fair. The daughters actions were to highlight Marty's inattentiveness as a father and a lack of male figure in her life according to the director.

Symbolism has become the most bankable smart-dumb aspect of television shows, from the Sopranos to Breaking Bad to True Detective. It's a lazy shortcut to complexity, and hooks the audience like a cheap drug because it makes us feel unduly smart while cultivating a sense of mystery that never pays out.

Something these over analyzing guys would think of on a show would be something like - "Wait!!!!! Tell me you noticed her tattoo was in the shape of a leprechaun boot... And Italy is the country shaped like a boot... And leprechauns are associated with Ireland... And they said the killer was half-Irish, half-Italian!!!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Symbolism has become the most bankable smart-dumb aspect of television shows, from the Sopranos to Breaking Bad to True Detective. It's a lazy shortcut to complexity, and hooks the audience like a cheap drug because it makes us feel unduly smart while cultivating a sense of mystery that never pays out.

Something these over analyzing guys would think of on a show would be something like - "Wait!!!!! Tell me you noticed her tattoo was in the shape of a leprechaun boot... And Italy is the country shaped like a boot... And leprechauns are associated with Ireland... And they said the killer was half-Irish, half-Italian!!!!"

My favourite was in the BB thread here on boards. Vince Gilligan had openly said that Walter leaving his watch on the phone booth prior to his return in the finale was something they had put in last minute because in the season opener (Set hours before his death) he wasn't wearing a watch. It was done in order to prevent a goof, nothing more.

People actually read this. And still denied it, going off about how it had some symbolic meaning (that apparently the writer didnt actually ****ing know about)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Symbolism is used to create mood and atmosphere in almost every single art medium. TV shows have layers, especially complex ones. True Detective was about the search for a serial killer. It was a deconstruction of the True Detective genre. It was also a meta fictional commentary on tv and art. Without symbolism you would never be fit to include all these layers successfully.

When a Show cause a interesting debate on Forums between people you know it's a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

The altar where the final showdown takes place with Erroll.

TjEDI7J.jpg

Close up

2Kw9NLJ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Just watched the final episode, It was very good reminded me allot of the basement scene in silence of the lambs. When they were discussing the green ears I was full sure it was gonna be the suspect was wearing green ear protectors which linked it to the grounds keeper. The paint thing was a bit strange but I suppose it worked.

I took from the ending that Russ is no longer an atheist, Which is annoying as I would have preferred if the writers just avoided any resolution to that argument. It just seems it was tagged on at the end to keep the main stream american audience happy.

Just one thing I was wondering was who called the cops?

• Advertisement

Just watched the final episode, It was very good reminded me allot of the basement scene in silence of the lambs. When they were discussing the green ears I was full sure it was gonna be the suspect was wearing green ear protectors which linked it to the grounds keeper. The paint thing was a bit strange but I suppose it worked.

I took from the ending that Russ is no longer an atheist, Which is annoying as I would have preferred if the writers just avoided any resolution to that argument. It just seems it was tagged on at the end to keep the main stream american audience happy.

Just one thing I was wondering was who called the cops?

Marty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Best t.v show I've ever seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

HBO have released an excellent video montage of the season set to the song that played in the finale's ending credits:

Has there ever been a show with better cinematography? Amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

IanOBo wrote: »
    A little tiny bit dissapointed with the finale, was hoping for a bigger twist.

Throughout the series there was no reason to expect a twist of any sort whatsoever. People pour over every tiny detail on Reddit and the likes, and invent fifty layers of complexity or meaning that the show doesn't even have, because the internet lets them do that.

They're losing the ability to just relax and enjoy a great story and two superb acting performances (including one from an actor I thought was a rom-com dunce until two months ago) - because they think they're being cheated if there's no twist, or robbed because the show is offering them not offering them a chance to feel smarter than everyone else.

Did people hate Matthew because they thought he was a ****e actor who was just there to take his top off and talk in a southern drawl?

I used to get pissed off by him because his talent was clear to see from his early work, he just took the easy path imo, more lucrative I would imagine so its not like you can really blame him too much, just thought he was a waste of talent, delighted he is actually taking roles he can get stuck into again

kryogen wrote: »
    Did people hate Matthew because they thought he was a ****e actor who was just there to take his top off and talk in a southern drawl?

I used to get pissed off by him because his talent was clear to see from his early work, he just took the easy path imo, more lucrative I would imagine so its not like you can really blame him too much, just thought he was a waste of talent, delighted he is actually taking roles he can get stuck into again

He got lazy really wasn't until he met his wife and start having children when he took it seriously again. Always pisses me off when someone has talent and actually is a great actor or actress who do films that are way above their talents. Once he did Lincoln Lawyer is when it started to click again and now he's back on his A game. I even think True detective is his best acting work to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Looper007 wrote: »
    He got lazy really wasn't until he met his wife and start having children when he took it seriously again. Always pisses me off when someone has talent and actually is a great actor or actress who do films that are way above their talents. Once he did Lincoln Lawyer is when it started to click again and now he's back on his A game. I even think True detective is his best acting work to date.

Considering in real life he's a full on god botherer, it was exceptional that he managed to pull of the atheist/pessimist role so convincingly. You really felt like he believed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Yeah, I asked the same question some posts back. it was the only part of the series I was disappointed with. It was as if Rust had to finally accept the existence of God in order to be redeemed in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Most of the hints and clues were made up on Reddit to be fair. The daughters actions were to highlight Marty's inattentiveness as a father and a lack of male figure in her life according to the director.

I'm a little disappointed the wider cult at the top level wasn't exposed more, but there is only so much two men can do I suppose

I honestly haven't been on Reddit or this thread until after the finale so haven't been following whatever conspiracy theories the usual crackpots have been coming up with. There has been some very obvious recurring shots throughout the show though. I can buy the directors explanation for it after reading that interview though.

It seems out of character for Rust to just suddenly drop the case that's dogged him for so many years and just let the cult go, but then he has just had a life changing experience. I'd be very surprised if the cult doesn't come up again in s2.

Ah now there's a world of difference between what you describe and a director putting something like this front and centre, not to mention recurring throughout.

1393245705205_jhwhgam-thumb-550x305-91469.jpg?w=584&h=323

It's usually a cynical ploy by a writer or director to feign depth to poor material (think Lost) and that's not something this show could ever be accused of so is just wholly unnecessary imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Only 2 episodes to go for me, to say to I am really enjoying this show would be a huge understatement.

BTW I think this show has the coolest opening credits since The Sopranos.

Advertisement