Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

I get people’s annoyance when it comes to over-analysing shows these days, but to say there was no symbolism is this show is very strange – crowns, crucifixes, tattoos, stick sculptures, references to old books and that funny spiral shaped symbol that was drawn on the victims back and turned up in various places including Rust’s mind

Clearly the majority turned out to be red herrings, but no way they were all un-intentional, Pizzolatto was f*cking with us but as someone said here, the brilliant acting, writing and directing more than made up for this.

But to say any sort of talk about theories to what something means is b*ll**** and only done to make people sound like they are smarter than others, is harsh. Most fan theories are utter cr*p, and most people would spot them straight away, but discussion is always good in my view, if you don’t agree or like something, move the cursor…

Pizzolatto not going the way a lot of people thought concerning Marty’s daughter was disappointing – it has to have crossed his mind and would have been a brilliant twist, albeit an obvious one after so many hints. So I guess that, and the fact that Rust and Marty did not die, were the twists.

I’m very confident the overall cult plot will appear again – as the two guys said – they didn’t get them all, just their one – so step forward new players…

Made the comparison to Red Riding a while back and it’s really looking that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Excellent series, really moody. Really liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Only 2 episodes to go for me, to say to I am really enjoying this show would be a huge understatement.

BTW I think this show has the coolest opening credits since The Sopranos.

the images transposed on each other are brilliant, Mitchs face and the motorway for example

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Finished this last night. Really enjoyed the 8 episode will definitely watch it through again in a month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

It seems out of character for Rust to just suddenly drop the case that's dogged him for so many years and just let the cult go, but then he has just had a life changing experience. I'd be very surprised if the cult doesn't come up again in s2.

Rust nor the cult will be in season 2, it's an anthology series, every season different story and different characters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

True detective summarised...
    A bunch of backward woodsmen were into devil crap, stick figures and reckoned it gave a free pass to the raping and murdering of teens.
    One or two rose to high office and protected their brethren.
    Then Woody from Cheers and the drunk bloke that won the Oscar found the bad man. Full stop.
    Season two will deal with the higher-ups such as Diane, Norm and the sinister Sam character. Prequels of season two can be seen every evening at 7pm on ITV3 (just after Minder...the role Arthur Daly plays in this will be revealed in season 4).
    Your sincerely

David Lynch.

Damned fine cherry pies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

D-FENS wrote: »
    I get people’s annoyance when it comes to over-analysing shows these days, but to say there was no symbolism is this show is very strange – crowns, crucifixes, tattoos, stick sculptures, references to old books and that funny spiral shaped symbol that was drawn on the victims back and turned up in various places including Rust’s mind

Clearly the majority turned out to be red herrings, but no way they were all un-intentional, Pizzolatto was f*cking with us but as someone said here, the brilliant acting, writing and directing more than made up for this.

But to say any sort of talk about theories to what something means is b*ll**** and only done to make people sound like they are smarter than others, is harsh. Most fan theories are utter cr*p, and most people would spot them straight away, but discussion is always good in my view, if you don’t agree or like something, move the cursor…

Pizzolatto not going the way a lot of people thought concerning Marty’s daughter was disappointing – it has to have crossed his mind and would have been a brilliant twist, albeit an obvious one after so many hints. So I guess that, and the fact that Rust and Marty did not die, were the twists.

I’m very confident the overall cult plot will appear again – as the two guys said – they didn’t get them all, just their one – so step forward new players…

Made the comparison to Red Riding a while back and it’s really looking that way.

Anyway, very good interview from the very hot Erin Moriarty here…

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/03/10/true-detective-s-red-herring-actress-erin-moriarty-who-plays-marty-s-daughter-tells-all.html#url=/articles/2014/03/10/true-detective-s-red-herring-actress-erin-moriarty-who-plays-marty-s-daughter-tells-all.html

No one is saying there isn't any symbolism or anything. They're saying people were overanalysing the story. The vast majority of the symbols werent so much red herrings as they were a part of a different story. Its perfectly surmised when Marty tells Rust how they cant catch everyone. Similarly they wont be able to Decipher everything related to that particular case. I daresay they acknowledged that 10 years prior when Marty blew the face off one of their only suspects (up to that point)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

The altar where the final showdown takes place with Erroll.

TjEDI7J.jpg

Close up

2Kw9NLJ.jpg

One of those is my new desktop background. Ta !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Rust nor the cult will be in season 2, it's an anthology series, every season different story and different characters

I know Rust won't be in it, however there is the possibility that whatever crime the next cast will be investigating may overlap somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Yeah, I asked the same question some posts back. it was the only part of the series I was disappointed with. It was as if Rust had to finally accept the existence of God in order to be redeemed in some way.

Ya the more I think about it the more it pisses me off, they couldn't just let him be the cool pragmatic atheist they had to come along at the last second and lobotomize him with god.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

What was Marty talking about when he was referencing the detective's curse? He was talking about in 2012

Grimebox wrote: »
    What was Marty talking about when he was referencing the detective's curse? He was talking about in 2012

That the answer is right under your nose or something?

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    That the answer is right under your nose or something?

Yeah he said that multiple times during his interview's with the two black detectives. What was right under his nose?

Yeah he said that multiple times during his interview's with the two black detectives. What was right under his nose?

How to be a successful father etc, What was most important to him in life. But he let it all slip for (admittedly) the hottest piece of ass I ever done seen.

No idea actually, can't think of anything that could have been considered in that light in the investigation at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭Hitchens

missing looking forward to the next episode already, oh well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Just wondering can anyone enlighten me as to what Rust says
    at the very end after he says, "at first there was only dark"...

I've watched it a second time now and still can't make it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Rust: “Well, once there was only dark. You ask me, the light’s winning.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I thought it meant the suspect? I'm dense when it comes to these things though :L

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

Ya the more I think about it the more it pisses me off, they couldn't just let him be the cool pragmatic atheist they had to come along at the last second and lobotomize him with god.

Rust didn't find God, I don't how people have interpreted it as that.

• Advertisement

I thought it meant the suspect? I'm dense when it comes to these things though :L

Reggie and Dewall Ledoux were the only suspects on his radar prior to those interviews. How were they right under his nose? He was actively trying to find Reggie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

what was the deal with Rusts last hallucination ?

ricero wrote: »
    what was the deal with Rusts last hallucination ?

Lingering effects from his narco days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

fruvai wrote: »
    Rust didn't find God, I don't how people have interpreted it as that.

He said while he was out and fighting for his life he felt his daughters and other loved ones presence and they urged him to let go, he did but then woke up back in the hospital. It is clear to me that he saw this as a supernatural experience.

He said while he was out and fighting for his life he felt his daughters and other loved ones presence and they urged him to let go, he did but then woke up back in the hospital. It is clear to me that he saw this as a supernatural experience.

Nic said in an interview that the finale marked the characters changing, but that assuming Rust turned 180 degrees is ridiculous. To paraphrase, Ruse changed his point of view 5 degrees. Still no where near enough of a change to imply he suddenly became a religious man.

Tl;Dr

Supernatural != God

• Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Timmyctc wrote: »
    How to be a successful father etc, What was most important to him in life. But he let it all slip for (admittedly) the hottest piece of ass I ever done seen.

Some set of diddlers on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

hefferboi wrote: »
    Some set of diddlers on her.

alexandra daddario is her name and yes she's got one amazing body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Rust realized his life force would transcend and be reunited with his loved ones in another realm, not heaven, not a 3 dimensional physical place but a source of pure light, nothing to do with 'god'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

its funny how the nihilist had better morals than the Christian, tho both were flawed people. also in real life both actors religious beliefs are polar opposites to their characters!

Advertisement