Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

mewe wrote: »
    Just wondering can anyone enlighten me as to what Rust says
    at the very end after he says, "at first there was only dark"...

I've watched it a second time now and still can't make it out.

6 times... that's how many it takes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

fruvai wrote: »
    Rust didn't find God, I don't how people have interpreted it as that.

Id say its to do with him feeling something after death, feeling his daughter, feeling the love in the darkness and letting himself go into it. Its a change from his outlook of nothingness and being doomed to repeat things over and over again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

kryogen wrote: »
    Id say its to do with him feeling something after death, feeling his daughter, feeling the love in the darkness and letting himself go into it. Its a change from his outlook of nothingness and being doomed to repeat things over and over again

It was a beautiful little speech he gave. I'd like to think that when I'm gone I'll feel my loved ones in some way.

It was brilliantly written. It could have been soppy and mawkish but it was excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Looper007 wrote: »
    alexandra daddario is her name and yes she's got one amazing body.

On about the second girl who request he fornicate with her in a specific manner involving her bootaaay

Temaz wrote: »
    It was a beautiful little speech he gave. I'd like to think that when I'm gone I'll feel my loved ones in some way.

It was brilliantly written. It could have been soppy and mawkish but it was excellent.

I think it would have been better if he died if Im honest, or at least ended when he was in the hospital looking like Jesus (resurrected :))

It felt a bit tacked on to appease American audiences tbh, but it was still very good

• Advertisement

Timmyctc wrote: »
    On about the second girl who request he fornicate with her in a specific manner involving her bootaaay

Who can also be seen fornicating all over the gaff in Banshee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Nic said in an interview that the finale marked the characters changing, but that assuming Rust turned 180 degrees is ridiculous. To paraphrase, Ruse changed his point of view 5 degrees. Still no where near enough of a change to imply he suddenly became a religious man.

Tl;Dr

Supernatural != God

I haven't read any thing about the show, It detracts from the shows enjoyment imo. In the end Russ changed from believing he would never see his daughter again to believing she was waiting for him after he died, One could see that as 5 degree change on a scale where 180 is full blown bible basher. Granted this has nothing to do with god I was just using him or her in broader terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

theres so many unanswered questions. was that guy putting on a hillbilly act or did he have multiple personalities? was there a secret society of influential people from government and business that performed rituals at the 'church'? the video of the child being abused would suggest that but who would want to spend time with a guy who lives in a dump of a house with a crazy woman?

was it just the 1 family with influential family members protecting their secret?

when he was shot the bullets didnt seem to stop him which suggests supernatural abilities but more than likely a psychotic state stopped him from feeling pain, he also lifted Rust off the ground with the knife but his manual labor job would give him good strength

the sniper scene was alot like Breaking Bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

theres so many unanswered questions. was that guy putting on a hillbilly act or did he have multiple personalities?

Little from Column A little from Column B. He was abused as a child causing the scarring and rendering his speech a slur. He learned to enunciate properly by watching the old video tapes we saw he had on in his house. Hence his flawlessly moving between James Mason impression to whatever the Scotch one was to his regular cadence.

was there a secret society of influential people from government and business that performed rituals at the 'church'? the video of the child being abused would suggest that but who would want to spend time with a guy who lives in a dump of a house with a crazy woman?

Think the reason Errol was involved was because of his father or grandfather maybe? Praps they was tight with Tuttle et al.

was it just the 1 family with influential family members protecting their secret?

EDIT: Upon further investigation it would appear Errol is just a retard amongst the powerful Childress family so I guess you could say Tuttle and Childress

when he was shot the bullets didnt seem to stop him which suggests supernatural abilities but more than likely a psychotic state stopped him from feeling pain, he also lifted Rust off the ground with the knife but his manual labor job would give him good strength

Was probably just an action scene. Theres 1 million of them on tv daily :P

In what sense? (Out of interest purely :P )

XX Gossip Goat

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Originally Posted by kumate_champ07 viewpost.gif
    theres so many unanswered questions. was that guy putting on a hillbilly act or did he have multiple personalities?

Little from Column A little from Column B. He was abused as a child causing the scarring and rendering his speech a slur. He learned to enunciate properly by watching the old video tapes we saw he had on in his house. Hence his flawlessly moving between James Mason impression to whatever the Scotch one was to his regular cadence.

He was a redneck for sure, living out there in the sticks. I don't think that he had multiple personalities, rather than a talent for accents. That voice that he adopted when he asked his half sister to retell the story of the grandfather in the cane fields was something different though. I think that I read some article speculating that it possibly related to a previous cleft palate problem or something like that. However, if the cleft palate was surgically corrected in the intervening years, I'm unsure if that adds up with there having been no records of Errol, as stated by Marty. Marty checked and there were no records of William Lee Childress having had children.
    was there a secret society of influential people from government and business that performed rituals at the 'church'? the video of the child being abused would suggest that but who would want to spend time with a guy who lives in a dump of a house with a crazy woman?

Think the reason Errol was involved was because of his father or grandfather maybe? Praps they was tight with Tuttle et al.
    I'd agree

EDIT: Upon further investigation it would appear Errol is just a retard amongst the powerful Childress family so I guess you could say Tuttle and Childress
    He's clearly a very disturbed individual, but there is nothing to definitely point to him having a mental illness or mental disability. His vocabulary would suggest that he may be very intelligent, although it is possible that many of his lines are simply learned off, I don't know.

Also, he referred to Reggie and DeWall (Ledoux) as acolytes, so perhaps there is some implication that he ranked higher than they did?

There is a five horsemen theory, to the effect that five men on horseback are the powerful people in charge and that Reggie, DeWall and Errol were subservient to them.

Was probably just an action scene. Theres 1 million of them on tv daily tongue.png
    Marty admitted to Rust that he was using .38 hollow point ammunition, when they entered Rust's lockup in episode 7. "That'll do it", replied Rust.

Marty shot Errol with the .38 at close range. He hit him with the first shot, but it looks as though he missed with the following three shots, before he received a hatchet to the chest. Now, I don't know a hell of a lot about firearm calibres, but apparently hollow point ammunition expands when it hits, causing a wider area of tissue damage, blood loss and shock.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollow-point_bullet

Still, it's kind of impressive that he kept fighting after being shot by Marty.

Maybe it's a plot hole, that they forgot that Marty uses hollow points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Get the hell out of this thread and dont come back till its finished. You dont want to ruin any of it.
    :)

Finished it tonight, took my time with it and somehow managed not to go on a binge with it.

The single best TV series I have yet seen, season 2 has a lot to live up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Might just go and watch it all again.

for the third time:o

• Registered Users Posts: 36 1809allan

There'll be a season 2? Why do they want to ruin another good series by running it until everyone is bored of it?
    They've done that so many times recently. It's crazy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

1809allan wrote: »
    There'll be a season 2? Why do they want to ruin another good series by running it until everyone is bored of it?
    They've done that so many times recently. It's crazy!!

Its an anthology format.

New cast new story etc

• Registered Users Posts: 36 1809allan

Makes sense, it's the only way it could work.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Really thought it wound up well, pity they didn't catch the rest of the cult but at least they acknowledge this.

Remember though the original case was parked after they got Reggie Ledoux, then Rust reopened it with his digging.

What chance this case will be extended in a few years time with the same curiosity.

In what sense? (Out of interest purely tongue.png )
    from a sound design point of view, also the comedic relief seeing the alcoholic bar owner* with the sniper rifle, it was satisfying,dramatic and funny just like in BB

he was a war vet no doubt, but every other scene he was wasted at the bar, probably trying to block bad memories.

He was a redneck for sure, living out there in the sticks. I don't think that he had multiple personalities, rather than a talent for accents. That voice that he adopted when he asked his half sister to retell the story of the grandfather in the cane fields was something different though. I think that I read some article speculating that it possibly related to a previous cleft palate problem or something like that. However, if the cleft palate was surgically corrected in the intervening years, I'm unsure if that adds up with there having been no records of Errol, as stated by Marty. Marty checked and there were no records of William Lee Childress having had children.

I'd agree

He's clearly a very disturbed individual, but there is nothing to definitely point to him having a mental illness or mental disability. His vocabulary would suggest that he may be very intelligent, although it is possible that many of his lines are simply learned off, I don't know.

Also, he referred to Reggie and DeWall (Ledoux) as acolytes, so perhaps there is some implication that he ranked higher than they did?

There is a five horsemen theory, to the effect that five men on horseback are the powerful people in charge and that Reggie, DeWall and Errol were subservient to them.

Marty admitted to Rust that he was using .38 hollow point ammunition, when they entered Rust's lockup in episode 7. "That'll do it", replied Rust.

Marty shot Errol with the .38 at close range. He hit him with the first shot, but it looks as though he missed with the following three shots, before he received a hatchet to the chest. Now, I don't know a hell of a lot about firearm calibres, but apparently hollow point ammunition expands when it hits, causing a wider area of tissue damage, blood loss and shock.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollow-point_bullet

Still, it's kind of impressive that he kept fighting after being shot by Marty.

Maybe it's a plot hole, that they forgot that Marty uses hollow points.
    [/I]
    missed that, that kind of trauma to the body would shut down internal organs, no way you can ignore that pain when the body has a natural reflex to collapse in a heap

the visions Rust had could have been drug related flashbacks, if the former was not a plot hole perhaps Rust was actually seeing into another dimension! with the deep stab wound he was dying and at that point the body releases powerful chemicals that make it easier to let go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

from a sound design point of view, also the comedic relief seeing the alcoholic bar owner* with the sniper rifle, it was satisfying,dramatic and funny just like in BB

he was a war vet no doubt, but every other scene he was wasted at the bar, probably trying to block bad memories.

His young son also went missing I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Its an anthology format.

New cast new story etc

I love this format. It's so refreshing instead of the vast majority of shows which end up getting cancelled and never finishing a story arc, which is very frustrating and breaks down any incentive for getting into a show.

• Advertisement

when Marty is in his bed and says he's ok to his family but then breaks apart, that was powerful. think it was a combination of all the bad things he's seen, the children that were abused/killed and how he seemed to spend more time on his work rather than his own family/children.

he gave that girl at the brothel money to find a better life but didnt focus enough on his own daughters when they were growing up.

it might be a show with rehashed ideas and nothing truly groundbreaking ,but its non linear storytelling and acting was amazing.

I suppose its a very strange very long 'buddy cop movie'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

when Marty is in his bed and says he's ok to his family but then breaks apart, that was powerful. think it was a combination of all the bad things he's seen, the children that were abused/killed and how he seemed to spend more time on his work rather than his own family/children.

he gave that girl at the brothel money to find a better life but didnt focus enough on his own daughters when they were growing up.

it might be a show with rehashed ideas and nothing truly groundbreaking ,but its non linear storytelling and acting was amazing.

I suppose its a very strange very long 'buddy cop movie'

It's much better than a buddy cop movie. It's a character study of two individuals whose lives are intertwined and molded by a horrible case which I found quite sobering in areas. It has a stark resemblance of reality of middle aged life for some people and the affects your working life can have over over your personal. Boundaries in life was a big theme to this show and I think they did a great job of it.

HazDanz wrote: »
    It's much better than a buddy cop movie. It's a character study of two individuals whose lives are intertwined and molded by a horrible case which I found quite sobering in areas. It has a stark resemblance of reality of middle aged life for some people and the affects your working life can have over over your personal. Boundaries in life was a big theme to this show and I think they did a great job of it.

Im not making negative annotations by using that term

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

While the ending almost leaves the door ajar for these characters to continue I'm glad the series will move on next year. The contained format brings so much uncertainty with it and that's something very few continuing series can achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Irish94

Fantastic series, really enjoyed it. Every aspect about the show was brilliant.

My favourite scenes in the finale were;

The close up of Rust when he is lying in the bed, then showing his reflection in the window.

I loved when Marty and Rust finished talking in the hospital room, it then shows the journey they went though: Showing Errol Childress shed, the lake, Reggie Ledouxs' house, the river and finally the tree which Dora's body was found at sunset.

What did Errol kill the dog with? Was wondering too, why did he seem so uneasy when the boy was staring at him while he painted the school?

Irish94 wrote: »
    Fantastic series, really enjoyed it. Every aspect about the show was brilliant.

My favourite scenes in the finale were;

The close up of Rust when he is lying in the bed, then showing his reflection in the window.

I loved when Marty and Rust finished talking in the hospital room, it then shows the journey they went though: Showing Errol Childress shed, the lake, Reggie Ledouxs' house, the river and finally the tree which Dora's body was found at sunset.

What did Errol kill the dog with? Was wondering too, why did he seem so uneasy when the boy was staring at him while he painted the school?

The dog was following him everywhere, the dog barking after him would have somewhat given away the chase to Rust.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Irish94

Syferus wrote: »
    The dog was following him everywhere, the dog barking after him would have somewhat given away the chase to Rust.

Oh I know that, but I didn't see what kind of wound the dog had. Curious to know did he kill him with the knife or hatchet!

Oh I know that, but I didn't see what kind of wound the dog had. Curious to know did he kill him with the knife or hatchet!

This conversation has officially gotten a little weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Think it was the hatchet cause he had a wound on his face and didn't look like a clean enough wound for a knife to have made.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Syferus wrote: »
    This conversation has officially gotten a little weird.

Why try and be smart? In fairness ya answered a question ya weren't even asked in the first place.

I'd go along with what NegativeCreep said Irish94 but for me it doesn't really matter how the dog was killed. I'd say when he was lookin at the boy he wasn't so much uneasy but more like he was imagining what he would like to do to him, ie. something deranged no doubt.

Advertisement