Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Loved the show and its completely changed my of Matthew Mc and while I didn't hate the finale it just felt a bit rushed and disappointing.

The series from about episode 2 to the final episode seems to be orientated on the two characters cracking a group, while its possibly more realistic that they only get Errol, the previous episodes definitely create the picture that he is the leader/prophet for a larger organized group thats not just focused on child abuse, whereas the finale and the set up of the house and so on (no other cult members/acolytes being around and so on) makes it seem like he is just the messed up relative that the rest of the powerful members are covering up for where as the previous episodes make it clear that the secret is something they put an awful lot of effort into protecting and have a support network in place for.
    Also it would have been nice if they had gone a bit further into his motivations with the paganism.

From a strictly non storyline point it probably would have benefited if Errol had been in a previous episode for more than a minute as he did seem to be an interesting character.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

The serial killer plot-line was just dressing to explore Rust and Marty.

Far too many people concentrating on 'Errol' (his name is barely mentioned in the show and I wouldn't even know it now if not for this thread) and not enough on a series that was great because it was a character and community study, not because it was yet another cops-chasing-serial-killer show. If anything it was great in spite of its box-out premise.

I didn't want to know any more about the killer than what we got. This is a show about subtlety, not gratuity.

Talking about the serial killer angle is like watching a great game of football and then spending the whole time talking about the performance of the referee.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

just watched it today, it was decent

rust annoyed me alot of the time, hearing his lines I could just picture the writer with a hand down their trousers rubbing themselves furiously congratulating themselves on how clever they are.

and the end was pretty woeful.
    the rational atheist turns faithful angle was irritating but not out of place or anything, just irritating. the timing of rusts vision in the cave/fort thing just distracting him long enough that errol could get the jump on him, le yawn. superman errol the bullet sponge too, meh.

I really liked the nice bit of democratic propaganda thrown into one of the episodes where the evil sinister child raping christian minister talks about how he plans to use school choice vouchers to further his maniacal baby raping plans. It's a shame they played that one so subtle, a huge cigar and a fluffy white cat on his lap would have really driven the point home tastefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

and the end was pretty woeful. the rational atheist turns faithful angle was irritating but not out of place or anything, just irritating.

That really didn't happen. At least not on the scale you imply it. It was portrayed as Rust changing his view something small as a result of the events. Not that he suddenly becomes a faithful believer. I think the quote was that "Rust's view wasn't changed 180 [degrees], not 90, but about 5."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

It would have been far more unrealistic if Rust wasn't changed by an experience like that. He was always running away from his child's death and he finally faced up to it in the finale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Fantastic series, matthew mcconaughey was unreal, dont see how it can be half the show without him.

Just watching episode 4 there tonight (*looks faintly embarrassed) and the last scene was stunning. Kinda gobsmacked really.
    Not sure if I've watched telly as good as that before. What was McConaughy doing with all those romcoms. Intend to finish this series tomorrow or the next day. So probably not checking this thread until then. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Quick question for those who have seen the entire series - how dark/unsettling/graphic/explicit does it get?

Only on Episode 5 now and absolutely loving the show but the missus is a right spookypants so have a feeling she could be cowering behind the couch in the not too distant future :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Quick question for those who have seen the entire series - how dark/unsettling/graphic/explicit does it get?

Only on Episode 5 now and absolutely loving the show but the missus is a right spookypants so have a feeling she could be cowering behind the couch in the not too distant future :eek:

I wouldn't say its hide behind the sofa scary, but it does get pretty dark and a few scenes are a bit unsettling in a disturbing kind of way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

Just watching episode 4 there tonight (*looks faintly embarrassed) and the last scene was stunning. Kinda gobsmacked really.
    Not sure if I've watched telly as good as that before. What was McConaughy doing with all those romcoms. Intend to finish this series tomorrow or the next day. So probably not checking this thread until then. :P

Same here, watched it last night, Brilliant TV. Cant wait to get home tonight and stick on episode 5:D . Was saying the very same thing about McConaughty how he has completely transformed his acting career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

most of that aspect doesnt come from the actual visual imagery of the crimes,
    but from the mental imagery portrayed from the emotional response of the characters when they hear about/view/recall a crime

we dont see any of the violence in the video tape but its very emotional and disturbing, it shook me up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

The director mentions that he prefers to leave it to the imagination of the viewer rather than showing any shock gore

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Glebee wrote: »
    Same here, watched it last night, Brilliant TV. Cant wait to get home tonight and stick on episode 5:D .

I envy the bastids who are only watching this now. :D DO NOT read any spoilers. Its to damn good to ruin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Haha deadly! If she ever annoys you tell her the spaghetti monster is going to come get her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

it doesn't get anyway rapey or anything, most of that unsettling stuff is left to the imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'm at episode 7, jeez that part where they were looking at the tape that was stolen was a bit unnerving, although they didn't show it the viewer was left in no doubt what was going to happen to the poor girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I'm at episode 7, jeez that part where they were looking at the tape that was stolen was a bit unnerving, although they didn't show it the viewer was left in no doubt what was going to happen to the poor girl.

That was the best scene in the series imo, better than the single long shot chase scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

My favourite scene was Rust doing his thing and then they cut to Reginald Ladoux, summed the show up perfectly for me.

And finally, the opening theme tune from The Handsome Family is just sublime. I've seen 'em live about five times. They had a cult following up until True Detective. The theme now has over 800k hits from one YT clip..

Have to make that my ringtone.

• Advertisement

weemcd wrote: »
    The actor who played the man with the scars was fantastically creepy, doing is aloof English gentlemanly accent while he was clearly a disturbed fúck.

I think he was (badly) channelling Pop Larkin from the Darling Buds of May there.

Easy Rod wrote: »
    How long before the 'they both actually died in carcosa" theories start flooding in?

In fairness it's pretty clear to anyone watching it attentively that Rust and Marty are the same person.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

In fairness it's pretty clear to anyone watching it attentively that Rust and Marty are the same person.

O_RLY%3F.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

"This-- This is what I'm talking about.
    This is what I mean when I'm talking about time and death and futility.
    There are broader ideas at work, mainly what is owed between us as a society for our mutual illusions.
    ..........these are the things you think of.
    You ever done that? Hmm? You look in their eyes, even in a picture.
    Doesn't matter if they're dead or alive.
    You can still read them, and you know what you see? They welcomed it, mm-hmm, not at first, but right there in the last instant.
    It an unmistakable relief, see, because they were afraid and now they saw for the very first time how easy it was to just let go, and they saw-- In that last nanosecond, they saw what they were, that you, yourself, this whole big drama, it was never anything but a jerry-rig of presumption and dumb will and you could just let go finally now that you didn't have to hold on so tight to realize that all your life—you know, all your love, all your hate, all your memory, all your pain—it was all the same thing. It was all the same dream. A dream that you had inside a locked room. A dream about being a person. And like a lot of dreams there's a monster at the end of it."

That speech from Rust at the end of ep.3 and the cut to the nutcase. That's good tv.

kryogen wrote: »
    Did people hate Matthew because they thought he was a ****e actor who was just there to take his top off and talk in a southern drawl?

Actually just on the shirtless McConaughy trope thing.
    Him walking around in a vest 50% of the time in this felt like knowing and in-joke-y. Anyone know if this was deliberate.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I've watched the series twice, and I still can't figure what you mean by that, or how you would come to that conclusion:confused:

Burky126 wrote: »
    Also liked the meta commentary about how viewers look into tv shows too much.

to:
    hefferboi wrote: »
    Some set of diddlers on her.

Loving this thread.

whiterebel wrote: »
    I've watched the series twice, and I still can't figure what you mean by that, or how you would come to that conclusion:confused:

I'm joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Se1251an

Just watching last ep again on sky. Woody harrelsons acting when his family visit him in hospital is some of the best I've ever seen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

Just finished watching myself, slightly traumatised from it. Cant remember the last time a show or film stayed with me long after i watched it. Particularly the scene of the guy with the face mask walking across the lawn, also any scene involving Childers, shudder shudder...

Advertisement