Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

Seriously brilliant TV. Possibly the best season of any tv series i've ever seen. Hope they keep it up with whoever the new actors are for season 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Finished this show weeks ago and was driving down through Wexford for a funeral last week. The weather was fabulous, perfect for grasscutting, and there were lots of council workers out and about. I realised I'll never look at lawnmower men the same way ever again.

On the show itself, I think similar to what the two black detectives suspected about Rust, that Rust and Marty were guided in the direction of the way the poweful bad guys wanted the case to go. They gave up Errol knowing that would be the end of it. They get away with it. The world needs bad men.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

So, a few things d that has confused me since watching the lat episode last night ...

Did the senators family have anything to do with the murders after all?

Is the only link to the churches that 'spagetti face' worked for them?

Who was the dehydrated dude strapped to the bed?

All in all tho .... what a series!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    So, a few things d that has confused me since watching the lat episode last night ...

Did the senators family have anything to do with the murders after all?

Is the only link to the churches that 'spagetti face' worked for them?

Who was the dehydrated dude strapped to the bed?

All in all tho .... what a series!!

1: Yes
    2: Yes
    3: The villains father

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Dermighty wrote: »
    1: Yes
    2: Yes
    3: The villains father
    Well The Tuttle's set up the churches/schools, so the fact Errol worked for the churches isn't his only connection to the church. The church'scholl system that the Tuttle's set up was to facilitate their murderous cult, Errol was part of the extended cult as it were. What is in question (imo) is whether all of his murders involving Errol were "sanctioned" as it were by the cult, or that he had his own side business as it were

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

I finished watching this tonight, I thought it was brilliant. Really hoping for a second season!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Bit confused, was this guy Childress who was the seriel killer anything to do with the Senator or Reggie and Dewall Ladoux?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

In fairness it's pretty clear to anyone watching it attentively that Rust and Marty are the same person.

hows-annie1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    What is in question (imo) is whether all of his murders involving Errol were "sanctioned" as it were by the cult, or that he had his own side business as it were
    The family/cult were into ritual child abuse but some seemed to have come out of it after getting respectable jobs and becoming Important People in their area and some continued, like the meth guys. Errol, however, was "worse than anybody".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Kitty6277 wrote: »
    I finished watching this tonight, I thought it was brilliant. Really hoping for a second season!

There will be a second series. No McConaughy, Harrelson or director Fukunaga.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Birneybau wrote: »

Didn't know that. Thats not good.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Just finished the series. Best I've seen bar none.

Not sure if it's at all important but did anyone notice that when Maggie went to a bar to find a man, she was wearing a red dress, but when she called to Rust, she was wearing a flowery blue dress?

Not sure if it was meant to be the same night or not, so probably not relevant? She said to Rust that she had almost slept with another man but didn't. She didn't say what night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

Just finished watching it myself. The overall tension and mood of the whole series was brilliant and I must say the starting credit music was brilliant.
    McConaughy and Harrelson were brill and really played off each other well. Sort of like bad cop, mad cop. Dont know if second season will be as good with out these two charecters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Glebee wrote: »
    Just finished watching it myself. The overall tension and mood of the whole series was brilliant and I must say the starting credit music was brilliant.
    McConaughy and Harrelson were brill and really played off each other well. Sort of like bad cop, mad cop. Dont know if second season will be as good with out these two charecters.

From what I can see, it was different nights.
    I was a bit disappointed with the ending. Not the very very end, but the final events. I thought the bit in the cacousa was a bit hamish. McConaughey gets stabbed with a knife and survives, then he just about shoots yer man in the nick of time as he is about to finish Harrelson off
    A few things that stood out. The couple in the house in the last episode were really f*cking disturbing. You know when Marty hooks up with the former hooker, and she phones him up and says "I really want to be f*cked in the *ss, and I want you to be the one to do it. I was thinking then, what was going through the minds of the script writers when they wrote it. It's f*cked up!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm happy that they are moving to a different cast.

You can take this series away in isolation, and it can be rightfully placed as a masterpiece. It's a good idea, having a different cast with different characteristics dealing with different cases.

I hope that it moves to different locations. From what I've read the intentionally short season length (6-10 episodes) is to encourage big screen actors to try their hands at the small screen. It's a noticable trend in the last few years as for alot of commentators, TV Series are fast becoming more powerful mediums than Cinema, with more flexability and room for expansion.

Kevin Spacey doing House of Cards, another show I was watching alongside True Detective and just as excellent is a good sign that the new series of this will have some big names in the front.

Some rumours flying around vicously, but Russel Crowe and Brad Pitt( not necessarily together) are two actors I'd love to see in this sort of series. Liam Neeson to a certain extent too, he's cashing in a little doing some action flicks and fair play, but people quickly forgetting what a powerful onscreen prescence he is.

The possabilities are endless really :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Blanchett and Winslet might be a goer?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Just finished watching it, and judging by the few pages on this thread that i've read, i'm going to be in the minority here...

I didn't like it. Granted, excellent performances all round, especially from Harrelson and McConaughy, and while the story was interesting i just felt like it didn't go anywhere and was too drawn out. Some of the talking was also very hard to understand at times, and i found myself wishing that it would just hurry up and finish. I think it was a bit too wanting to be meaningful, for want of a better phrase. It just didn't entertain me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Birneybau wrote: »

What?! No way! Damn. Won't be the same without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Did people notice the few nods to True Blood throughout the series (especially the finale)? There were a good few little things that were similar especially the True Blood opening sequence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Finally finished it and it was really excellent, if also quite harrowing and upsetting near the end with that tape. The reaction Woody have in episode 7 watching the tape was close to how I was feeling while I wasn't sure how much they were going to show us.

And I like that Rust got some closure near the end, because during the very first few episodes his character felt a bit trite. But they built him up enough that his nihilism didn't grate and showed him to be a layered character and fantastically played by McConaughey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

After letting the dust settle, I find the final episode to be a let down, still very good though. We aren't exposed to the killer until the last episode and suddenly we are in his home. It completely deviated from the way the show had been built up. The murder mystery was too exposed all of a sudden. The Dewall brothers are meaningless at this stage. We are all expecting some kind of ring of criminals but that can be forgiven. The red herrings along the way weren't helping at all. There was simply too much left to do in the final episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    Did people notice the few nods to True Blood throughout the series (especially the finale)? There were a good few little things that were similar especially the True Blood opening sequence.

Got that feeling as well myself watching the show with it being set in the south.The scenes around Errols house in the last episode with the Willow Trees was very reminiscent of True Blood.

just watched it today, it was decent

rust annoyed me alot of the time, hearing his lines I could just picture the writer with a hand down their trousers rubbing themselves furiously congratulating themselves on how clever they are.

and the end was pretty woeful.
    the rational atheist turns faithful angle was irritating but not out of place or anything, just irritating. the timing of rusts vision in the cave/fort thing just distracting him long enough that errol could get the jump on him, le yawn. superman errol the bullet sponge too, meh.

I really liked the nice bit of democratic propaganda thrown into one of the episodes where the evil sinister child raping christian minister talks about how he plans to use school choice vouchers to further his maniacal baby raping plans. It's a shame they played that one so subtle, a huge cigar and a fluffy white cat on his lap would have really driven the point home tastefully.
    I really don't think Rust found God at the end. You might read it that way but I don't. I think it's just something as simple as a near death experience just shifted his perspective a little bit.

Grimebox wrote: »
    After letting the dust settle, I find the final episode to be a let down, still very good though. We aren't exposed to the killer until the last episode and suddenly we are in his home. It completely deviated from the way the show had been built up. The murder mystery was too exposed all of a sudden. The Dewall brothers are meaningless at this stage. We are all expecting some kind of ring of criminals but that can be forgiven. The red herrings along the way weren't helping at all. There was simply too much left to do in the final episode.

Well we were exposed to the killer momentarily in the 95 arc, and then again at the end of episode 7.

I think it's just a lot like Twin Peaks, it's about the characters. I don't know, maybe that's a copout. But I don't see why we need a 'buildup' to the moment the killer is apprehended. It's certainly not why I found this so engaging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

snausages wrote: »
    Well we were exposed to the killer momentarily in the 95 arc, and then again at the end of episode 7.

I think it's just a lot like Twin Peaks, it's about the characters. I don't know, maybe that's a copout. But I don't see why we need a 'buildup' to the moment the killer is apprehended. It's certainly not why I found this so engaging.

I certainly found the show very engaging. One of my favourite shows I've ever seen in fact. In hindsight, there were just a lot of moments that came to nothing essentially. The tension added with eerie music with Rust's meeting with Reverand Tutle comes to mind.

I think the last two episodes were probably the weakest and overall a somewhat unsatisfactory coda to what came before. But then again the first 6 episodes set such a high standard that it's hard to follow.

I love that they humanised Rust at the end and I don't think it would have been wise to have them crack the Tutle ring wide open.

The green ears thing was very contrived though, I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Just finished this night before last & my overriding impression is that I don't really feel the plotting or pacing came anywhere near doing justice to the quality of performances. Felt a little uneven to me for that reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I would be inclined to agree that they left themselves with too much to do in the final episode, and the ultimate antagonist wasn't really satisfactory or justified the immense build-up. I think the show would have been better served if more had been made of the Tuttles. A great scene from the show is the meeting between Rust and the reverend. I don't understand the point of including a great scene like that only for it to amount to pretty much nothing and that character ultimately being killed off-screeen. It seemed like the show was building to some big reveal involving a lot of people up on high, and then it didn't really come to anything in the end. I think if they'd carried on with fleshing that side of things out rather than going down this other route of the Deliverance-esque cliché out in the sticks of the Deep South, it would have made for a much more satisfactory ending with a much more interesting villain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I would be inclined to agree that they left themselves with too much to do in the final episode, and the ultimate antagonist wasn't really satisfactory or justified the immense build-up. I think the show would have been better served if more had been made of the Tuttles. A great scene from the show is the meeting between Rust and the reverend. I don't understand the point of including a great scene like that only for it to amount to pretty much nothing and that character ultimately being killed off-screeen. It seemed like the show was building to some big reveal involving a lot of people up on high, and then it didn't really come to anything in the end. I think if they'd carried on with fleshing that side of things out rather than going down this other route of the Deliverance-esque cliché out in the sticks of the Deep South, it would have made for a much more satisfactory ending with a much more interesting villain.

I think part of the point was that in real life, you don't catch them all.

There's a scene that surmises this in the hospital. It wasn't about two plucky young Detectives taking down a child abuse ring.

It was an intense character study et al but the end point was that they didn;'t dismantle this hierarchy of abuse, but they made a dent.

Advertisement