Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Timmyctc wrote: »
    I think part of the point was that in real life, you don't catch them all.

There's a scene that surmises this in the hospital. It wasn't about two plucky young Detectives taking down a child abuse ring.

It was an intense character study et al but the end point was that they didn;'t dismantle this hierarchy of abuse, but they made a dent.

You don't have to catch them all in order to have a more interesting antagonist towards the end that actually fits with where the show was going at the beginning. It doesn't have to be this perfect ending where the good guys win in order to be interesting. I mean, the Errol character is such a cliche. We've seen that character in the movies for years now, and it's such a stereotype of the Deep South too. I just would have preferred an antagonist that was a bit more sophisticated, which I think would have been more in keeping with the first half of the series and where it seemed to be going. The Tuttle connection could have been fleshed out a bit more, and would have made for much more compelling viewing towards the end - people with some method in their madness. The show is much better than a cliche character like Errol, which is like something out of some sh*tty horror movie.

When I think back on the series now, I do think it trails a bit towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,699 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Just finished watching it, and judging by the few pages on this thread that i've read, i'm going to be in the minority here...

I didn't like it. Granted, excellent performances all round, especially from Harrelson and McConaughy, and while the story was interesting i just felt like it didn't go anywhere and was too drawn out. Some of the talking was also very hard to understand at times, and i found myself wishing that it would just hurry up and finish. I think it was a bit too wanting to be meaningful, for want of a better phrase. It just didn't entertain me.

I can get behind this. I thought it was good, but it pushed too hard to be cool and mysterious. Wasted a lot of time on silly scenes that did nothing. Also, they crammed far to much into the last couple of episodes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it insists upon itself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

I love The Money Pit.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Jessica Chastain has reportedly been offered a starring role in the second season of True Detective.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Wow, that sounds like a good choice. She's a great actress.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

She can certainly hold her own, I would be far more interested to see her take a go at season 2 than Brad Pitt, I think two female leads could be interesting, particularly if they can get actresses on Chastains caliber, sources say she hasn't accepted the role as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I hope this doesn't come off as sexist, but I hope they don't go with two females. I think they'd be doing it solely to balance the two males in the first season.
    I'd be far more interested in the dynamic of Chastain with a male lead. She could definitely carry a scene alongside Pitt. And you know it wouldn't go down the tired route of, "oh, lead male, lead female... will they/won't they", I'm sure they could create a far better relationship with them, especially with that sort of talent around.

Still rooting for Norton, just to shift his gears a little and remind him how to act!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    She can certainly hold her own, I would be far more interested to see her take a go at season 2 than Brad Pitt, I think two female leads could be interesting, particularly if they can get actresses on Chastains caliber, sources say she hasn't accepted the role as of yet.

i dunno i thought it was the male relationship between rust and marty that made season 1 so good. i don't think two female leads would work. I would be in favor of brad pitt and Chastain as the two mixed-gender leads

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

ricero wrote: »
    i dunno i thought it was the male relationship between rust and marty that made season 1 so good. i don't think two female leads would work. I would be in favor of brad pitt and Chastain as the two mixed-gender leads

Good call. I forgot that females are incapable of having compelling relationships.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

UPDATE: Jessica Chastain Not Starring in True Detective Season 2

There are far too many rumours floating about. Best to just wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Good call. I forgot that females are incapable of having compelling relationships.

Run a Bechdel Test, stat!

I would like 2 female leads, I think they could do something really interesting with it, far more interesting than Brad Pitt anyway, tbh I really hope they don't cast him, I'm not really fond of his work and I think it would be a really boring choice.

Really disappointed that Chastain isn't gonna do it, think she would have been great in this.

ricero wrote: »

Why don't you think that two female leads could make it work? Do women not have interesting, dynamic relationships?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

it would be interesting having a male/female mix, chastain and pitt i think could play well of each other, but i really wish they would sort it out at this point, im wondering if they even have a storyline to run by these actors yet, season 1 took 2-3 years to develop, i wouldnt be surprised if we didnt see season 2 till 2016,

there is no end to the speculation that will arise, literally any holywood A lister will be linked to this, simply because matthew won an oscar,

• Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I hope this doesn't come off as sexist, but I hope they don't go with two females. I think they'd be doing it solely to balance the two males in the first season.
    I'd be far more interested in the dynamic of Chastain with a male lead. She could definitely carry a scene alongside Pitt. And you know it wouldn't go down the tired route of, "oh, lead male, lead female... will they/won't they", I'm sure they could create a far better relationship with them, especially with that sort of talent around.

Still rooting for Norton, just to shift his gears a little and remind him how to act!

Edward Norton would be brilliant and also would love to see Joaquin Phoenix or Josh Brolin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Interesting...

More details have emerged about the cast and setting of “True Detective” season two, which will have three new leads, according to creator Nic Pizzolatto.

http://m.imdb.com/news/ni57226888/?ref_=hm_nw_tv_t1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Where had we seen the green painted house earlier in the series? I assume Marty didn't just pull out a picture of some random house he'd seen 17 years ago?

It's interesting that that was a realisation that could have been made at any time during the previous 17 years. It wasn't based on any new information in 2002 or 2012.

If this story was something I heard about in real life, I would still think Rust was somehow involved with the cult or knew more than he let on. Too many unexplained coincidences and he also attacked someone who could have been a key witness. Strange for someone who is normally so calm and logical. Also everytime it looked like the case would be taken from them, he suddenly had a brainwave. The writer seemed to really want the viewer to think Rust was criminally involved.

Great show all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Heard on the radio that the creator is disagreeing with HBO over the amount of time allotted to film the next series.

First series took 2 years of filming but apparently the next season is expected to be completed in only 1 and this is proving problematic.

*Will search for sources when less drunk xoxo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Where had we seen the green painted house earlier in the series? I assume Marty didn't just pull out a picture of some random house he'd seen 17 years ago?

It's interesting that that was a realisation that could have been made at any time during the previous 17 years. It wasn't based on any new information in 2002 or 2012.

If this story was something I heard about in real life, I would still think Rust was somehow involved with the cult or knew more than he let on. Too many unexplained coincidences and he also attacked someone who could have been a key witness. Strange for someone who is normally so calm and logical. Also everytime it looked like the case would be taken from them, he suddenly had a brainwave. The writer seemed to really want the viewer to think Rust was criminally involved.

Great show all the same.

The green painted house was shown in one of the first few episodes, they even showed Rust taking a picture of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Heard on the radio that the creator is disagreeing with HBO over the amount of time allotted to film the next series.

First series took 2 years of filming.

It probably took 2 years from being commissioned to being on air but they certainly weren't filming for 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    It probably took 2 years from being commissioned to being on air but they certainly weren't filming for 2 years.

They filmed for around 100 days according to Fukunaga.

1 of the 2 years involved a year or so sorting out the particulars of how the show will work, where they can film, who they can get, so now that season 1 is done most of the ground work has been done, which should save a lot of time, i cant see why they cant get it out in a year, surely they planned ahead a bit,

your working in TV which requires a series each year, it cant be that surprising that they want another season next year,

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    They filmed for around 100 days according to Fukunaga.

Sorry was drunk. Meant the whole process took 2 years. They're expected to get this one out in 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

don ramo wrote: »
    1 of the 2 years involved a year or so sorting out the particulars of how the show will work, where they can film, who they can get, so now that season 1 is done most of the ground work has been done, which should save a lot of time, i cant see why they cant get it out in a year, surely they planned ahead a bit,

your working in TV which requires a series each year, it cant be that surprising that they want another season next year,

Is the ground work done though? If they use the exact same locations, then yes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Grimebox wrote: »

Writer says it will be in California:

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/true-detective-season-two-to-feature-three-leads-california-locale-20140527

I wonder if this will makes things easier as most of the inside sets would probably be in California and that is usually where most people involve live anyway; although then again California is a huge state.

Grimebox wrote: »
    yeah it kind of is done really, they done season 1 and now they have the recognition, they know all the processes, they should have been running ideas for scripts not long after season 1 was wrapped, locations dont really matter, anywhere would be happy to have them, and personally i think any actor would be more than happy to give the show 6 months of their lives, especially after all the recognition the 2 boys got,

they now have a great reputation, and thats half the battle of making any show, the thing is can they follow it up, and it looks like their very wary of that themselves, which is probably why their asking for an extra year to make it, but the problem there is that cast and crew members have to be kept on a retainer which is gonna cost HBO money,

yeah it kind of is done really, they done season 1 and now they have the recognition, they know all the processes, they should have been running ideas for scripts not long after season 1 was wrapped, locations dont really matter, anywhere would be happy to have them, and personally i think any actor would be more than happy to give the show 6 months of their lives, especially after all the recognition the 2 boys got,

they now have a great reputation, and thats half the battle of making any show, the thing is can they follow it up, and it looks like their very wary of that themselves, which is probably why their asking for an extra year to make it, but the problem there is that cast and crew members have to be kept on a retainer which is gonna cost HBO money,

They didnt ask for an extra year they asked for the same amount of time this season as they were afforded last season.

Also, while you believe many things may happen. It doesn't necessarily mean this will occur.

They didnt ask for an extra year they asked for the same amount of time this season as they were afforded last season.

Also, while you believe many things may happen. It doesn't necessarily mean this will occur.
    well it shouldnt be a surprise to them that TV shows produce a season every year, all new shows go through a year of development before anything is set in stone about proceeding with actually making the show, its completely standard, im not in the tv industry and even i know that,

starz have a show that they've been planing on making for 3 years now, their just trying to work out the economics of how the show can be made within a certain budget, and once they get the in and outs sorted the show will go into production and pump out a season each year till its cancelled,

its true that things may not occur the way i believe, but just because they dont get their first choice of actors to play the role doesnt mean its the end of the world, plenty of films and tv shows have had to deal with not getting their first choice person to play a role that was specifically designed with that person in mind, only in the end to be given to another actor who may of may not make the roll their own in the end,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

but the problem there is that cast and crew members have to be kept on a retainer which is gonna cost HBO money,

That's not how it works in that industry. Retainers are unheard of. Major talent (stars, director) will eventually sign up to a pay-or-play contract. The rest of the cast and crew are easily replaceable and will be grateful for the work.

Advertisement