Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

don ramo wrote: »
    yeah it kind of is done really, they done season 1 and now they have the recognition, they know all the processes, they should have been running ideas for scripts not long after season 1 was wrapped, locations dont really matter, anywhere would be happy to have them, and personally i think any actor would be more than happy to give the show 6 months of their lives, especially after all the recognition the 2 boys got,

they now have a great reputation, and thats half the battle of making any show, the thing is can they follow it up, and it looks like their very wary of that themselves, which is probably why their asking for an extra year to make it, but the problem there is that cast and crew members have to be kept on a retainer which is gonna cost HBO money,

I think you're massively underestimating how long it takes to find a suitable outdoor location and film there. Nothing has changed from the first season. They were always backed by HBO, "recognition" changes nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

2 things

1. What was exactly in the video tape of the young girl?

2. Has anyone got the season dvd yet and what's it like in terms of extras?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

2 things

She was raped and killed in the video, obviously they weren't going to show it but the viewer was shown enough to work out what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

2 things

Judging by Martys reaction I assume he got rick rolled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Just caught up on this now and have to say I really enjoyed it. Great acting, loved how Marty came to the realization that Rust was his friend - can't remember exactly when, think it was when they were in hospital and he gets out of bed saying he's worried about 'his friend'.

That might be completely wrong as I watched in one go! But it was a nice development for Marty to finally call him a friend.

From atmospheric location, great music and fantastic characters, a great watch. Also pleased they didn't go for a huge plot twist shocker type of ending, was more like reading a novel.

Best partnership suggestion I have seen for Season 2 is Sally Draper and Arya Stark - I'm sold!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

From the blu-ray.com review:
    • Audio Commentaries: Although True Detective is an eight-episode event, only two audio commentaries are available: "Who Goes There" (Episode 4) with series creator/executive producer/writer Nic Pizzolatto and composer T Bone Burnett, and "The Secret Fate of All Life" (Episode 5) with Pizzolatto, Burnett and executive producer Scott Stephens. The fact that six episodes go without a track will be terribly disappointing to those itching for every last insight into the series, but the showmakers cover a lot of ground in two-plus hours, despite allowing too many stretches of silence to creep in.
    • Making True Detective (HD, 15 minutes): The only downside to this surprisingly extensive production overview is its relatively short runtime. Otherwise, it's essential supplemental viewing. Chapters include "The Story," "Cohle and Hart," "Script to Screen," "7 Minutes of Hell," "Louisiana," "The Look," "Creating a Crime Scene" and "Hand of the Killer."
    • Up Close with Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson (HD, 8 minutes): McConaughey and Harrelson chat about their characters as explored and revealed over the course of three crucial sequences, then reflect on their experience working on the series. Segments include "The Dinner Scene," "The Fight Scene," "The Bar Scene" and "Fatigue."
    • A Conversation with Nic Pizzolatto and T Bone Burnett (HD, 14 minutes): There's some overlap between Pizzolatto and Burnett's "Conversation" and commentaries, but the benefit here is editing. The conversation is more engaging and informative, or perhaps just more focused. Either way, it's definitely worth watching.
    • Inside the Episodes (HD, 36 minutes): Each episode of True Detective's first season includes a four to five-minute behind-the-scenes featurette in which Pizzolatto and key members of the cast and crew discuss everything from that episode's title to its place in the overarching storylines to challenges encountered during production.
    • Deleted Scenes (HD, 10 minutes): Two lengthy but inconsequential deleted scenes -- the first from "The Locked Room" (Episode 3), the second from "Form and Void" (Episode 8) -- round out the package.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/True-Detective-Blu-ray/94446/#Review

Not a great selection. I love audio commentaries and only having two here is a bit poor on their part, especially compared to shows like Mad Men and Game of Thrones which have loads of commentary tracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

From the blu-ray.com review:
    • Audio Commentaries: Although True Detective is an eight-episode event, only two audio commentaries are available: "Who Goes There" (Episode 4) with series creator/executive producer/writer Nic Pizzolatto and composer T Bone Burnett, and "The Secret Fate of All Life" (Episode 5) with Pizzolatto, Burnett and executive producer Scott Stephens. The fact that six episodes go without a track will be terribly disappointing to those itching for every last insight into the series, but the showmakers cover a lot of ground in two-plus hours, despite allowing too many stretches of silence to creep in.
    • Making True Detective (HD, 15 minutes): The only downside to this surprisingly extensive production overview is its relatively short runtime. Otherwise, it's essential supplemental viewing. Chapters include "The Story," "Cohle and Hart," "Script to Screen," "7 Minutes of Hell," "Louisiana," "The Look," "Creating a Crime Scene" and "Hand of the Killer."
    • Up Close with Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson (HD, 8 minutes): McConaughey and Harrelson chat about their characters as explored and revealed over the course of three crucial sequences, then reflect on their experience working on the series. Segments include "The Dinner Scene," "The Fight Scene," "The Bar Scene" and "Fatigue."
    • A Conversation with Nic Pizzolatto and T Bone Burnett (HD, 14 minutes): There's some overlap between Pizzolatto and Burnett's "Conversation" and commentaries, but the benefit here is editing. The conversation is more engaging and informative, or perhaps just more focused. Either way, it's definitely worth watching.
    • Inside the Episodes (HD, 36 minutes): Each episode of True Detective's first season includes a four to five-minute behind-the-scenes featurette in which Pizzolatto and key members of the cast and crew discuss everything from that episode's title to its place in the overarching storylines to challenges encountered during production.
    • Deleted Scenes (HD, 10 minutes): Two lengthy but inconsequential deleted scenes -- the first from "The Locked Room" (Episode 3), the second from "Form and Void" (Episode 8) -- round out the package.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/True-Detective-Blu-ray/94446/#Review

Not a great selection. I love audio commentaries and only having two here is a bit poor on their part, especially compared to shows like Mad Men and Game of Thrones which have loads of commentary tracks.

Thanks for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Four lead characters next season.
    At first Pizzolatto said season two would have three leads, but now he tells the Daily Beast that's not quite true anymore. "That ballooned a little bit. I would say there are four central roles," he says now. And we'll have to "wait and see" if any of the leads are women, so that is an exciting development. It's still set in California, though, so we can definitely bank on someone wearily removing his or her sunglasses at some point and staring dejectedly at the cruel battle between the hubris of man and the violent permanent chaos of nature.

http://www.vulture.com/2014/07/true-detective-will-have-four-leads-now.html?mid=twitter_vulture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

Raf32 wrote: »

:eek:

Farrell choosing a good project???

In fairness he probably would have turned down the first series with his track record of picking projects!

He would be a great choice though as he has the chops.

Would like to see him with someone like Jeff Daniels (mad, I know!). That would be awesome, for me at least...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I have my doubts about Farrell, but then plenty of people had their doubts about McConaughey I guess and that turned out great.

I have my doubts about Farrell, but then plenty of people had their doubts about McConaughey I guess and that turned out great.

I've no doubts about Farrell's potential. I have serious doubts about his choice of material.

It might sound counter-intuitive but this could be his big break (again!).

Hadn't considered him at all but I'm quite excited about the possibility of him in TD.

Now hopefully his agent/reader/manager has the same opinion...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Was thinking the same, be interesting to see if gets a role!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I just finished it.Great show, the acting,cinematography and atmosphere are what make it really stand out.

Like the idea of the series dealing with a new case and different characters each time as it means they show won't go stale.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Colin Farrell is a good choice, pairing him with Edward Norton or Michael Sheen would be awesome imo

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Colin Farrell is a good choice, pairing him with Edward Norton or Michael Sheen would be awesome imo
    I think Norton would be a great choice - he's a good actor but, like Farrell, has taken some terrible career choices of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭squonk

Is Colin Farrell cast already?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

squonk wrote: »
    Is Colin Farrell cast already?

He's in talks for the role but I don't think it's confirmed that he has it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Average-Ro wrote: »

I don't like Bale :o So I'm okay with this :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

^^^^

What!?

crack_what.gif

Timmyctc wrote: »
    I don't like Bale :o So I'm okay with this :P
    Yeah, I've found him to be over-rated as well - that or not doing much with his roles of late.

A friend of mine has slightly turned me off Bale just by constantly going on about how great he is all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Aside from being one of the most bland leading men of recent memory, Bale also has a reputation of being "difficult to work with". Thats fine for movies, but with a TV show...?, maybe the showrunners are being diplomatic about him turning it down.
    I'm sure somebody will be along soon with a cape and a costume for him to hide behind.

Article here that mentions a few different names including Cate Blanchett and Joaquin Phoenix, which would be kind of amazing casting.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/true-detective-season-2-details-casting-rumors/

I have a feeling though neither of them would actually do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Aside from being one of the most bland leading men of recent memory, Bale also has a reputation of being "difficult to work with". Thats fine for movies, but with a TV show...?, maybe the showrunners are being diplomatic about him turning it down.
    I'm sure somebody will be along soon with a cape and a costume for him to hide behind.

What kind of rubbish is that. Bale is one fantastic actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

And if people found it hard to discipher dialogue in the first series...

FearDark wrote: »
    What kind of rubbish is that. Bale is one fantastic actor.
    I used to think so but, for whatever reason, I find he grates now. And yes I've seen "The Machinist", "The Fighter", "American Hustle", etc.

Mr. Phoenix would be an excellent choice.

• Advertisement

:)

Love it.

Bale is top of my 5 celebrities I'd like to fight list:D

He's a poor man's Tom Hardy.

Advertisement