Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I finished this tonight after starting it a couple of weeks ago. Very enjoyable IMO. I was a little dissatisfied with the ending, I'm not entirely sure why to be honest, I felt it lacked that little bit of something but overall it was an excellent show.

I really wouldn't be sure on a 2nd season however. It just wouldn't be the same for me without Rust and Marty.

True Detective would have been the perfect show to buck the trend and say "we've done a superb first season which will always be critically acclaimed, we've rounded out the story with no loose ends, we'll leave it at that." Now it risks going like so many of its counterparts and taking away from the quality of the show with an extra season (and the inevitable season 3, 4 and 5).

Hey, it might surprise and be excellent, but True Detective for me will always be Rust and Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Paully D wrote: »
    I finished this tonight after starting it a couple of weeks ago. Very enjoyable IMO. I was a little dissatisfied with the ending, I'm not entirely sure why to be honest, I felt it lacked that little bit of something but overall it was an excellent show.

I really wouldn't be sure on a 2nd season however. It just wouldn't be the same for me without Rust and Marty.

True Detective would have been the perfect show to buck the trend and say "we've done a superb first season which will always be critically acclaimed, we've rounded out the story with no loose ends, we'll leave it at that." Now it risks going like so many of its counterparts and taking away from the quality of the show with an extra season (and the inevitable season 3, 4 and 5).

Hey, it might surprise and be excellent, but True Detective for me will always be Rust and Marty.

The reason many of the shows you are referring to drop in quality, is that writers simply run out of ideas with the characters and things tend to get messy, TD is starting with new characters and a new story so I don't see why the quality cannot continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭qwabercd

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    The reason many of the shows you are referring to drop in quality, is that writers simply run out of ideas with the characters and things tend to get messy, TD is starting with new characters and a new story so I don't see why the quality cannot continue.

For me, I'll view the second series completely independently of the first. The show will have the same name, but that's about it. Different storyline & characters..if it's bad it won't detract from my enjoyment of the first series.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

qwabercd wrote: »
    For me, I'll view the second series completely independently of the first. The show will have the same name, but that's about it. Different storyline & characters..if it's bad it won't detract from my enjoyment of the first series.

Yep, I'd agree with that.

I think there will be common themes, I think that each season will share a TD trademark as it were.....striking cinematography, dark storylines, flawed central characters and visceral violence...

I'm looking forward to the new season more so as it is now rather than if it was Rust and Marty going again

• Registered Users Posts: 86,486 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

VV as the main lead, that must be a wind up. Can't picture him in anything other than mediocre comedy's.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    VV as the main lead, that must be a wind up. Can't picture him in anything other than mediocre comedy's.

TBF he started out as a dramatic actor in films like Swingers, A Cool Dry Place, Return to Paradise and Clay Pigeons etc.,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

He's not a bad actor, and certainly has the Californian vibe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

TBF same coulda been said about Mc Conaghey not too long ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Kinda disappointed with the lack of talk about the female lead since the Jessica Chastain rumour.

Not all that psyched at the thought of Vince Vaughn honestly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Wouldn't be enthused at all about this but then, as mentioned, I'd have said the same for McConnaughey a few years ago. Sure even Adam Sandler actually has some acting chops (Punch-Drunk Love) so maybe Vaughn has too.
    Having said that, every bloody actor in Hollywood has had their name attached by now so who knows if it's being actually considered.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Pauly Shore now rumoured.

Pauly Shore now rumoured.

For the female lead :p

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Kinda disappointed with the lack of talk about the female lead since the Jessica Chastain rumour.

Not all that psyched at the thought of Vince Vaughn honestly.

Elisabeth Moss (Peggy from Mad Men) is the latest actress rumoured to be attached.

den87 wrote: »
    Elisabeth Moss (Peggy from Mad Men) is the latest actress rumoured to be attached.

She already played in flawed cop in Top of the Lake very well

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

den87 wrote: »
    Who is putting out these rumours? Since every actor ever has now been named, maybe all it takes is a passerby to hear an actor say the word "true" and suddenly they're up for a role in "True Detective". Never seen such casting rumour mill for a TV show

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

ixoy wrote: »
    Who is putting out these rumours? Since every actor ever has now been named, maybe all it takes is a passerby to hear an actor say the word "true" and suddenly they're up for a role in "True Detective". Never seen such casting rumour mill for a TV show

**Below link could contain potential spoilers**

http://www.avclub.com/article/elisabeth-moss-also-talks-true-detective-which-we--207765

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    She already played in flawed cop in Top of the Lake very well

I feel that casting did both her and the show a disservice. I couldn't get past the terrible accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

im kinda getting sick of it at this stage, weve gone from Christian Bale and Brad Pitt, to Vince Vaughn and Taylor Kitsch,

at this point i dont care who the hell they cast, just ****ing cast someone already and get on with it, theres no way at this point that theyll have the show out in the first half of 2015,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Ughhh Vince Vaughn...?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

It looks like it will be Colin Farrell and Taylor Kitsch in the leading roles with VV playing the villain.

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/true-detective-season-2-plot-details-lets-get-a-head-start-on-the-rampant-speculation/

Can't say I'm mad about any of those choices.

Can't say I'm mad about any of those choices.

Again. In the last few years Mc Conaghey and Harrelson weren't exactly setting the world alight with their choice of roles, or their performances for that matter.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Again. In the last few years Mc Conaghey and Harrelson weren't exactly setting the world alight with their choice of roles, or their performances for that matter.

No, but I don't really think every actor is capable of pulling a McConaughey. I don't really think his career turnaround should just become the thing to expect from mediocre actors now. It was surprising precisely because it's so unlikely.

Still, I'm willing to remain open-minded. The railroad scandal angle of the plot sounds very interesting. I'm keen to see what they'll do with that. The rough sex/occult thing sounds a bit cliched though.

No, but I don't really think every actor is capable of pulling a McConaughey. I don't really think his career turnaround should just become the thing to expect from mediocre actors now. It was surprising precisely because it's so unlikely.

Still, I'm willing to remain open-minded. The railroad scandal angle of the plot sounds very interesting. I'm keen to see what they'll do with that. The rough sex/occult thing sounds a bit cliched though.

Well Moss and Farrell have shown great acting performances in the past, so I don't really know what anyone's worry there is. Kitsch doesn't have as large a career so its hard to know what to expect from him.
    Vaughn has had some snippets of good acting throughout this career. It will have skewed people's view of him in the role that his last 10 million (not exact figure) roles have been the exact same.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

don ramo wrote: »
    at this point i dont care who the hell they cast, just ****ing cast someone already and get on with it, theres no way at this point that theyll have the show out in the first half of 2015,

It's not like casting is the only holdup. It would be happening in parallel to other things. I agree that we've been hearing far too much about that, but I'd assume it's the media to blame and not the producers.

Remember that a whole new original season 2 script needs to be written, then preparation like scouting out locations for it, etc. They wouldn't have written it until after season 1 started airing and it was renewed. Unlike most other shows, they have two big disadvantages to quickly churning out scripts for a new season. One, it was all written by a single writer in a single voice, rather than written by a whole team of different writers. Two, it is a whole new premise with new characters, so they can't just return to a familiar setting and move the existing plot forward. A proper script comparable to the quality of season 1 would have to take time, which means they have time to attend to all the other details.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Timmyctc wrote: »

Exactly I don't understand why loads of people complaining about Vaughn and Farrell.

As you said Harrelson and McConaughey (more so McConaughey) weren't exactly considered word class actors by most people. They both had their fair share of questionable movies. But great performances changed a lot of doubters minds.

It will be harder for the new cast because of the great performances they followed compared to season 1 where there was no particular bar set, but I am really looking forward to it.

A good script coupled with good performances can help these actors change what people think of them just like McConaughey and Harrelson did. I can't wait to see how it goes but surely with the same crew (bar actors) working on it, it should be good.

Not a fan of Vaughn but that said he was pretty good as the villain in Clay Pigeons so hopefully he may surprise us. As for Farrell and Kitsch, well honestly I'm rather looking forward to seeing them give this a shot. Both are actors whom I like and feel that they never get the respect they deserve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭squonk

I think Farrell can act so I'm not too worried about him. I haven't seen Vaughan outside of comic roles but I suspect the guy has depth. I think we might just be surprised really.

Talking of McConaughey, I don't think he necessarily pulled anything. He always had that performance in him. Early on in movies like "A Time To Kill" you could certainly see that. He just went with the money and I suppose it was easy to get cast in romcoms because of his looks and the fact he had form in the area. He did well also in Dallas Buyers Club and I'd seen him in another movie last year, Killer Joe or something (which I thought was crap but he still put in a good performance).

Advertisement