Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

squonk wrote: »
    Talking of McConaughey, I don't think he necessarily pulled anything. He always had that performance in him. Early on in movies like "A Time To Kill" you could certainly see that. He just went with the money and I suppose it was easy to get cast in romcoms because of his looks and the fact he had form in the area. He did well also in Dallas Buyers Club and I'd seen him in another movie last year, Killer Joe or something (which I thought was crap but he still put in a good performance).

I think most aren't saying he was a bad actor but that he wasn't considered a brilliant actor by the majority of people. Same story with Farrell and Vaughn in my minds. Capable of being very good.

McConnaughey was very good in Mud and Killer Joe just before True Detective but they were films that both did poor in the box office and weren't really talked about.

I hope people give the new cast a decent chance. I'd be really excited to see Farrell in it as a cop and Vaughn as a shady character.

I think it will be hard for them though. The first season had the benefit of no expectations as no one knew how good the show would be. The second season will be expected to be just as good now and I imagine a lot of people will complain about it for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Anachrony wrote: »
    It's not like casting is the only holdup. It would be happening in parallel to other things. I agree that we've been hearing far too much about that, but I'd assume it's the media to blame and not the producers.

Remember that a whole new original season 2 script needs to be written, then preparation like scouting out locations for it, etc. They wouldn't have written it until after season 1 started airing and it was renewed. Unlike most other shows, they have two big disadvantages to quickly churning out scripts for a new season. One, it was all written by a single writer in a single voice, rather than written by a whole team of different writers. Two, it is a whole new premise with new characters, so they can't just return to a familiar setting and move the existing plot forward. A proper script comparable to the quality of season 1 would have to take time, which means they have time to attend to all the other details.

true alright, but fargo and american horror story have the same obstacles to overcome, their the same as TD in that they get whole new casts and stories each season granted fargo is also going into its second season,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I don't look too much into those sort of stories. Seems like just in an attempt to gain views.

There are similarities between Ligotti's philosophies as Rust's but they had stated before that many writers philosophies have influenced his character.

Also the whole pessimistic look at the human existence has been around for centuries, Ligotti himself has been influenced by other writers.

I think calling it plagiarism is a bit of a stretch in my view. Even if wording is similar for some of the things he says. This philosophy doesn't belong to one person and has been around for a long time. It is only natural that Rust's character would be influenced by these.

Obviously peoples opinions differ but I see it as the character being influenced by these philosophies and maybe playing homage to the writers.

I could be wrong but didn't Pizzolatto mention the like of Ligotti and many other philosophers and writers as influences around the time the second episode was out.

I'm sorry for writing a lot but I remember reading the blog post a while ago and at first people were talking about it as influences, now as straight up plagiarism, it seems like it is trying to take away from what a good season it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I know it won't happen but it would be great to see Sean Penn and Russell Crowe team up for series 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Something that struck me when re-watching a couple of episodes earlier:

When Marty's daughter draws the sexual pictures and has her dolls and figures lined up re-creating the scene of what could be presumed to be a gang-rape, is this meant to lead one to assume that she has been subjected to the same thing perhaps by the Yellow King and co?

Was there ever an explanation given for this scene or did anyone ever go in to more detail on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Paully D wrote: »

When Marty's daughter draws the sexual pictures and has her dolls and figures lined up re-creating the scene of what could be presumed to be a gang-rape, is this meant to lead one to assume that she has been subjected to the same thing perhaps by the Yellow King and co?

Was there ever an explanation given for this scene or did anyone ever go in to more detail on it?

There was a lot of speculation at the time that Marty's daughters (and maybe even father in law) were caught up in the monstrosities but ultimately I think there was actually no involvement at all, I might be wrong but Pizzolatto might have confirmed this in an interview. Twas a bit of a tease really ( I mean that in a non-paedopheallic way).

Paully D wrote: »

I felt that it was more to show how caught up in his work Marty was than anything else. Any father who saw that would be worried and try to see where it was coming form but Marty just shrugged his shoulders and got on with things. It showed how detached from his family he had become and how much his perfect father routine was nothing but a cheap facade he put on.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,486 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The latest actresses linked to the new series is Brit Marling, Kelly Reilly, Malin Akerman, Rachel McAdams and Elisabeth Moss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Girlfriend bought me the first season on DVD - is there anything good on the bonus and extra's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭squonk

Kelly Reilly, Malin Ackerman? Not sounding promising :(

Needs more Alexandra Daddario's t*ts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The latest actresses linked to the new series is Brit Marling, Kelly Reilly, Malin Akerman, Rachel McAdams and Elisabeth Moss

Knowing S1's cast won't be back was bad enough, the fact that the new cast has not been confirmed and filming has not started is disappointing at this stage
    All these names being thrown around reminds me of the baseless speculation of footballer transfer rumours.
    Even Farrell and Vaughan have still not been officially confirmed
    Girlfriend bought me the first season on DVD - is there anything good on the bonus and extra's?

You could watch them and tell us?..

D-FENS wrote: »
    Knowing S1's cast won't be back was bad enough, the fact that the new cast has not been confirmed and filming has not started is disappointing at this stage
    All these names being thrown around reminds me of the baseless speculation of footballer transfer rumours.
    Even Farrell and Vaughan have still not been officially confirmed

You could watch them and tell us?..

True :D

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭scottmcb04

id rather if they took there time in writing a decent script to try and match the first season... a good script will draw big names... im in no rush to see season 2 as long as it comes close in quality to the first, ill have the patience to wait and speculate over who they are going to get!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I was never a fan of Colin Farrell but then I went to see Saving Mr Banks just before crimbo and he made a believer out of me, he was brilliant in that movie. So he definitley has it in him to put in a great perfomance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Farrell has confirmed he is is going to be in series 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

tunguska wrote: »
    I was never a fan of Colin Farrell but then I went to see Saving Mr Banks just before crimbo and he made a believer out of me, he was brilliant in that movie. So he definitley has it in him to put in a great perfomance.

Farrell was excellent early in his career. He cashed out and made a tonne of money starring in crap movies (who can blame him) but he's a foine actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭brevity

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/23/6834653/vince-vaughn-and-colin-farrell-will-star-in-the-next-season-of-true

Vince Vaughan will also star in the new series...will be interesting to see how he performs.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,640 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I really was hoping for Ed Norton.

Vaughan is a very interesting choice though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Two interesting choices if Vince signs on.
    Both definitely have big performances in their repertoire, although it's been a while since they showcased it.

Nothing but faith; four/five years ago who would have predicted Woody & Matt being such a powerhouse duo!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Farrell and Vaughn now confirmed by HBO as the new leads. Fast and Furious director Justin Lin announced as director of the first two episodes, with Nic Pizzolatto returning as writer.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s232/true-detective/news/a598693/vince-vaughn-colin-farrell-confirmed-as-true-detective-season-2-leads.html#~oQJkjzlsYs1IBI

Lin is a great choice, he's one of the most exciting big budget directors working and while not for everyone his work on the Fast and the Furious franchise has been impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Vince Vaughn? Has he ever acted in a serious role?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Psycho?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Whatever happened to the second season having a female main character? I know there’s more cast still to be announced, but I assume they would have waited if their role was significant enough.

I’m not familiar with Lin, but I guess that confirms that they won’t have the same director doing the whole season again. Shame since the consistency of directorial vision was one of things that attracted me to the first season. But I guess Pizzolatto didn’t like sharing creative control with Fukunaga.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Hmm Farrell doesn't concern me but I've yet to be impressed by anything done by Vaughn as the majority of his output is comedy.
    And no anyone who has seen Mudd, Killer Joe, etc would not have doubted McConaugheys talent as it was already evident, just under utilised until recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

This will have to depend on the script. Both McConaughey and Woody were proven A listers (even the rom-coms showed our Matt could carry a movie). These two are distinctly a grade or two down from that pairing. I was hoping for something like Ed Norton and John Goodman.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

This will have to depend on the script. Both McConaughey and Woody were proven A listers (even the rom-coms showed our Matt could carry a movie). These two are distinctly a grade or two down from that pairing. I was hoping for something like Ed Norton and John Goodman.

Not sure i'd class Harrleson as a proven A lister tbh

Farrell has shown he is capable of really effective perofrmances, no worries there imo. VV is a bit of a wildcard, but no reason why he couldn't be a pleasant surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Not sure i'd class Harrleson as a proven A lister tbh

Farrell has shown he is capable of really effective perofrmances, no worries there imo. VV is a bit of a wildcard, but no reason why he couldn't be a pleasant surprise.

Proven character actor for sure (unlike Vaughan) - and the ghost of Natural Born Killers always hung over TD 1 because of his presence.

Advertisement