Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Roquentin wrote: »
    ill wait to get it on dvd

record it!

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

I will wait for the dvd too.
    I bought the first series & watched it over the weekend . Its kinda perfect for that as I dont think there is a better 8 hours of back to back Tv out there?

I don't really like Mcconaghay as a person , the lack of a sense of humour, a kind of narcissistic personality and the likleyhood he might take offense to the smallest thing would grate me about him but when it comes to acting I guess these things dont matter , cause this performance is top of the tree stuff.
    His character was brilliantly written though with the Buddha type philosophies (alot of which are imo. were more truisms that the writer could quite possibly have belived in himself and wanted to filter through the character of Rusty)

On religion/evangelism for eg when the two lads went to the travelling church

"Transference of fear and self-loathing to an authoritarian vessel, it's catharsis,he absorbs their dread with his narrative , because of this he's effective in proportion to the amount of certainty he can project.
    Certain linguistic anthropologists think that religion is a language virus that rewrites pathways in the brain, dulls critical thinking."

All the philosophies , on the human specfies, pro creation, linear time etc are so well written & incorporated into the Rusty character that its what makes this script a cut above anything else. On top of that there's the complex plot, locations and back stories & pacing . Think it took six months to film but probably the character's scripts alone took three times that.

It would be great if he can create two equally brilliant & complex characters for the second one but I'm not sure if thats possible.Also to match the plot of the first would take incredible skill & imagination. Its the whole difficult 2nd album thing .
    Anyway I'm sure it will still be good, atmospheric etc but maybe filmed in digital this time around too.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,488 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

The trailers have been pretty epic so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

They look like trailers for just another anonymous b movie, complete with colm farrell doing some mumbling-is-serious-acting routine.

Compared to the season 1 trailer...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

When will Season 2 be on our screens?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

el diablo wrote: »
    When will Season 2 be on our screens?

Airs 21st on HBO in America and I'm guessing sky Atlantic will be airing it the night after each week so 22nd probably

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

I can genuinely see great performances from the 4 main characters.

It looks really really good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It will be interesting to see Vince Vaughan in a serious role for a change, doing comedy is one this but a series like this is a whole different ball game.

Farrell on the other hand has shown he can act so he is probably a safe bet in the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

Farrell on the other hand has shown he can act.

When?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭brevity

McAdams is the only once I'm concerned about here...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

When?

Thought he was good in Harts War and Tigerland.

brevity wrote: »
    McAdams is the only once I'm concerned about here...

I'd be more concerned with her character than her actual acting because I think she's a decent actress and will, similar to Vaughan and Kitsch, be out to prove that. What I'm worried about with the character is if they put her in there as a means to appease the whingers who complained about no female characters in season 1, even though season 1 was all about two male partners and their completely sh!t lives, and went overboard and created some unrealistic, tryhard action hero character out of her that can beat the sh!t out of 200lbs men.

I would like to see her character be similar to Rust with regards to philosophy and considering humanity a virus to earth (but not go off the deep end as much as Rust seemed to have gone) and she just does her part to try and clean up and endless mess of corruption, which it seems to be from what we hear from her in the trailers.

Really hope Vaughan steals the show being honest because it'd be great if S02 of True Detectives was the point people looked at and said that's where Vaughan kind of turned things around. He's old enough now to play some serious, 'senior' roles.

Seriously just want more interesting undertones to the show like the first season.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Really hope Vaughan steals the show being honest because it'd be great if S02 of True Detectives was the point people looked at and said that's where Vaughan kind of turned things around. He's old enough now to play some serious, 'senior' roles.

Seriously just want more interesting undertones to the show like the first season.

I really think Vaughn is a good actor. I remember watching some of his serious roles in the beginning of his career and rated him very highly. Comedy is a hard thing to be taken seriously in, especially the ones he did and the roles he had.

I'm expecting him and Farrell to be stand out in this season. Too many people will try compare it to the first, but if you enjoy this as a standalone I fully expect the performances to be brilliant.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I really think Vaughn is a good actor. I remember watching some of his serious roles in the beginning of his career and rated him very highly. Comedy is a hard thing to be taken seriously in, especially the ones he did and the roles he had.

I'm expecting him and Farrell to be stand out in this season. Too many people will try compare it to the first, but if you enjoy this as a standalone I fully expect the performances to be brilliant.

A lot of us here will be able to go in with an open mind to the actors but you know there'll be a bias against Vaughan from a lot of people who just won't allow themselves to see past the actor and just watch the character. Would be sh!t if he actually did great but it became 'the cool thing to do' to just hate on him and everyone joined in, then he'd probably stick to doing terrible comedies forever lol. Would be great if there was a massive positive reaction to him though and he took it as a sign to do a little McConnaughy on his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Remind Me Tomorrow

The only connection with season 1 is the title and the chief protagonists being detectives. Anyone who tries to compare it to season 1 misses the point and will not have much of an argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭volchitsa

The only connection with season 1 is the title and the chief protagonists being detectives. Anyone who tries to compare it to season 1 misses the point and will not have much of an argument.

If that really is all they have in common I'll feel somewhat cheated, tbh. Shouldn't it be like a collection of short stories, where there is often a theme or some other link connecting the stories? Otherwise it's just another detective story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Same writer too.

Apart from that I agree with you.

• Advertisement

There'll surely be some Easter eggs connecting the two throughout though? As in stuff not explicitly connecting the two but little nods at season 1s story

I agree, but already when I mention it most people reply with something similar to "Ah it wont be as good as the first one" so already they have a tough job.

But I agree if people accept this for what it is , a standalone story, with new characters and location I expect it would be received brilliantly. The only problem is people are already beginning to compare it to the first and doubt it will be as good even without seeing an episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

There'll surely be some Easter eggs connecting the two throughout though? As in stuff not explicitly connecting the two but little nods at season 1s story

I read Galveston, a book by the show'a writer Nic Pizzolatto and if it's anything to go by the show will be full of very subtle nods to the first season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

people are already beginning to compare it to the first and doubt it will be as good even without seeing an episode.

Comparing trailers is a new one, and absolutely ridiculous - you can already tell which people are going to be "hate watching", and the thread is going to get tiresome and boring fairly quickly with people like that.

Comparing trailers is a new one, and absolutely ridiculous - you can already tell which people are going to be "hate watching", and the thread is going to get tiresome and boring fairly quickly with people like that.

Hopefully it doesnt happen on the thread, I havent seen it really yet only experienced it outside of boards. Crazy how quick people are to bash something without seeing it.

I can't wait for the new season! Hope our boy Colin knocks it out of the park

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Anyone on here who compares Series 2 to Series 1 should get banned :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

A Summer scheduling for the most highly acclaimed TV Drama of the past few years?

Strange!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Hopefully it doesnt happen on the thread, I havent seen it really yet only experienced it outside of boards.

People have been hate-watching Love/Hate and commenting on this website since S01E01 of the show, it's extremely annoying.

New season started last night. Oh lawdy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Betty-ireland

New season started last night. Oh lawdy
    Just watched it, and oh lawdy is right. Colin Farrell is unreal in it!

Advertisement