Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I thought it was a perfectly decent set up episode. Comparing it to season 1 is pointless when they are self-contained stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Really enjoyed last nights episode. Set up the new season nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,640 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I enjoyed it a good episode setting up the season to come some interesting characters all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Betty-ireland

I thought it was a perfectly decent set up episode. Comparing it to season 1 is pointless when they are self-contained stories.

Agreed! But people will still do it anyway! And they will also think that because the actors aren't 'big' names like season 1, it won't be any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

It's it worthy of it's own thread?
    Seeing as they're standalone stories?

Think I might actually wait until it's all available and binge, especially if it's set to be a slow burner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Can't understand how people are saying you can't compare it to season one, of course its comparable to season one its called True Detective season two it only natural to compare it to the first one.

Really lookin forward to Vince Vaughn in a more serious role remember watching the remake of Psycho years ago and thinking he was very good in it.

how was episode one?
    will catch it later.
    reviews seem mixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

glasso wrote: »
    how was episode one?
    will catch it later.
    reviews seem mixed.

From a glance (might be changed now) fans seemed to enjoy it while a lot of critics seemed to be moaning that it wasn't as good as last season. Haven't watched it yet so can't judge.

Could be the case where critics just start watching with no intention of giving it a fair review. I have read one or two complaining it lacks that "something" the first season had, and some of these are critics who gave out about little things in the first season. With critics it's hard to tell if it's really what they thought or theyre just trying to get their reviews read.

The positive fan response if promising though!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,894 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yep, looking forward to watching this later.
    Colin Farrell is unreal in it!
    Farrell rarely gives less than 110% IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

watched it. was good not great. a lot going on.

colin farrell is excellent for sure. def gonna watch full series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Liked the first episode. Too early to compare to the first series. But acting is good. Can't say I'm all that enthralled in the story yet (whereas I was into the first series very quickly) but it's early days and am expecting it to be great. Thought Colin was excellent - fair play to him.

Only downside was the soundtrack. They were playing high tension doom music throughout even at the beginning. The kinda music shows play when the lead characters are in trouble but they were playing it even during more mundane scenes like when they were showing clips of LA at the beginning. Got a bit annoying after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Everythin coming up Milhouse

I thought it was a decent start to the new series.

Vaughn and Farrell were convincing and some of the cinematography was very good, I thought the opening titles were excellent too.

I found the timeline a bit difficult to follow and didn't see the need to introduce so many different characters so soon. I thought the ending (the final shot in particular) was a bit cheesy and didn't really create any tension for the next episode.

Overall though it was quite good, looking forward to next weeks episode and seeing how the story develops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

The structure of it all appears to have changed a bit. Where as in the first season, the very first pre-credits sequence of the first episode set up the investigation and everything after that was slowly introduced as part of the investigation or through flashbacks which worked incredibly well. It felt like a cop show, but now what were were used to.

This time around they seem to have front loaded the stuff that would have otherwise been uncovered as part of the investigation. Still loved it though Farrell was really good. Vaughn's delivery was a little stilted at times.

A great set up to start the season.
    When Farrell was sitting at the head of the table talking about his custody battle etc it reminded me so much of the McConaghey scenes from his interviews from the last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Colin Farell is doing a good job in detective cliche role no. 17. Female cop is detective cliche role no. 8. Presumably the black guy who is a few months from retirement shows up next week

I think it might be a noir remake of lethal weapon 2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Watched it earlier on and if I'm honest I wasn't expecting much from it. But my god was it a great episode. Collin Farrell is superb in it. He's quite the bad ass with the little kid :D. If this season is anything like the first episode then we're in for a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Brilliant performances all round for me.. Really well shot too. Can't wait for the rest of this series

liked the first episode overall, except for maybe a bit too much use of vocal songs in the background (last scene and in the bar) towards the end. will certainly stick with it. The ginger plumpy can't be Farrell's character's kid (intimated as such I guess).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Is this on netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

hiPlYip.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭brevity

I liked it. It was a little heavy on emphasising on destructive the characters were (lots of desperate drinking) but the tone and the atmosphere were quite good. All the actors are doing a pretty good job, plenty of time to flesh them out a bit more anyways. I enjoyed the cinematography and the music as well. A good start and really looking forward to the next episode.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Haven't watched it yet, but I don't like the new theme song.

veganrun wrote: »
    Haven't watched it yet, but I don't like the new theme song.

I couldn't stand the first season's one at first either. It'll grow on me I'm sure.

I'll probably have to rewatch this episode after the first few. A lot of the nuances and character references went over my head since I'm tired. Who's apartment were they in that was trashed? What were vince and farrel talking about at the end?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

10 minutes in and at least 4 time jumps back and foth.

Seriously?

On the upside though, the hottie from Flight is in it. Didnt know she was part of the cast.

article-1067031-02DDC4D600000578-788_233x365.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Is this on netflix

No it's not on Netflix. You can watch it on sky Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Good first episode, what does everyone think about our other irish actor playing a Russian with a irish accent, poor casting on that part especially!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

It was an ok opening episode. There was a lot to take in and with 4 main characters a lot to try and deconstruct. I feel it will improve since all the introductions are out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Mc Love wrote: »
    Good first episode, what does everyone think about our other irish actor playing a Russian with a irish accent, poor casting on that part especially!

I wonder did he bring Fidelma with him. I actually thought it was Fassbender for a minute. It's the other Kerryman, Timothy V Murphy (thanks IMDB).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Bambi wrote: »
    Colin Farell is doing a good job in detective cliche role no. 17. Female cop is detective cliche role no. 8. Presumably the black guy who is a few months from retirement shows up next week

I think it might be a noir remake of lethal weapon 2

I don't mind cliché if its believable and done well. There was a lot of good and lot of terrible in that episode. Good story but Justin Lins directing was ropey at times. The final few seconds where they all gave each other the look was laughable.

I thought Farrell was pretty damn good. Didn't expect that. The same goes for Taylor Kitsch. Vaughan wasn't as bad as I thought he'd be but he's still wooden as hell. Didn't think much of Rachael McAdams.

The 1st season just set the bar too damn high. The whole way through the episode I kept wishing Rust would walk into frame and sort everyone out. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Betty-ireland

I couldn't stand the first season's one at first either. It'll grow on me I'm sure.

I'll probably have to rewatch this episode after the first few. A lot of the nuances and character references went over my head since I'm tired. Who's apartment were they in that was trashed? What were vince and farrel talking about at the end?
    I assumed it was Casper's apartment, the guy hey found at the end! Did I get that wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Agreed! But people will still do it anyway! And they will also think that because the actors aren't 'big' names like season 1, it won't be any good.

Since when are Colin Farrell, Vince Vaughan, and Rachel McAdams not big names?
    Only downside was the soundtrack. They were playing high tension doom music throughout even at the beginning. The kinda music shows play when the lead characters are in trouble but they were playing it even during more mundane scenes like when they were showing clips of LA at the beginning. Got a bit annoying after a while.

I always wonder about scenes like the last bar scene, is there a script note that says "hippy girl in bar singing really deep, existential song that drives home the point that the characters are really ****ed up"
    I thought it was a decent start to the new series.

Vaughn and Farrell were convincing and some of the cinematography was very good, I thought the opening titles were excellent too.

Whoever did them should get the next Bond gig.

Really enjoyed, a lot of stuff to set up, looking forward to next week.

Advertisement