Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

The opening theme song was very good in my opinion.
    However it just doesn't have the same appeal as season 1, the Marty and Rust duo.
    I think it's fair to say that the show has enough potential to keep me watching and intrigued.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

I assumed it was Casper's apartment, the guy hey found at the end! Did I get that wrong?

Ya was definitely Caspers apartment that was trashed.

This was a very very good opening episode Farrel was brilliant and it looks like his tough dirty cop character is gonna be very entertaining indeed, I mean 15 min in and we already got the sad back story which puts you instantly on his side.

Vaughn was also very good kinda unassuming and calculated definitely a lot more to come from him.

Have to say I think I'm already hooked,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Well, that was interesting :D
    Never been a big fan of Farrell but he was really good(some good comic moments from him)
    Vaughan...jury is out as of yet on him.
    McAdams...looking forward to her back story(fupped up royally is my guess)

Sex, I reckon, is the common denominator between the characters and will be their downfall.
    Hate the opening theme(Cohen, bizarre choice imo)

Looking forward to more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Is there too many main leads , they seem to have spread it acrosss 4 different people and they only have 8 episodes , is it still 8 episodes? Like s1 , reviews look poor- quick glance at em , I liked it

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Volovo

Just watched the first episode, thought it was great :) I like a slow burner. I think it sets up the season nicely, I've plenty of thoughts and theories (and questions!) about each of the main characters forming in my head already.

I liked the soundtrack and theme song. Thought Farrell was excellent and Vaughn ok, hopefully he will really impress me in this later in the series!

That said, I watched it with a few glasses of whiskey which always makes me enjoy shows like this a bit more haha. I might watch it again later in the week sober!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I’m going to be sitting on the fence regarding this show, at least until after the first three episodes. But that doesn’t mean there’s nothing to say…

It’s an extremely hard show to form a clear opinion of, especially when you’ve just dipped your toes in as far as episode one. The chief difficulty for me is that I want to be fair towards it: I want to try to clear my mind of prior associations, as much as possible, and view this season solely as a stand-alone, and on its own merits. But this can at times seem impossible. Right from the off, certain things make it impossible to not feel the weight of season one looming over everything, casting a shadow as murky - and yet flaky - as the world in which our heroes find themselves.

If I’d been deep underground, or hanging out in the furthest reaches of Siberia for the past two years, and had never heard of season one, I’d think I’d view last nights episode as one of the strongest pilot episodes of a show that I had ever seen – The shows brand of darkness is alluring, the acting is top-notch, the cinematography is stunning, production values are incredible, numerous superlatives etc, etc. The whole thing reeks of quality. No matter how it might all pan out; no doubt it will always have a certain lavishness about it, which might just be enough to get it over the line. I’ll give some props here to the stars - Colin Farrell was great. I couldn’t believe my ears when I heard him somehow pull a convincing American accent from the bag. You’ve come a long way from Minority Report sham. I still feel that Vince Vaughan could be revelatory, if given enough time. I’ve seen him in enough stuff over the years to know that’s there’s potentially more there in the man than the lazy crapmonger he’s usually reduced to trading as. Hopefully the script will help him out. As for the other two, they were solid last night – It was interesting, and brave, to see Taylor Kitsch subvert his usual rippling testostogod persona, but I still have my small doubts when I see Rachel McAdams threaten someone with a firearm. But who knows for now - I’m hopeful for the weeks to come.

The plotting. Here’s where things become a bit more complicated. I was, quite frankly, frequently confused about what exactly was going down at times during the episode. Things seemed as entangled as those freeways we kept seeing in those endless vistas of God shots. Now that might cease to be an issue as things progress – What is confusing initially may turn out to all make perfectly aligned sense in the end, but there was no denying it was a bit of a narrative mess last night. With so many constituent parts, you do hope they’ll all have a meaningful role to play later on, but maybe have some worry kept in reservation about that not actually coming to pass.

Those potential difficulties may become a reality over time, but the show definitely has some problems which exist in the here and now, which prevent me from advocating for its greatness. Christ, this show is clunky. I get it, its set in serious and grim world, where everyone can barely smile or function because of the crushing existential weight upon their shoulders. I think I can ascertain that without it being rammed down my throat. Did we really need a bar-singer hammering the point home? The scene of Farrell’s character bashing the bully’s Dad was utterly ridiculous, lurching awfully close to self-parody. Repeated bludgeoning can lead to numbness. That is a warning that may become the key-issue for the series as it goes on.

Seriousness. It’s what True Detective is all about really. True Detective is meaningful, or least thinks it is. It has prestige, toughness and reaches for gravitas. It wants to be taken seriously, it screams at you about it. So, I think, fair enough - What have you done for me lately TD? Should I take you as deep and meaningful - because you sure walk the walk. It’s this aspect of the show, right from the first episode that makes me think, more than anything, about last season, despite how much didn’t want to do that. In retrospect that first season- great and all as it was – was a bit flimsy at its core. Its pop philosophy threatened to bring us to some really dark places, showed us glimpses of a horrifying and vast conspiracy, but ended up bringing us, eventually, to a fight to the death with a fairly conventional big-bad, and some measure of a cop-out happy ending. It was saved because of some absolutely stunning moments throughout its run, which rank up there with anything I’ve ever seen in television. Season two already has a lot of the somewhat empty mannerisms of its older sibling, which almost seem like tropes by now – at least when they are handed with the grace and finesse of an elephant. Hopefully it will amount to more; it’ll force us to view it as more than just a variation on the formula. We’ll have to wait and see if it can bring anything stunning of it’s own to the equation. That’s going to make it or break it in the end, above anything else. And until then, my judge and jury of one are still out, waiting to be convinced.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Mc Love wrote:
    Good first episode, what does everyone think about our other irish actor playing a Russian with a irish accent, poor casting on that part especially!

Absolutely brutal. Like Roy Keane doing Sean Connery doing the Russian captain in THFRO

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    The opening theme song was very good in my opinion.
    However it just doesn't have the same appeal as season 1, the Marty and Rust duo.
    I think it's fair to say that the show has enough potential to keep me watching and intrigued.

The soundtrack (openig title too) is done by the same guy as season 1, T-Bone Burnett, he's very good.

About the episode, I liked it a lot. I'It has be interested enough in all the characters and story to get me to continue watching, think if a first episode does that it can be called a success.

I think it's harder for the show covering 4 main characters with the same time per episode but they did it good enough in my eyes.

Acting was very good too, Vaughn reminded me a little of
    Kingpin from the new daredevil show, comes across as a reasonable and somewhat caring guy, but I have a feeling we'll see that he's very dangerous soon enough, that talk about how finding a woman settled him or whatever

Farrell was very good as well, accent was something a little different and I had to keep ignoring it because I'm used to his own accent :pac:, that being said he was extremely good.

McAdams and Kitsch (I hope I spelled that right), we're good too.

I understand the whole appeal thing by the way, it's a fair point. I've read some completely stupid reviews by critics who were dissapointed with the show and their main talking point of criticism was too many aerial camera shots. Fair enough if you didn't like it but I find this a very tedious thing to use as an excuse.

I thought the episode was very good and can't wait till next week to see what direction it's going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

I don't see the point in panning this season as some critics bizarrely have.

It was no more than I expected: a good solid introduction. The only small complaints I would have would be that Vaughan went flat at times, while I found Kitsch's suicide bender slightly cringe.

But other than that there was certainly groundwork laid for another fascinating season.

Arghus wrote: »

If I’d been deep underground, or hanging out in the furthest reaches of Siberia for the past two years, and had never heard of season one, I’d think I’d view last nights episode as one of the strongest pilot episodes of a show that I had ever seen

Think thats a big thing. If this was Season 1 people would be lumping on the praise and calling it a great first episode, since Season 1 was so successful it's tough for the second season with new cast and story.

I also think some people have made their minds up not to give this a fair chance , but I suppose thats the same for most shows/films now.

• Advertisement

Jon Stark wrote: »
    I don't see the point in panning this season as some critics bizarrely have.

It was no more than I expected: a good solid introduction. The only small complaints I would have would be that Vaughan went flat at times, while I found Kitsch's suicide bender slightly cringe.

But other than that there was certainly groundwork laid for another fascinating season.

From what I've seen most fans enjoyed the first episode, most of the negative reviews have been critics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Adamocovic wrote: »
    From what I've seen most fans enjoyed the first episode, most of the negative reviews have been critics.

That's what I mean, the likes of Digital Spy and Huffington have given negative reviews, with their main reasons being not able to separate the different aesthetics of season 1 and 2.

Even though it was clear that was always going to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I'm not surprised if critics are a bit harsh on it. They usually look down on ‘genre’ films or literature. If season two doesn't have the strangeness of season one, I can see the critics lining up to have a go at it.

This season has started out a bit like a James Ellroy or Raymond Chandler LA noir novel. Familiar characters and situations that appear in crime fiction. I personally love that stuff and I thought episode one was dark and intriguing. Can’t wait to see how it plays out.

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    10 minutes in and at least 4 time jumps back and foth.

Seriously?

On the upside though, the hottie from Flight is in it. Didnt know she was part of the cast.

article-1067031-02DDC4D600000578-788_233x365.jpg

Yes - Kelly Reilly - good actress and one of the few actual sexy red-heads out there.

She was great in the "Eden Lake" movie with Michael Fassbender. Great movie that has always stuck with me - some parts of it are not an easy watch though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Decuc500 wrote: »
    I'm not surprised if critics are a bit harsh on it. They usually look down on ‘genre’ films or literature. If season two doesn't have the strangeness of season one, I can see the critics lining up to have a go at it.

This season has started out a bit like a James Ellroy or Raymond Chandler LA noir novel. Familiar characters and situations that appear in crime fiction. I personally love that stuff and I thought episode one was dark and intriguing. Can’t wait to see how it plays out.

Thats the thing for me, it just felt like the start of dozens of other tv shows and films, it didn't seem "bad" and the production quality is high but everything (as bambi says) is just so cliche, episode one of season 1 had a sense of dread and left you really wanting to know more, and though the characters situations were a bit cliche they didn't feel like the cardboard cut outs of this season and the LA corruption thing is really well covered ground.
    I have the feeling it will be solid but not great,I liked seasons 1 and 3 of American Horror Story so I don't think the fact the seasons don't link up is an issue for me. Often 2nd seasons are just worse not from lack of being new but because they are more rushed less well written and are riding on the successs of the 1st.

Thats the thing for me, it just felt like the start of dozens of other tv shows and films, it didn't seem "bad" and the production quality is high but everything (as bambi says) is just so cliche, episode one of season 1 had a sense of dread and left you really wanting to know more, and though the characters situations were a bit cliche they didn't feel like the cardboard cut outs of this season and the LA corruption thing is really well covered ground.
    I have the feeling it will be solid but not great,I liked seasons 1 and 3 of American Horror Story so I don't think the fact the seasons don't link up is an issue for me. Often 2nd seasons are just worse not from lack of being new but because they are more rushed less well written and are riding on the successs of the 1st.

Suppose we'll have to wait and see how it pans out. We can only judge one episode so far. Yes there are some cliche characters but I suppose thats common for most tv shows.

Story is intriguing and I think since we are not used to the cast and still have season 1 in our minds it will come across strange for us for the first 2-3 weeks. I reckon 4 episodes in when were in the swing of things and deep into story and characters most people will enjoy it a lot more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I thought it was a very good opener, but Farrell got to stretch his acting legs in that episode far more than Vaughn did - I think he'll come into his own as the story progresses and the other side of his is brought into play. Still have complete faith in him.

I have to say, it's easy to beat it with the stick of the first season, but I genuinely preferred that first episode than I did the opener of season one at the time. I remember being underwhelmed at True Detective initially, only really grabbed me two or three episodes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

glasso wrote: »
    Yes - Kelly Reilly - good actress and one of the few actual sexy red-heads out there.

She was great in the "Eden Lake" movie with Michael Fassbender. Great movie that has always stuck with me - some parts of it are not an easy watch though.

quite strange, I wouldn't know either of the female actors names or previous roles, but I know I never liked them in anything I've seen them in ( one was in guy richies sherlock holmes I know)

I think one of the good things about the first series was that the two detectives weren't standard cop tropes but they were believable characters, season 2's first episode hammered home movie cop cliche after cliche.

And who the f***k puts a throwing board up indoors? :confused:

Four jumps back in time...? I only noticed one. I really have to watch it again.

Don't watch a deep and complicated TV show while being hungover from a festival folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Four jumps back in time...? I only noticed one. I really have to watch it again.

Don't watch a deep and complicated TV show while being hungover from a festival folks!

Ha, yeah I watched it to settle down after Body&Soul as well... wasn't the best idea, I'll watch it again but I thought it was a bit weak myself. I know it's supposed to be totally different than season 1 but I just thought the whole direction wasn't great.

Farrell is brilliant in it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Bambi wrote: »
    quite strange, I wouldn't know either of the female actors names or previous roles, but I know I never liked them in anything I've seen them in ( one was in guy richies sherlock holmes I know)

I think one of the good things about the first series was that the two detectives weren't standard cop tropes but they were believable characters, season 2's first episode hammered home movie cop cliche after cliche.

And who the f***k puts a throwing board up indoors? :confused:

Someone who doesn't have an outdoor area? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Good opening to the story, really enjoyed it and looking forward to learning more about each character.

Does anyone know how many episodes this series will have?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Good opening to the story, really enjoyed it and looking forward to learning more about each character.

Does anyone know how many episodes this series will have?
    eight, like the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I enjoyed the first season but never quite got all the acclaim it received, so my expectations weren't massive for this one. But I enjoyed it, particularly the darkness of Farrell's character. It was maybe a bit obvious that they showed all the cops as f***ed up while the supposed "bad guy" seemed the most comfortable, meaning he'll explode Tony Soprano-style at some point, shattering our opinions of him.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

I enjoyed the first season but never quite got all the acclaim it received, so my expectations weren't massive for this one. But I enjoyed it, particularly the darkness of Farrell's character. It was maybe a bit obvious that they showed all the cops as f***ed up while the supposed "bad guy" seemed the most comfortable, meaning he'll explode Tony Soprano-style at some point, shattering our opinions of him.

I'm half expecting him to be the actual attacker of Farrell's ex-wife...

Thats what I'm waiting for! Really interested to seeing how Vaughn does!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

thought it was solid. should get better id say

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

how many epsidodes is this season? cant find it the web

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Roquentin wrote: »
    how many epsidodes is this season? cant find it the web

8 episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Characters were all too similar.

Story was a bit all over the place.

The ending shows promise though, I think it will get better. Farrell was excellent too.

Advertisement