Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,701 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I started watching it, then had to rewind it and put on the subtitles. I was missing half the dialogue. It's the same with Hannibal, I dunno if it's the tv or my hearing, or just the way it's meant to be.

First episode was promising. It lacks that wry humour from Woody, but still good. The Ass-pen scene was brilliant, I wonder how many parents have felt like doing the same. "Twelve years old, my ass. F**k you!".

I have sky. How do you put the subtitles on?

It's not the tv or your hearing or the volume It's a diabolical diction issue with the acting/delivery/script!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

walshb wrote: »

It's not the tv or your hearing or the volume; it's a diabolical diction issue with the acting/delivery/script!

The sky remote has a button, info or help I think it's labelled. There's an audio description option as well if your visually impaired, although not all shows would carry that.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Hmm, I wonder if the version I watched is censored or something, don't recall any 'ass-pen' scene you're all talking about. When does it happen?

I need to watch it with you then to get the translation. I am half way through episode 1 and too many "wtf did he/she say there?" moments! Season 1 was atrocious for the poor diction, particularly with Rusty. I know he was meant to be a bit of a drunk, but c'mon!

I think it's more an issue with Rusty's southern drawl. I found it fine, but when someone lays on a thick authentic accent when you're used to neutral tones from TV and movie then naturally you ears struggle to adjust.

Like the Wire, took me a few goes to understand what they were saying, but there's nothing wrong with the volume...

• Registered Users Posts: 55,701 ✭✭✭✭walshb

.ak wrote: »
    I think it's more an issue with Rusty's southern drawl. I found it fine, but when someone lays on a thick authentic accent when you're used to neutral tones from TV and movie then naturally you ears struggle to adjust.

Like the Wire, took me a few goes to understand what they were saying, but there's nothing wrong with the volume...

I agree. It's not a volume issue. It's a diction issue. Mumbling of words and not pronouncing words with any real clarity.

• Advertisement

Strangely enough, I've always found Vaughn to be very straight faced and serious in his comedy roles. I thought he'd be perfect for this. He wasn't the best in ep 1 but there's still plenty left.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

.ak wrote: »
    Hmm, I wonder if the version I watched is censored or something, don't recall any 'ass-pen' scene you're all talking about. When does it happen?

Think people are referring to when he confronted the kid and his dad. And called him "ass-pen" before suckering his dead, the kid being called aspen

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Having no issues understanding what they're saying, didn't have any last season either..

http://giant.gfycat.com/SilverDeterminedAtlanticspadefish.gif

Mod Edit: Changed to link (24mb animated gif - mobile users won't thank you for that!)

I agree. It's not a volume issue. It's a diction issue. Mumbling of words and not pronouncing words with any real clarity.

Well personally I prefer they keep their accents rather than spelling everything out for us.. Rust's character wouldn't be the same if his accent was more neutral.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭golfball37

It's not the tv or your hearing or the volume It's a diabolical diction issue with the acting/delivery/script!

FF button and arrow down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Pretty good opener, I'd say. The leads on the law enforcement side have some self-destructiveness that might be, as someone said earlier, a little overdone. Farrell's character is the most volatile. They're all fleshed out to some degree, at least in so far as what can be done in a first episode. Whiff of rage off it, notable corruption too. Reminded me of The Bridge at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I liked the opening episode, great to see VV in a serious role and Farrell is top notch in his role as well.

Bit surprised the bike cop is having droop problems considering the woman he is sleeping with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Bit surprised the bike cop is having droop problems considering the woman he is sleeping with.

ED is not caused by ugly women, he has PTSD

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

I wonder did he bring Fidelma with him. I actually thought it was Fassbender for a minute. It's the other Kerryman, Timothy V Murphy (thanks IMDB).

Fassbender was born in Germany to German and British parents, therefore not a Kerryman. Think he lived there for a while though. :pac:

Anyway, first episode was pretty good. Looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

el diablo wrote: »
    Fassbender was born in Germany to German and British parents, therefore not a Kerryman. Think he lived there for a while though. :pac:

Anyway, first episode was pretty good. Looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

He was raised / went to school in Kerry with a mum from Antrim. And the Germans lost the war therefore we get to keep him. 'nuff said.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

ED is not caused by ugly women, he has PTSD

I thought he might have been a "Yes" voter. Surely a girl like that could raise the dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I thought he might have been a "Yes" voter. Surely a girl like that could raise the dead.

I can't tell whether you're joking, but that's not how it works at all.

I can't tell whether you're joking, but that's not how it works at all.

I'm pretty sure he's serious. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Cracking opening episode.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Mechanical Clocktail

I'm pretty sure he's serious. :o

While it's probably ptsd this show is drawing pretty heavily from James Ellroy. I'm a big fan of his novels and there trends to be repressed gay tendencies in his characters that often contribute to their destructive nature. Ellroy's novels are set in 40s/50s La when being gay was still a big taboo. Like I say, it's far more likely ptsd in order to be in keeping with the times, but the suggestion that the character might be gay shouldn't be ruled out given the obvious influence. There's no need to be knee-jerk politically correct.

While it's probably ptsd this show is drawing pretty heavily from James Ellroy. I'm a big fan of his novels and there trends to be repressed gay tendencies in his characters that often contribute to their destructive nature. Ellroy's novels are set in 40s/50s La when being gay was still a big taboo. Like I say, it's far more likely ptsd in order to be in keeping with the times, but the suggestion that the character might be gay shouldn't be ruled out given the obvious influence. There's no need to be knee-jerk politically correct.

Maybe you're over-analysing it. And I've never been accused of being politically correct before. :)

Maybe you're over-analysing it. And I've never been accused of being politically correct before. :)

I'm not really. You'd see it very easily if you read some of the novels I'm referring to. The characters and their behavior almost make them Ellroy cutouts. It begs to be commented on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭golfball37

I'm a big fan of elroy and here is the classic three protagonists with varying irredeemable features, being the spine of the narrative. See La confidential and all of the American trilogy.

Whoever is writing this series has potential of a great story from the get go.

golfball37 wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of elroy and here is the classic three protagonists with varying irredeemable features, being the spine of the narrative. See La confidential and all of the American trilogy.

Whoever is writing this series has potential of a great story from the get go.

LA, corrupt cops, politicians, a bizzare murder/conspiracy. Dare I say our protagonists will be thrown together before being torn apart. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

The only bit I didn't catch was the bit where Vaughn was on about puttin his foot up caspers ass and then his PA said something about shoe laces?

If I remember right, it was something like Vince said 'i'm gonna put my size thirteens so far up his ass' and then she replied with 'his shoelaces will come out his mouth.'

Personally really enjoyed it. In fairness to Rachel McAdams they aren't exactly emphasising her hotness in this show. I also think she still looks pretty good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Just caught the 1st one there. Enjoyed it. Farrell was good, still unsure of Vaughan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

is the second episode on sky Atlantic tonight or tomorrow night

Roquentin wrote: »
    is the second episode on sky Atlantic tonight or tomorrow night

Tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I was hoping they would show every episode at 2am like they did with GoT.

Advertisement