Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

While it's probably ptsd this show is drawing pretty heavily from James Ellroy. I'm a big fan of his novels and there trends to be repressed gay tendencies in his characters that often contribute to their destructive nature. Ellroy's novels are set in 40s/50s La when being gay was still a big taboo. Like I say, it's far more likely ptsd in order to be in keeping with the times, but the suggestion that the character might be gay shouldn't be ruled out given the obvious influence. There's no need to be knee-jerk politically correct.

I'm guessing your bang on the money after that staring out the window scene (camera lingers on the dudes in angel outfits and the dude (rent boy?)having a smoke)

Enjoyed this episode a bit more but still feel it might be a bit predictable (well if he lives), also really hoping the singing bar women ending isn't going to be in every episode.

Marje wrote: »
    Frank met the girl at the nightclub - she told him that she met Casper at this address.

cheers - was sort of watching and browsing the net at the same time and missed that!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

very elroy/curtis hanson. reminds me of LA confidential

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Roquentin wrote: »
    very elroy/curtis hanson. reminds me of LA confidential

"Hookers... Cut to look like movie stars"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Is it just me or is the premise that a big bad crime boss gave a crooked official ALL his wealth and said "stick that on a few plots of land for us, there's a good man" a teensy bit implausible?

The whole vibe seems to be aiming for a coen brothers film.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Think the whole enterprise is a bit of a mess at this stage.

The writing is seriously clunky at times, it seems stuffed to gills with cliches and I find it all a little gloomy.

Vaughan seems to me the guy most in need of a career shot in the arm from this, looks like he wants to move into more serious stuff but he's flunking big time.

Colin Farrell on the other hand is the best thing about the show at the moment. I've actually often liked his acting, even if I've been mystified by some of his choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Bambi wrote: »
    Is it just me or is the premise that a big bad crime boss gave a crooked official ALL his wealth and said "stick that on a few plots of land for us, there's a good man" a teensy bit implausible?

The whole vibe seems to be aiming for a coen brothers film.

And the crooked official blew it all on young trim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

So Kitch is a self loathing gay man, who may have been abused by his mother at a young age. He is also seriously fúcked up from whatever work he used to do for that black mountain crowd, his character is very interesting, however they retread a lot of ground in this episode with him. Hope he picks up a little pace.

Vaughn was better in this episode than the first, the turn when he walked up to the guy who got mace'd and gave him a little talking to was very clever, as he wouldn't be able to see him with the mace in his eyes and Vaughn wearing the sunglasses. Quite clear from the begining there is a lot of darkness to Vaughn in this, all the talk about going legit, it doesn't suit him, there also might be the dual notion here that him "going legit" might get him into a hell of a lot more trouble than when he was doing his dirty work.

If Farell's dead it's a nice brave twist, even if he's not dead it would be good if he didn't appear for a few episodes. Just because there are pictures of him released online doesn't mean he has to be alive, those scenes could be cut or they could simply be doing it to fúck with you.

Does Vaughn need him, or does he need him out of the picture as he knows too much and is too close to both sides of this thing?

Of course it's True Detective, nothing is quite what it seems, yet the answer is probably right under our noses the whole time. I like the subtle nods to the first season, there is continuity, without being overbearing.

Gonna watch episode 3 next week, then watch them all again and try and piece it together a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Good series so far , I hope Colin Bejaysus Farrel isn't dead, he was so far the most interesting character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

weemcd wrote: »
    So Kitch is a self loathing gay man, who may have been abused by his mother at a young age. He is also seriously fúcked up from whatever work he used to do for that black mountain crowd

Boardwalk empire and American Horror Story have already trodden this path in the last couple of years (both with the main brooding heart throb characters in the respective shows) so if they go that route its sort of confirming that its deeply unoriginal.
    In case anybody is wondering Black Mountain is just a slight change on Black Water

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Enjoyed this episode a bit more but still feel it might be a bit predictable (well if he lives), also really hoping the singing bar women ending isn't going to be in every episode.

God I hope so too. What a truly **** bar, do the owners not wonder why it's half empty all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

http://morningafter.gawker.com/who-is-the-true-detective-true-detectives-shocking-epi-1714644401

Good summary of whats happened up to the end of ep 2 (Spoilers Of Course)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Corruption, brown envelopes, crooked land deals....I thought I was watching Prime Time.

I'm getting a Chinatown vibe from this series.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

the_monkey wrote: »
    Good series so far , I hope Colin Bejaysus Farrel isn't dead, he was so far the most interesting character.

I think we'll see him in flashbacks. He's the only character who had flashbacks to date iirc.

http://morningafter.gawker.com/who-is-the-true-detective-true-detectives-shocking-epi-1714644401

Cheers for that article it makes things a lot clearer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Cheers, good summary allright, the author seems pretty sure
    CBJF is dead, I'm not so sure, would a high profile actor like CBJF only do 2 episodes ??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

True Detective brought to you this week by George Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

He's a character that could do a whole lot plot wise, and is easily the most interesting. Hopefully birdman was shooting beanie bags or rock salt or something.

there certainly was a distinct lack of blood

Ray Velcoro's death doesn't make sense. Somebody wants a piece of him. He is a bent cop so could easily turned. How long has that house been vacant for? I'm guessing weeks. So this birdman just happens to be lying in wait for Velcoro when he turns up? Somebody knew that Frank Semyon tipped him off. Whether Semyon knew that, is another thing altogether, I'd guess not. The mayor looks like he wants Semyon to back off too. The mayor could possibly trying to turn Velcoro. Velcoro could be used against Semyon since he is already blackmailing him for the murder of his wife's rapist.

Just a thought.

• Advertisement

That's working off the assumption that he was shot with rubber bullets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

So far this is coming across as Chinatown through David lynch. Like the first series it's strength is in making the commonplace seem strange however this time it seems a bit forced.
    I get that it's " true detective" and the cliches and thropes of that genre are part and parcel of its attraction. Series one was all southern gothic, season two, hard boiled detective. This time the lack of humour is killing it, without the relive of humour its hard work, theirs only so much nihilism and angst and cynicism you can take.
    For all that I'll stay watching, the show looks gorgeous, it's paced slow but steady and the acting is top notch, even Vaughan with his dead pan acting is just right. The script is good apart from a few clunky lines which I would miss in most shows but you listen for every word and inflection in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

tommy2bad wrote: »
    but you listen for every word and inflection in this.

Yeah, you really have to pay close attention to the dialogue. I re-watched the first 5 minutes of episode 2 just to understand the assignments being given to the cops. I recognised that scene where they were told to investigate the murder but also keep an eye on each other from the pages of James Ellroy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

bajer101 wrote: »

You should really, really say that's a spoiler beyond episode two.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Why are people posting spoilers of stuff thats clearly ahead of where the show is? Bad, bad form.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Why are people posting spoilers of stuff thats clearly ahead of where the show is? Bad, bad form.

I suppose the title does say spoilers, and the people who post it also state spoilers so we should just assume that if someone says spoiler that it is of the future episodes or a theory, I'm only going to blame my own curiousity for checking that link!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

No spoilers for future episodes (even in spoiler tags). It's just common courtesy, guys. Not everyone wants to know what is going to happen.

I'll add this warning to the OP too. There will be cards for future transgressions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

It's a police procedural. My bet is the bad guy will get caught in the end. The only reason TD 1 made the news was because it contained A list actors.
    Would it have had the same impact if CF and VV were playing the roles ?
    CF as a washed up drunk with a bent for nihilist philosophy and VV as a redneck with wife issues. Both could have played the part in their sleep.

The rats in the basement has been covered by numerous authors to the point of cliche - I'm betting its a lie and he's read a Stephen King story along the way. For effect, he needs to eat the rat once he kills it. Missed a trick there.

As for the crime, a bent city official gets greedy and a gangster and bent cop are caught up in the ensuing maelstrom. Any drama needs someone innocent / heroic to root for. I don't care if Colin Farrell or Vince Vaughan lives or dies. The daughter of the cult leader needs to stop feeling the world owes her attention and motorbike man should get an Xbox for his bike fetish. The characters are uninteresting. I know it is only ep.2 but socks need pulling up fast in terms of character and plot.

And yes, there is too much muttering. It is partially the annoying soundtrack and partially actor based.

Senior figures in the LA / Vinci underworld do not meet a key bent cop in a public place, let alone a dive bar from central casting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I thought that second shot got Velcoro in the rocks, not the stomach, same as what happened to Casper.

Maybe I'm wrong though.

Advertisement