Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

I'm not mad about this. There are snippets of brilliance but its mostly a bore. I've been reserving my judgement as I wanted to give this a chance.

The intricacy between Ray Velcoro and Ani Bezzerides is very interesting. How they are working together yet working against each other at the same time.

Frank Semyon isn't believable but he's mildly entertaining. I couldn't care less about the PTSD soldier and his latent homosexuality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I know a lot of people thought last seasons story was hard to follow at times, and maybe I am wrong in my memory but didn't they go around questioning a lot of people without luck too?

I've liked Vaughn in this and looking at his work when he first started as an actor it's not too hard to take him for a serious role. I think he plays it well.

All in all I'm not a big fan of comparing seasons, especially stand alones like this show, but I would at least wait until the show is over to do so.

Comparing something you've only seen a fraction of with something youve seen all of is like comparing a three course meal before you touch the main course with one you have just eaten last week.

i agree. people should just sit back and see if they enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

3 episodes in and I think it's pretty insipid stuff so far
    The dream sequence at the start of the episode was a pretty blatant Lynch rip-off and a risible one at that. Some of the dialogue was pretty cringeworthy too - "Apoplectic" “I'm feeling a little apoplectic myself" :pac: Some of the meta stuff can be kind of embarrassing too (like Nic Pizzolatto's dig at Cary Fukunaga)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Fair enough, I shouldn't compare it to season 1. Taking it on it's own merits, it hasn't been enjoyable so far

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Fair enough, I shouldn't compare it to season 1. Taking it on it's own merits, it hasn't been enjoyable so far

Fair enough, different strokes for different folks and all that. I'm enjoying it,only real criticism I have is that Taylor Kitschs character seems a bit of a waste of screen time. No disrespect to him as an actor, I think he's good, but I am more interested in the story and other characters than him going around not being able to come to terms with his sexuality.

Colin of course is great and it comes across as he is the main lead with Vaughn, who is also doing well and is a vital character. McAdams character is coming more into it with her being asked to keep an eye on Farrell as well as leading the investigation. Having the two different departments using Farrell and McAdams has made that interesting, but then Taylor character so far seems to all revolve around him hiding or being afraid of the fact he is gay, I can't really think of any sort of contribution he is having on the case or the overall story other than interview prostitutes.

Maybe it's just my opinion, but I'm liking the show a lot I just hope his character has more of an impact or influence on story related plots rather than his individual side plot of him coming to grips with who he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

My money is on Franks right hand man to be one of the main men conspiring against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I'd say his story will involve the old fat cop blackmailing him once our main trio start to uncover the truth.

For what it's worth I'm enjoying the story, it is slow but I expected that. As others have said, once you take it on its on merit and don't compare it to the first then you'll enjoy it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭brevity

That mayor is a right....he knows the word.

I'm enjoying it but I can't see why others might not. Some of it feels a bit contrived and forced. I do love a good noir though and this has all of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Yeah rubber buckshot at point blank range = slightly cracked ribs and climbing fences as opposed to intensive care or the morgue, f**k right off lads.

I said at the start this story felt like a noir remake of lethal weapon 2 and that stunt confirmed it

Done and dusted with it, three episodes of stumbling around between mel gibson and david lynch yet still going nowhere

Ludicrous. I knew it was a bad sign in the first episode when Bezzerides's father was some sort of cult leader i.e not very realistic. That bit in the mansion in the latest episode was laughable as well.

Yeah Velcoro got shot point blank with a ****ing shotgun and he's up running around. I don't care what was in the shotgun....you don't survive that without a vest.

Farcical really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Another really good episode imo. Moving along fairly slowly but the plot is quiet intricate so still a lot going on. Its fairly clear that Rays superiors know an awful lot more than they are letting on especially the guy that was at the murder scene at the start pretending to be concerned about Ray.

The seemingly lazy cop following Paul was weird but I reckon it could be connected to the case the actress has brought against him, could be someone is paying him to find dirt on Paul.

So given the stolen car was found near that guys house that Ray and Ani were questioning, He must be involved some how or Did I miss something?

Oh and dollars to donuts that Semyon was behind the incident with Velcoro's wife all those years ago!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'm still enjoying it although I do find the dialogue a bit clunky and will agree Kitsch's character is falling a bit flat.

For those of you who seem to hate it: Are you going to stop watching? Why bother continuing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

just watched it there. im enjoying it. cant wait for the next episode which is a good sign

Roquentin wrote: »
    just watched it there. im enjoying it. cant wait for the next episode which is a good sign
    Who was the fella Velcero found murdered in the pit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Anyone want to tell me what Vince Vaughan's character needs to happen to get whatever he wants from this land deal?? Im not really grasping it.

yes - didn't have a clue who that was - a bit weak on the signalling of characters in general in this show. good enough episode though. but for the first time I did notice the indistinct dialogue thing at times. it's coming into its own as a season though. totally different to last year but that's a good thing - completely different setting and characters. seems a bit predictable tho that the amy adams character will end up falling for Farrell's character in a true way.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

He didnt find anyone did he?One of Franks men was found dead but Ray didnt find him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Enjoying it overall,plenty tickets you guessing,liking McAdams and Farrells performances too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Watched episode 3

I know it's early days, it could never have lived up to the first season, but I expected way better. None of the main roles seem defined, and the story or what's going on seems very hard to follow.

It's like they go around questioning people without luck all the time about hookers while once in a while meeting in that prefab thing, it drags on and we get some kind of clique ending like the car being put on fire. How is burning a cops car gonna make them less interested in the case, ( even to pinpoint what part of the case that is I'm not sure ). "That was him" Yeah good guess work , the guy with the mask standing next to the car on fire was suspicious indeed. Or the other dude with the accents, i don't know what the point was there, felt stupid. Or the older cop taking a photo of the younger one after he pushed his old war "buddy" :p . Also what was with the old bf coming into Bezzerides office, was that to show how hard she is?

Vaughan I can't take seriously at all in this role, e.g. the fist fight vs golden teeth "You can leave your rings on", maybe if there was some better backstory than him being locked in a basement when he was young or something. Farrell has been pretty good overall, the only shining light for me. The overall writing/chemistry/story just seems lackluster and disconnected.

I might be over critical and may need to re-watch everything again, but I can only compare it to season one, which for me was one of the best seasons of TV I ever seen. Hopefully it picks up in the next few episodes

I agree with most of this but I think the story is as interesting as the 1st its just badly executed.

That was a piss poor episode. That new director just aint up to it. I thought with Lin out of the way things would pick up but no, it feels even more run of the mill. I rewatched the 3rd ep from season one to make sure it isn't a case of rose tinted glasses here. They're just leagues apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Stan who was found dead was Frank's right hand man - Blake who told him will probably get promoted to that position now..

I'm guessing the Russian Osip had something to do with it.

My opinion - the car was left there intentionally, someone might be following them. Why did it go on fire at that particular time when they were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Anyone want to tell me what Vince Vaughan's character needs to happen to get whatever he wants from this land deal?? Im not really grasping it.

Vince sold all his other dodgy businesses to the gang of crooks he met in the club in order to invest in property associated with the railway deal. Caspere, the dead guy, was the middle man and had the money. Vince assumes whoever killed him took it. He admitted last week that he'd gone all in and he's basically broke now. He needs to either find the killer and get his own money back, or else raise fresh cash like he tried with the construction guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Anyone else left thinking too much about the scene where Frank bumps into Paul in the club??

Just the way they looked at each other and the way the scene was shot, its bugging me, like they've met before or something

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Anyone else left thinking too much about the scene where Frank bumps into Paul in the club??

Just the way they looked at each other and the way the scene was shot, its bugging me
    He kept drinking more when they started to talk about the parties - he might have met Frank at one before but can't recall where.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

glasso wrote: »
    seems a bit predictable tho that the amy adams character will end up falling for Farrell's character in a true way.

Somehow I don't see that happening :D

Another really good episode imo. Moving along fairly slowly but the plot is quiet intricate so still a lot going on.

There's a lot going on but there's feck all plot

The last time I saw this old chestnut of a dodgy deal going south along with the characters money because the middle man croaks it was an episode of Only Fools And Horses.

Intricate it ain't

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Bambi wrote: »

The last time I saw this old chestnut of a dodgy deal going south along with the characters money because the middle man croaks it was an episode of Only Fools And Horses.

Intricate it ain't

...and Only Fools and Horses used to rip off old episodes of Minder when inspiration dried up. Any chance of Arthur Daley showing up ?

...and Only Fools and Horses used to rip off old episodes of Minder when inspiration dried up. Any chance of Arthur Daley showing up ?

Maybe Dennis Waterman could hand more credible hidings than Vincent Vaughan, that was embarrassing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Bambi wrote: »

Intricate it ain't

That's a very basic description of what's going on in fairness, to compare it to only fools and horses is complete rubbish.

We get it you don't like the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Not the most exciting episode but I enjoyed it. Expected the story to be a slow burner and that it is. No point in comparing it to the first season as the only thing this series shares with it is the name but, for those that must, I can recall a few times in series 1 where I felt the story was moving a bit too slowly. Be patient.

Advertisement