Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭omerin

It's not. The state of humanity that people can't follow a simple story.

Its not so much that for me. For me I watch it but it isn't drawing me in to give it my full attention, so I'm am doing other things while its on in the background. I want to watch it and will watch all episodes because of the previous series*, but it's not good enough to retain my attention.

* I know both are not connected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Vaughan has been let down by the script more than anyone else for me.

It's Vaughan's character who has been given the Rust treatment with various nihilist/dark speeches, so he's the most dependant on the writing. He's been woefully let down for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

If next week isn't a full hour of the 3 guys/gal just completing the mountain of paperwork created from the end scene I'm giving up on this forever.

The problem is most of the episodes are boring and viewers are zoning out.

this . it's so uninteresting for the most part that I usually end up browsing the web and miss something like - "why have they gone to this location now?" it's just not compelling. if something is compelling you're watching every second of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Yup. Its not interesting. The underlying corruption is nothing I can't find in the Banking Inquiry. The characters are about as interesting as some of the apologists that mess spews forth. CF drinks too much :eek:- at least Matthew McConaughey had the good grace to send a lad for a six-pack before launching into his three days on-four days off drinking philosophy. Woody Harrelson's character existed to be on the side of the viewer - calling time on bull****. And hitting things.
    This was written fast and to a deadline and it tells. Three hours is more than enough time to establish a show. If this was a first season, we'd be talking cancellation not hidden meanings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭brevity

I really like it. Sure the dialog is a bit clunky but its well acted and has decent production values.

They are in so much **** now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Really enjoying it!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,886 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

well that was fubar'd, who tipped them off?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 103 ✭✭Nom De Guerre

edit

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

The Mayor or Police Chief??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

The tip off and Swat being held back were probably a combination of police chief & mayor.

I'm sure Velcoro knows this so will be interesting to see how he reacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

I'm enjoying this season but there's definitely something missing compared to last season...and i know they are different entities regarding cast etc. Still one of the best things on tv at the moment though.

The story just needs to kick up a few gears, its a slow moving season so far. I made the parallel before with season 2 of the wire. I think it might be one of those seasons that gets better on second viewing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think it's pretty good and I'm enjoying it. Script a bit off in spots but performances are good.

I was totally rooting for Vaughn but so far the script is letting him down more so than the other characters. I'm still waiting for 'that' definitive moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

I like the comparison to season 2 of The Wire, hated it at first but on second viewing enjoyed it.

TheDoctor wrote: »
    I like the comparison to season 2 of The Wire, hated it at first but on second viewing enjoyed it.

season 2 of the wire was my favorite season on first viewing it! The whole gritty setting of the docks was great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

yea season 2 of the wire was exceptional

The tip off and Swat being held back were probably a combination of police chief & mayor.

no police force would go into that situation so lightly, even if they crims didn't have a load of machine guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭VisibleGorilla

Finding this season absolute muck, nothing at all compared to the first.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

no police force would go into that situation so lightly, even if they crims didn't have a load of machine guns.

Do you think most police forces are heavily armed or something? Most offices rarely even draw their fun in their entire career despite what the films imply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Finding this season absolute muck, nothing at all compared to the first.

It was never going to be anything like the first one it's a completely different story, I'm actually getting sick of hearing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It was never going to be anything like the first one it's a completely different story, I'm actually getting sick of hearing this.

Surely the quality can be the same. Just cos it's a different story doesn't mean it has to nosedive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

titan18 wrote: »
    Surely the quality can be the same. Just cos it's a different story doesn't mean it has to nosedive

That's your opinion so, I'm actually enjoying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

That's your opinion so, I'm actually enjoying it.

Ah come on its not a terrible show but its not amazing, I'm still watching it but compare the dialogue for example between this season and the 1st one and you can see a massive drop in quality.

This is one of the better shows on TV at the minute but thats fairly faint praise considering its cast and budget.

Its nice seeing Colin Farrel being a good actor again and he seems to actually have dialogue thats slightly believable, everybody literally everybody else talks like they are in a Noir film and its just grating.

ixoy wrote: »
    Do you think most police forces are heavily armed or something? Most offices rarely even draw their fun in their entire career despite what the films imply.

why do I keep hearing and SWAT teams and APCs used to collect fines in the US

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

why do I keep hearing and SWAT teams and APCs used to collect fines in the US
    Yes but they're SWAT teams - it's their job to be heavily armoured. These were ordinary cops and they specifically mentioned SWAT weren't available. Ordinary cops don't armour up in the same way especially when they don't have reason to think there's going to be a big gunfight. That and they're being set up.

ixoy wrote: »
    Yes but they're SWAT teams - it's their job to be heavily armoured. These were ordinary cops and they specifically mentioned SWAT weren't available. Ordinary cops don't armour up in the same way especially when they don't have reason to think there's going to be a big gunfight. That and they're being set up.

think i've seen arrests in the UK with more armour, helmets atleast.

re watched the scene, one of them asks whether all that manpower was necessary, he knew he was going to loose a lot of men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

season 2 for me is quiet poor, only watching due to season 1.

There is 2 big issues for me:

- Season 1 had 2 detectives who were the main characters for the whole season.
    This season has too many central characters, too much screen time to spread out and so we are not getting proper character development. The pacing feels wrong and scenes just play out with no proper intro/build up.

- Lack of Credibility - the lady cops dad, no detective work, the gay cops shady past and shady mom, Vinny Vaughan and his very quick rebuilding of his criminal empire. etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

It's written by the same guy and it has the same title, of course it's comparable to season 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hof1982

This is def not on the same level as season 1 IMO but is still one of the better shows on at the moment. Colin Farrell is very good but I agree with previous posters comments that they are trying to squeeze in too much with too many central characters with the result that it's hard to get hooked into the story.

That being said I will def stay the course and watch the remainder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Ok, going to probably get ripped apart for this...was told about True Detective after it was over, so I watched season 1 right through. Good show, but never could understand how everyone thought it was so amazing. IT was like the occult nature of the show overtook everything and the fact that McConaughey's character was not at all sympathetic or actually that interesting is overlooked.

Really liked Woody Harrelson but overall I really thought the whole thing was overrated, it is by no means a masterpiece like the Wire. Now Season 2 perhaps is different but I am not seeing any massive difference in quality,not amazing but still good. In face I think Colin Farell is the best out of all the characters from both seasons.

AS for the argument of people being "bored" and "nothing happened", this is such a throwback to the Wire where people want action every second and everything to be wrapped in the 60mins. Its the same reason people couldnt latch to the Wire. You had to watch the entire 12 eps to the get the story, each episode was like a chapter in a book. True Detective, in both seasons is similar.

Advertisement