Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

.ak wrote: »
    VV's character would be fine if it didn't have the wooden wife dialogue. God it's painful to watch. Trying to be noire when it isn't really.

Colin Farrell, for me atleast, is carrying the show... but I do like the bike cop's development, seems like he could go absolutely pyscho, and I hope he does.

But yeah, I hate to compare it to the first season, as they're different animals, but the truth is it doesn't compare at all... TD1 is probably one of the best TV series of all time, it's a masterpiece in media terms. TD2 is enjoyable, and has some interesting plots and looks delicious, but it's awful confused and very clumsy.

It's not even one of the best shows of the last 10 years, it fell apart in the end and became very silly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

i think the ending of TD1 was a bit implausible but still the show was epic up until that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Thought last nights episode was good, the pace really picked up.

People seem to be looking at series 1 with rose tinted glasses IMO, up to the last few episodes it was painfully slow as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Don't see how episode 5 was a step up, thought it was more of the same really, fairly boring. If this was anything more than an 8-episode season I would've stopped watching by now.

It's not rubbish though, it's above average but that doesn't cut it any more after what we've seen from season 1 and other shows like Breaking Bad.

Production is fine, it's the characters and story that are weak, just not interesting enough. Colin Farrell is doing a good job but still don't care about his custody battle.

im enjoying it too. its just missing something though that the previous season had. but still watchable IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

How are people hating so hard on this show, Its miles ahead of anything else on the box at the minute. Episode five was excellent, Really feels like the story is coming together now.

VVs character is a bit off the wall but I'm really warming to him now to. I really feel it building to a really good ending and can't wait for the remaining episodes.

I also don't get what's not to like about that bar with the girl playing an electric guitar very badly, Is kinda odd for the sake of odd but I think it really works.

How are people hating so hard on this show, Its miles ahead of anything else on the box at the minute.

People keep saying this. Call me a snob, but I don't watch much TV outside of a few selected shows. Comparing this to Coronation Street doesn't make it any better.

If this wasn't called True Detective, I'd probably have given up on it by now. Five out of eight episodes in and its still meandering.

People keep saying this. Call me a snob, but I don't watch much TV outside of a few selected shows. Comparing this to Coronation Street doesn't make it any better.

If this wasn't called True Detective, I'd probably have given up on it by now. Five out of eight episodes in and its still meandering.

I'm not comparing it to that rubbish, I fail to see how its meandering especially after the latest episode, Allot of subplots going on (which only add to the show imo) but the main story has been ticking along quiet nicely slow sometimes but that's not a negative for me.

Had people bot got carried away with the first one they would realise that this is a very good season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I think my favourite part about last nights episode was where McAdams said something along the lines of "This girl vanished & we didn't solve the case / it wasn't the Mexicans and noone cares". Amen sister!

It was probably the best episode so far. Once again Colin Farrel was the best thing about it.

My favourite part was where McAdams was making the therapist uncomfortable talking about girth, he tried to shut her up, and the other guys said "No, no, let her go on"

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

It's not even one of the best shows of the last 10 years, it fell apart in the end and became very silly.

There was a lot of silliness throughout the 1st season though, it wasn't confined to just the last few episodes. The last couple of episodes were weaker but I don't think it fell apart completely. I'd agree that it isn't one of the best shows in the last 10 years.
    Roquentin wrote: »
    i think the ending of TD1 was a bit implausible but still the show was epic up until that point.

What was implausible about it?
    That Rust survived?
    How are people hating so hard on this show, Its miles ahead of anything else on the box at the minute.

If this is miles ahead of anything on tv at the moment then we can safely say that we are not in a golden age of television :D
    Episode five was excellent, Really feels like the story is coming together now.

The last episode was clearly the best so far but it still feels like that Pizzolatto doesn't have enough story for 8 episodes (something I'd say about the 1st season too).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Don't see how episode 5 was a step up, thought it was more of the same really, fairly boring. If this was anything more than an 8-episode season I would've stopped watching by now.

Only 8 episodes? How the hell are they going to wrap all this up in 3?

nm wrote: »
    Only 8 episodes? How the hell are they going to wrap all this up in 3?

id say it will pick up pace in the next three

was funny when frank said "can i help you cisco kid"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Riskymove wrote: »

I find it hard to believe that the majority of people would find it so confusing, its not that complicated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

He's not a lawyer ;)

Yes but lawyer was easier to type than 'litigator who likes to shove tampons soaked in grain alcohol up his ass' :)
    .ak wrote: »
    VV's character would be fine if it didn't have the wooden wife dialogue. God it's painful to watch. Trying to be noire when it isn't really.

Colin Farrell, for me atleast, is carrying the show... but I do like the bike cop's development, seems like he could go absolutely pyscho, and I hope he does.

But yeah, I hate to compare it to the first season, as they're different animals, but the truth is it doesn't compare at all... TD1 is probably one of the best TV series of all time, it's a masterpiece in media terms. TD2 is enjoyable, and has some interesting plots and looks delicious, but it's awful confused and very clumsy.

I think the end of season one was trying to wrap up the whole storyline waaaaay too fast and neatly. There was easily enough material there for a season 2 with Rust and Marty tracking down the rest of the child abduction ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I've just realized who it is the gay cop reminds me of....Jason McAteer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I find it hard to believe that the majority of people would find it so confusing, its not that complicated.

It is when you are zoning out from the boredom of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Mechanical Clocktail

The gay biker cop character is coming along well, he's improved massively. It helps that he's a man of few words. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I still don't get the wild obsession with season 1. I found it an absolute chore to watch. It was just so oppressively dark and marvelling in it's own dark magnificence. I simply couldn't get past episode 4 despite trying to a few times. This season is far better in my eyes. I also think people are taking the VV character way too seriously. He's meant to be that guy who talks that type of rubbish in an attempt to make himself sound better than he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

molloyjh wrote: »
    I still don't get the wild obsession with season 1. I found it an absolute chore to watch. It was just so oppressively dark and marvelling in it's own dark magnificence. I simply couldn't get past episode 4 despite trying to a few times. This season is far better in my eyes. I also think people are taking the VV character way too seriously. He's meant to be that guy who talks that type of rubbish in an attempt to make himself sound better than he is.

I have never read a post that I disagree with more strongly than this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

A lot of people seeming to counter a lot of the criticism this show has received on this thread. Absolutely no problem with that but the main rationale I've seen used to highlight its quality is 'it's miles better than anything else on TV'.

If that's the case I would expect plenty of people to be able to explain why that is so, and what aspects of the show elevate it above the rest of the dross, but I've yet to see a post which does this in a convincing manner.

I think it would be a far easier task to write such a post about the first series, despite it perceived flaws.

Regarding the episode itself I definitely enjoyed it more than any of the other episodes, mainly because the pacing rose above the level of glacial for really the first sustained time across the 4/5 hours.

In saying that I still feel that every second that Farrell isn't on screen is wasted screen time and I still feel that every problem the series has stems from the identity crisis the show has displayed from the get go. I'm still not sure who/what it's about conclusively and I don't think it is either.

what was the thing about the pictures of the blue diamonds can someone explain to me.

Roquentin wrote: »
    what was the thing about the pictures of the blue diamonds can someone explain to me.

Casper had the four blue diamonds kept in a safety deposit box, they were found after his death and submitted as evidence.

They subsequently went missing from the evidence lock up.

Between the time of claspers death and the diamonds being found, the fat lazy cop that was shot in the head had been looking for the diamonds in local pawn shops leading us to conclude he knew allot mor about Casper than he was letting on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Better episode picking up a bit ,

Farrell brings girlcop to the empty bar with the "weird" singer 😆 he must go their and only there After work every night I think he is the only customer that's why the girl Scarface like him so much, lol ðŸ˜

Biker cop hides his life savings in his dodgy mums trailer behind a cupboard seriously?

Girlcop screws up so gets sent work in the evidence locker in the basement , lol happens in every police movie/show every made , would not the evidence locker be a place to put only trustworthy cops? , I love to work there skim it dry.

Dodge ball character arc is just boring, I can't keep thinking of dogeball everytime his on screen ,

Its good but too much going on for just 8 episodes too many main characters , they should have dropped vv as a secondary character in background, and just focussed on the police work
    Feels like they setting up a five season show at times

The shoot out was like SOA lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Casper had the four blue diamonds kept in a safety deposit box, they were found after his death and submitted as evidence.

They subsequently went missing from the evidence lock up.

Between the time of claspers death and the diamonds being found, the fat lazy cop that was shot in the head had been looking for the diamonds in local pawn shops leading us to conclude he knew allot mor about Casper than he was letting on.

Missing girl had photos of them as well am I right

Stuff missing from evidence room lol ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Better episode picking up a bit ,

Farrell brings girlcop to the empty bar with the "weird" singer 😆 he must go their and only there After work every night I think he is the only customer that's why the girl Scarface like him so much, lol ðŸ˜

Biker cop hides his life savings in his dodgy mums trailer behind a cupboard seriously?

Girlcop screws up so gets sent work in the evidence locker in the basement , lol happens in every police movie/show every made , would not the evidence locker be a place to put only trustworthy cops? , I love to work there skim it dry.

Dodge ball character arc is just boring, I can't keep thinking of dogeball everytime his on screen ,

Its good but too much going on for just 8 episodes too many main characters , they should have dropped vv as a secondary character in background, and just focussed on the police work
    Feels like they setting up a five season show at times

The shoot out was like SOA lol

LOL I just remembered the scene in season 1 where Rust takes the coke from the evidence locker and walking out says "There's got to be a better system than this" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Ah sure that's opinions for you. I beg to differ. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Thought last nights episode was good, the pace really picked up.

People seem to be looking at series 1 with rose tinted glasses IMO, up to the last few episodes it was painfully slow as well.

I see this a lot, and I know a lot of people didn't get into it because of that, but for me I loved the pace of it, I fell in love with it from the first scene and never not liked it. I felt it didn't need to be rushed, the dialogue and acting and atmosphere was so good it didn't need to be any more pacey.

The problem with this series is it does need the pace because the dialogue and setting just isn't as clear and interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

decent ep.

season 1 obv was much better.

farrell is really superb here. massive screen presence!

will keep watching.

Advertisement