Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Missing girl had photos of them as well am I right

Stuff missing from evidence room lol ,

Ya shes tied up in it as well somehow, It doesn't look too good for her given the state of that cabin. It could be herself and Dixon were blackmailing people from the party.

"Went missing" is the pc way of saying stolen by a dirty little piggy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭johnruns

Was really looking forward to it,knew it wasn't going to be as good as the 1st one but very disappointed,totally bored with it and the rubbish acting by Farrell is only overshadowed by VV who is completely out of his comfort zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Thidp

Bezzerides shouldn't feel bad she is in Evidence Control.

Even Cedric Daniels experienced that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭qwabercd

johnruns wrote: »
    Was really looking forward to it,knew it wasn't going to be as good as the 1st one but very disappointed,totally bored with it and the rubbish acting by Farrell is only overshadowed by VV who is completely out of his comfort zone.

Eh....no, just no.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

nm wrote:
    Vince Vaughn's character.. he answers stuff too quickly, delivers the lines in an unrealistically fast way. There is no way any normal human could come out with the stuff he does without even a millisecond to think about any of it before it comes out of the characters mouth.

Dunno how you can say that, people are different with different thought processes. You've obviously never watched any Sorkin work where every character has a quick smartass response to everything.

On a more general note there is no way, not a chance in hell, I would dedicate 5 hours to a show I thought was brutal or boring. ****'s sake like, time for me to unfollow this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

People are entitled to their opinions, there isn't much else on TV lately. Why you feel the need to say you're unfollowing a thread on the internet is sadder than any negative feedback here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭larchielads

Bambi wrote: »
    I've just realized who it is the gay cop reminds me of....Jason McAteer

Ha ha bang on there bambi !!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Dunno how you can say that, people are different with different thought processes. You've obviously never watched any Sorkin work where every character has a quick smartass response to everything.

OT, but I could never understand how anyone rates this guy as a writer. Where's the skill in having every character talk like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I think Farrell has generally been good in this, but when he realised he'd killed the wrong guy for raping his wife all I could think of was this piece of valuable acting advice: https://youtu.be/XQzQRaQINns?t=1m6s

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thidp wrote: »
    Bezzerides shouldn't feel bad she is in Evidence Control.

Even Cedric Daniels experienced that :D

Hah, yes. I expected her to break out her mini furniture collection. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Mechanical Clocktail

OT, but I could never understand how anyone rates this guy as a writer. Where's the skill in having every character talk like this?

I can't stand Sorkin. Him and Joss Whedon are piss poor writers. They're both trapped in their little pithy/witty boxes and can't write characters different to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

I can't stand Sorkin. Him and Joss Whedon are piss poor writers. They're both trapped in their little pithy/witty boxes and can't write characters different to each other.

In fairness their characters are different, the problem is they can't keep from using them as puppets to show how clever they are.
    Mind you TD could do with some wit of spark of cleverness, the characters are demonstrably not stupid but seem to want to hide their intelligence. A small flash of cutting wit would give them an edge they all lack. Just being the strong silent type won't endear you to an audience without some glimpse of the personality behind it. As it is, we are dependent on what they do to guess at personalities, this leaves us at a distance from the characters, observing without engagement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Hah, yes. I expected her to break out her mini furniture collection. :pac:

All the pieces matter!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Imagine thinking that the guy who created the West Wing is a piss poor writer. The mind boggles.

Imagine thinking that the guy who created the West Wing is a piss poor writer. The mind boggles.

Not everyone thinks the west wing is amazing. I don't. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Yeah good point. All of Sorkins characters were the same.

I hated how the rich and priveledged, elderly, academic, philosophical, MS suffering white president............. was the exact same as the young, dirt poor black orphan kid who wished for a better life. Identical really. :P

Sorkin wrote some Mary Sue characters and for sure they are all overly clever but they are certainly not all the same.

As for Whedon, I'm sure if Tony Stark, Woody from Toy Story and the vampire with a soul all walked into a bar they would have something to talk about. Mainly their differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

You don't think The West Wing is amazing? or you don't agree with everyone who thinks its not amazing? Are you a screenwriter for TD with that kind of poor writing?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

fruvai wrote: »
    I think the "it's not realistic" argument is pretty silly. Why does it have to be realistic?
    I'm not the one who came out with the unrealistic argument. I was just referring to how people think that everything in the first season is golden when comparing it to season two. Didn't someone earlier in this thread even moan about how Bezzerides carries one of her knives in it's sheath.
    I don't think the drop in quality was as dramatic as you've stated though. BTW, what did you find unrealistic about the killer in relation to the plot?
    Can't remember exactly but didn't the guy who had the video tape stolen by rust get killed so as not to expose the whole group? Then the let the mad lawn guy, with bodies all over his property just keep getting on with his life.
    And you said it yourself about how it changed when they caught up with the present and dropped the flashbacks.
    I think McConaughey's charisma had a massive role in the first season's success. He was so compelling that he made some of the stuff that could seem ridiculous in the wrong actor's hands (like the pastor house break-in,nihilistic monologues etc.) sublime. Harrelson was also terrific in the stolid, less showy role.
    They were both incredible, none of the characters in season two have that same bond, either on or off screen.
    The escape in the 4th episode of the 1st season is one of the best scenes that's ever been on television. I felt like I was there with him experiencing it. The shootout in Season 2 isn't bad per se but it just wasn't anything that hasn't been done before.
    My comparison, again, is purely aimed at people who say the shoot out in season two was unrealistic without remembering the shoot out in season one.

:rolleyes:

You don't think The West Wing is amazing? or you don't agree with everyone who thinks its not amazing? Are you a screenwriter for TD with that kind of poor writing?

You're trying too hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Girlcop screws up so gets sent work in the evidence locker in the basement , lol happens in every police movie/show every made , would not the evidence locker be a place to put only trustworthy cops?

It's got nothing to do with being trust worthy. It's putting someone in the position that they hate the most. She's a detective and she's bumped down to basically working as a librarian. Constantly reminded of the work she used to do when she has to store and retrieve evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 103 ✭✭Nom De Guerre

There had better be a monster twist in this

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Monsters would be a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

And like a lot of dreams, there's a monster at the end of it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeh, wouldn't be mad on the WW tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

TheDoctor wrote: »

Brilliant!

I like season 2, i loved season 1 but it wasn't perfect.
    Lets just wait for the final 3 episodes of this season before comparing both seasons.

As for this season I keep waiting for things to kick up a gear but it hasn't happened yet....and they are running out of time. There has been a few endings of episodes that seemed to draw a line in the sand and i was thinking NOW it can kick on. But then the next episode seems to go backwards. There just doesn't seem to be enough story or two many characters i'm not sure which.

In saying all this i do still enjoy it and Farrell is playing a blinder IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Thidp

TheDoctor wrote: »

One of the best endings of an episode that I ever seen...

The monologue from Rust, tension building and that shot of Ledoux after Rust says this. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭wilddarts

Excuse my ignorance, i'm following the story but I dont know/understand what the plastic surgeon guy said to Colin Farell just at the end of the scene where CF is batin the shoite of him with a paddle or sumthin. I think its got to do with the weirdo psych/plastic surgeon guy killing the mayors wife??? Can anyone please enlighten me? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

this has been a real disappointment. no sex, little violence, no tension.
    I thought the story line was going to be about the illegal immigration trade, witchcraft/evil cults, I am sure I read that somewhere.
    well that sounds like a great plot.

the plot and writing this season is dreadful, the last episode the 3 cops met with the woman Prosecutor at the end. The reasoning given for her interest in re investigating the whole thing is ridiculous, especially her reasons for using the colin Farrell character.

Also the west wing is probably the most fantastical, over - hyped boring rubbish ever made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

There's actually only one way of reading his perfectly grammatical sentence. He doesn't agree that the ww is amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

QuinDixie wrote: »
    the last episode the 3 cops met with the woman Prosecutor at the end. The reasoning given for her interest in re investigating the whole thing is ridiculous, especially her reasons for using the colin Farrell character.

I joked at the start that it was like a noir version of lethal weapon 2, that little plot twist though would have made even mel gibson blush

Advertisement