Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

Bambi wrote: »
    I joked at the start that it was like a noir version of lethal weapon 2, that little plot twist though would have made even mel gibson blush

It was a bit zany, the tone was set when farrell was shot but survived because of rubber bullets. The makers missed a trick because it would have been a great scene and a real shock if Farrell was killed.
    But playing out the scene with Farrell surviving because of rubber bullets, i actually cursed the show under my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭golfball37

Plastic surgeons, high class hookers attending high class parties, Los Angeles, shoot out between non guilty party and protagonists, 3 central cop characters.
    It's a rip off of LA Confidential so far anyway imo.
    Vince Vaughan just about pulled off the Norman Bates remake so I thought he'd manage the challenge but in this role he is completely out of his depth and the show is suffering for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

golfball37 wrote: »
    Vince Vaughan just about pulled off the Norman Bates remake so I thought he'd manage the challenge but in this role he is completely out of his depth and the show is suffering for it.

Personally I think VV would be fine if he didn't have such terrible lines to work with. I don't think the character is meant to be an out and out thug with a thin veneer of respectability rather someone that genuinely didn't revel in being a criminal

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Personally I think VV would be fine if he didn't have such terrible lines to work with. I don't think the character is meant to be an out and out thug with a thin veneer of respectability rather someone that genuinely didn't revel in being a criminal

His dialogue is atrocious , who writes that crap, "i never even had a cavity" I could write better myself

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

Be interesting to see how this season's critics take tonights episode! Thought it was really great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Was good alright. Music didn't really fit the last 15 mins I thought but other than that easily best episode so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Brilliant effing episode.. Roll on the last 2 now

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There's nothing worse for me than the kind of lazy ****e dialogue they give non-native speakers.

Irina: "we talk on phone"

She's not Eastern European, she speaks fairly fluent English so there's no reason whatsoever for her to drop the article there. She goes on to speak in perfectly cromulent English and has evidently no trouble understanding Vaughan's tiresome growling. Does nobody re-read these scripts or cop on to how dumb this sort of thing sounds during filming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

After the last episode picking it up a bit, this episode dropped it back down again. Very poor imo.

Basically there was 45 minutes of nothing but boring drawn out and pointless story lines before we get some action/advancement of the story.

They built up the Vince Vaughan Colin Farrell stand off like it was going to be something big but it ended up as just boring, where both characters basically ended apologizing to each other.

Then they spent about 10 minutes on this guys Stan's family. Stan was in the series for less than a minute and turned up dead. If you missed that minute of the show you have no clue who Stan is. 10 minutes of Stan's family who see for the first time and probably the last time to find out that Vince Vaughan's business partner was up to something which we knew already. There have been so many random story lines it would be more than forgiven if you didn't have a clue who Stan is/was. They spent 10 minutes on storylines that seem completely irrelvant to the main story like Colin Farrell's dad, Tim Riggins being gay, Vince Vaughan and his wife having trouble conceive, etc why the fcuk couldn't spend more time on Stan if he is a vital part of the story?

The mansion party scene left a lot to be desired also. It was a little drawn out with Rachel McAdams wandering around the party for which seemed like an eternity. I thought it was a bit hilarious that Colin Farrell and Tim Riggins could conveniently hear through windows at the perfect time to hear the crucial business dealings going down and then pick up scandalous documents so easily. Rachel McAdams' escape was hilariously convenient too. Stabs a bouncer in front of a dozen people, nobody screams or alerts more attention, walks out the first door into Tim Riggins' arms and the drugged up girl who she had to drag through the mansion suddenly has the ability to run as soon as they are outside. The drive away escape was so easy too. The guys had to act like Navy Seals to get close to the mansion but to escape took a bit of running and driving away in a Prius with nobody chasing (probably not a Prius but whatever).

2 more episodes, i'll probably watch just because there is nothing else on TV but damn this season is disappointing bordering terrible TV.

PS there are waaaaay too many cheesey one liners in this series, they are getting tiring. Colin Farrell to rapist "You know me, you just didn't know you did" Pure CSI Miami stuff right there

• Registered Users Posts: 60,643 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Advertisement

3/4 the way through this episode and I really don't know whats going on. Who is this girl that Vince Vaughn is after? I keep dozing off.

It was just explained on the phone call

I thought the last 15 mins was fantastic. The music was overbearing in a good way. I thought the patrolling guards was kinda funny. Like something out of a video game.

I think the reveal at the end epitomises this show for me: a bunch of signed contracts. Whoop dee do. How ****ing boring can you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I seem to be alone as I'm kind of enjoying this series.
    While it is convoluted and all over the shop I'm still finding myself looking forward to the next episode to see what happens.

I liked this episode but does anyone know who the man in the flashbacks is?
    I know is one of the men who used to hang out with the cult but cant pinpoint who he is.

I seem to be alone as I'm kind of enjoying this series.
    While it is convoluted and all over the shop I'm still finding myself looking forward to the next episode to see what happens.

I liked this episode but does anyone know who the man in the flashbacks is?
    I know is one of the men who used to hang out with the cult but cant pinpoint who he is.

I'm guessing it was her father? Judging by the hairstyle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

I'm guessing it was her father? Judging by the hairstyle

I strongly disagree, If it was her father I doubt she would be able to speak to speak to him, plus why wouldn't they just use the same actor and make him look younger.

He's just a randomer who abused her when she was younger imo, probably connected to her fathers commune.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It wasn't her father, but it was someone he obviously brought into her life. (hence him being a mad hippie).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Probably somebody in the Hippie community she grew up in that molested her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Fantastic episode. McAdams is absolutely brilliant. Really enjoying this season.

Last two episodes have been brillant hopefully we will get a strong finish from this point.

On phone to frank the woman said that a cop gave her caspers possessions the person she described sounded allot like rays superior, that came to rays house, Kevin I think his name was.

The kids from the jewelry shop robbery would be between 25 and 30 now it could be Blake is the young boy in the photograph and he wants the diamonds as he sees them as his birthright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Mechanical Clocktail

The kids from the jewelry shop robbery would be between 25 and 30 now it could be Blake is the young boy in the photograph and he wants the diamonds as he sees them as his birthright.

Which would be something lifted straight out of bloods a rover. James Ellroy should probably sue at this stage.

The writing is still poor and it's too late to improve. It's like they tried to create a show with no momentum.

All of the boring side stories take away from the story rather than add to it. The unnatural dialogue is a combo of pretentious and bland. It's flat, talentless stuff.

I'm only watching for the cast, and because I've already come this far. With a better team, better writers, this could have been great. The actors involved are doing their best with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Thidp

Good episode... Rachel is doing very well, great acting.

I didn't understand the music for the last scene, it was a tense moment and that music sounded like something from a final scene of a drama movie...

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

DID they just launch a commando raid on the hooker party rescue the missing girl and the documents?

How many did they kill ? , what happened to search warrants and procedures and stuff.

Next week the 3 amigos parachute into panama and get the blue diamonds and the missing hard drive from the evil cult!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Ray could have made proper use of the booze and coke at that party :D

Paul with a tackle that Tim Riggins would be proud of was my favourite part of the final showdown.

However,
    for some reason I thought the whole sex party/drugged up bit was poorly done. Felt the sex scenes were far too cheesy or something, and the music was like something out of an early "Talkie" film and didn't really add to the experience (her stabbing the bodyguard and the subsequent grapple with him was very Hitchcock-ean and almost cringeworthy (in my opinion).

Definitely an improvement overall as of late though.

Which would be something lifted straight out of bloods a rover. James Ellroy should probably sue at this stage.

The writing is still poor and it's too late to improve. It's like they tried to create a show with no momentum.

All of the boring side stories take away from the story rather than add to it. The unnatural dialogue is a combo of pretentious and bland. It's flat, talentless stuff.

I'm only watching for the cast, and because I've already come this far. With a better team, better writers, this could have been great. The actors involved are doing their best with it.

I pretty much disagree with all that.

I'm just speculating about the kids from a jewelry shop but should it be true its probably a story we have heard many times before, plus its a very small part of the plot.

The show is moving along quiet nicely now so to say the writing has not improved is wrong, The pacing of the show may have been a bit slow at the start but it had to be like that as we were learning about the characters rather than the plot, which I have no problem with.

The side stories are not boring, gay cop marrying for the sake of a child, hard as nails female detective who gets suspended for sexual misconduct, crime boss having fertiliry issues, and Farrel who is all kinds of ****ed up, convoluted probably boring definitely not.

There has been some dodgy dialogue but most of it has been good and some of it has been very good, its subjective but I really liked the line about blue balls of the heart, and the basement story was very good.

You nailed your flag to the mast early on, as did l, something tells me this is a futile argument.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Keplar240B wrote: »
    How many did they kill ? , what happened to search warrants and procedures and stuff.
    Eh they killed nobody in the raid. Now if there's no fall out from the fact they seized documents illegally then I'll join you in a roll eyes because I've watched more than enough cop shows to know that just doesn't happen. I don't expect the attention to detail of 'The Wire' but this would be a bit too careless.

ixoy wrote: »
    Eh they killed nobody in the raid. Now if there's no fall out from the fact they seized documents illegally then I'll join you in a roll eyes because I've watched more than enough cop shows to know that just doesn't happen. I don't expect the attention to detail of 'The Wire' but this would be a bit too careless.

Bezzeridies killed one guy.

It just means that the documents can not be used as evidence, they can still be used in other ways.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Bezzeridies killed one guy.
    Oh sure but not as part of the commando raid. Different circumstance there. There's no witness since everyone else was busy.
    Now maybe they were videoing that and she's recorded..
    It just means that the documents can not be used as evidence, they can still be used in other ways.
    Probably - doubt their boss is going to be too ecstatic. Then again she's hardly a shining example of best practices.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭brevity

Good episode, quite tense in parts.

Think everyone is acting quite well but the dialog is pretty poor in places, especially for Vaughans character. It's like he has to say something obscure, threatening and insightful all at once but it's coming off so badly, he just sounds confused.

I don't understand why people have issue with it being like LA Confidential, LA Confidential is a good movie. It's a noir show set in LA, with corrupt cops and prostitute's, its going to be similar to it.

A similar thing happens in the Mr Robot thread where people are giving out that its like fight club.

So ****ing what if it's like something else. It can still be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Thidp

ixoy wrote: »
    Eh they killed nobody in the raid.

Ok, they didn't show it, but if the guy that Ray kept beating on isn't dead, he is gonna be pretty ****ed up at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I just want it to end so I can be done with it.

Advertisement