Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

last episode was chinatown mixed with LA Confidential mixed with eyes wide shut. pretty good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Mechanical Clocktail

I pretty much disagree with all that.

I'm just speculating about the kids from a jewelry shop but be true its probably a story we have heard many times before, plus its a very small part of the plot.

The show is moving along quiet nicely now so to say the writing has not improved is wrong, The pacing of the show may have been a bit slow at the start but it had to be like that as we were learning about the characters rather than the plot, which I have no problem with.

The side stories are not boring, gay cop marrying for the sake of a child, hard as nails female detective who gets suspended for sexual misconduct, crime boss having fertiliry issues, and Farrel who is all kinds of ****ed up, convoluted probably boring definitely not.

There has been some dodgy dialogue but most of it has been good and some of it has been very good, its subjective but I really liked the line about blue balls of the heart, and the basement story was very good.

You nailed your flag to the mast early on, as did l, something tells me this is a futile argument.

We're not having an argument, I just posted my opinion. I don't nail flags either so don't tell me I do. If you think engaging with me is futile then why are you replying to my post when I wasn't talking to you.

The show is easy to follow. The side stories are poorly conceived and executed. The dialogue is objectively terrible, that's on you if you can't hear it. The show "borrows" heavily from other material and does a poor job with it.

Fyi you'll see from my posts that I was behind the show and gave it a chance. It's a stinker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

brevity wrote: »
    Good episode, quite tense in parts.

Think everyone is acting quite well but the dialog is pretty poor in places, especially for Vaughans character. It's like he has to say something obscure, threatening and insightful all at once but it's coming off so badly, he just sounds confused.

I don't understand why people have issue with it being like LA Confidential, LA Confidential is a good movie. It's a noir show set in LA, with corrupt cops and prostitute's, its going to be similar to it.

A similar thing happens in the Mr Robot thread where people are giving out that its like fight club.

So ****ing what if it's like something else. It can still be good.

It is nothing like LA Confidential. LA Confidential is a good movie, TD 2 is absolute utter rubbish. It actually reminds me of Hannibal the TV show, as in the writing is poor, the acting is poor, the plot is ridiculous, the characters are unbelievable and zero humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

I just want it to end so I can be done with it.

If all you want is to be done with it then stop watching!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Then stop watching it. Jesus I've never seen so much b!tching about a TV show in my life than I have seen here.

If you don't like the thing don't watch it and leave these threads to people who actually want to discuss the thing. We'd all be happier. You wouldn't be watching something which obviously bothers you and you wouldn't be inflicting your frustration on others. Practically the dictionary definition of win-win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭brevity

QuinDixie wrote: »
    It is nothing like LA Confidential. LA Confidential is a good movie, TD 2 is absolute utter rubbish. It actually reminds me of Hannibal the TV show, as in the writing is poor, the acting is poor, the plot is ridiculous, the characters are unbelievable and zero humour.

I don't think it's rubbish, I think it's trying too hard and is very clichéd.

The dialog is poor, the acting is OK and the plot is fine. I don't really see any wrong with the plot. It's interesting to me to see how they are going to tie it all up.

We're not having an argument, I just posted my opinion. I don't nail flags either so don't tell me I do. If you think engaging with me is futile then why are you replying to my post when I wasn't talking to you.

The show is easy to follow. The side stories are poorly conceived and executed. The dialogue is objectively terrible, that's on you if you can't hear it. The show "borrows" heavily from other material and does a poor job with it.

Fyi you'll see from my posts that I was behind the show and gave it a chance. It's a stinker.

If your weren't talking to me then why quote my post?

The dialogue is not objectively terrible that just your opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Mechanical Clocktail

If your weren't talking to me then why quote my post?

The dialogue is not objectively terrible that just your opinion.

I wasn't. Then you said something to me, and now we're talking. God help ya. No wonder you find the show hard to follow.

It is objectively terrible on many levels. Writers workshops could use it as a lesson in what not to do.

I don't think it's rubbish, I think it's trying too hard and is very clichéd.

The dialog is poor, the acting is OK and the plot is fine. I don't really see any wrong with the plot. It's interesting to me to see how they are going to tie it all up.

its actually annoying how bad it is. Its like they have gone out of their way.
    The last TV Drama i really enjoyed were TD1 and Wolf Hall. So I was really looking forward to TD2 and so to me it is utter rubbish. But that does not mean it is for everyone.

I wasn't. Then you said something to me, and now we're talking. God help ya. No wonder you find the show hard to follow.

It is objectively terrible on many levels. Writers workshops could use it as a lesson in what not to do.

Where exactly did I say the show is Hard to follow?

Are you stupid or somthing? You quoted my post first so you definitely started this conversation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Roquentin wrote: »
    last episode was chinatown mixed with LA Confidential mixed with eyes wide shut. pretty good

hehe .. exactly what I was thinking, so some sort of child sexual abuse trauma memory rising in Ani ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

If all you want is to be done with it then stop watching!

It's car crash tv. It's so bad I want to keep watching and see how they can make it even worse than it is. It's pure and utter cringe summed up by the scene near the end with the gay cop breaking in and stealing the documents.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

QuinDixie wrote: »
    It actually reminds me of Hannibal the TV show, as in the writing is poor, the acting is poor, the plot is ridiculous, the characters are unbelievable and zero humour.
    Hannibal has poor writing and acting?! What?! That's one of the most ridiculous things on this thread so far, alongside claims that this season is terrible TV. I'm wondering how much TV some posters here work or are they so fixated on their hate that they're just tearing it apart at every level (and certainly not objectively).

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Thidp wrote: »
    Ok, they didn't show it, but if the guy that Ray kept beating on isn't dead, he is gonna be pretty ****ed up at least.

didnot also biker boy strangle a sentry at the start?

1:launch illegal murderous commando raid at hooker party with no backup while another cop is undercover inside with no backup
    2: ???
    3:solve case

what would real police do?

Edit
    They should call it bad detective,
    It took rust and woody 15 years to catch ya man , #justiceforcasper

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

If you wanted to be done with it then surely you would have already stopped watching and stopped posting in this thread? Clearly you don't want to stop watching because you're interested in seeing how the story develops and ends.

Every week the same people come to this thread to bitch and moan about how bad this season is but they continue to tune in every week? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭beardo81

It is enjoyable but by no means classic tv. The raid at the end was like something straight out of a Hitman video game!

Some of the dialogue is not great, the seemingly meaningful and 'badass' one-liners just are not coming off, I can see why people are complaining.

It is a little more careless and one has to suspend belief more than the first series, however I do find it enjoyable and the actors/characters are all very interesting.

Really looking forward to an excellent last couple of episodes, it is definitely improving and building to something good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Keplar240B wrote: »

Sleeper hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭brevity

Life is too short to be watching a television show that you don't like and then giving out about it on the internet.

Watch something else.

Keplar240B wrote: »

Probably just knocked him out with a choke hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Sleeper hold.
    Looked more like a Cross-face Chicken Wing to me.

• Advertisement

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    If you wanted to be done with it then surely you would have already stopped watching and stopped posting in this thread? Clearly you don't want to stop watching because you're interested in seeing how the story develops and ends.

Every week the same people come to this thread to bitch and moan about how bad this season is but they continue to tune in every week? :rolleyes:

I'm in the precarious position where this show happens to have the same name as my favourite show of all time. I need closure. While it's not terrible, it's particularly ground breaking either.

We're going around in circles every week this this debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

I seem to be alone as I'm kind of enjoying this series.
    While it is convoluted and all over the shop I'm still finding myself looking forward to the next episode to see what happens.

I liked this episode but does anyone know who the man in the flashbacks is?
    I know is one of the men who used to hang out with the cult but cant pinpoint who he is.

I don't think we know yet but I wonder is that who Bezzerides father 'last imposed his will on' in 1978? As in he found out about what happened and beat the living sh1t out of him.. All will probably not be revealed anyway.

I'm with you, i'm loving this season. Funny how people can completely hate it. That's the beauty of opinions I suppose! I think I may unfollow the thread though, the negativity doesn't really add to my enjoyment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Life is too short to be watching a television show that you don't like and then giving out about it on the internet.

Watch something else.

Its not a terrible show but I will keep watching it for the few more episodes left (if it was a longer season I would stop and give up on it) because it has its moments and because its such a waste of potential, each episode I think it might kick up a gear and reward the viewers with more than hints of how good it could be but each time its a disappointment.
    People aren't complaining because they want to hate it, they are complaining because they want to like it but the awful dialogue, pointless subplots, inappropriate music and poor pacing mean its just not particularly enjoyable.

Edit: and the fact this show has done so much poorer with the critics than the previous season might not be because they want to be different but because it is actually just not that great in what it actually delivers

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

The scene where McAdams manages to pull her knife and slice the guard so quickly was great, really tense as it looks like she may be done for, with the music adding to the tension.

I'm a first time poster on S02, but am really enjoying it as a fan of S01. I managed to start just before E04 was broadcast, so had seen such overwhelmingly negative comment, which probably gave an increased enjoyment level and the knowledge that you can't blink as regards the storyline. The best part is that with two episodes to go, the story and major conspiracy could go in any direction.

I know that the background storylines can be a bit slow, but remember from S01 that it was about the journey of the key detectives themselves. A lot of people never got this the first time round with the final episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I enjoyed it. She sliced that guy up good and proper! :P

However that music during the last 10 minutes was ridiculously out of place, overbearing and distracting. Really poor choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Didn't mind the song at the very end in the car but yeah, during the party it felt quite jarring and a poor fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I thought this week’s episode was fantastic. One of the best hour long episodes of tv I’ve seen in a while.

The music at the party scene gave it a dreamy/nightmare quality. Really added to the tension.

ixoy wrote: »
    Hannibal has poor writing and acting?! What?! That's one of the most ridiculous things on this thread so far, alongside claims that this season is terrible TV. I'm wondering how much TV some posters here work or are they so fixated on their hate that they're just tearing it apart at every level (and certainly not objectively).

Hanibal was a great idea but developed into run of the mill nonsense.
    No better than the following, the mentalist, homeland. all dreadfully boring sap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭VisibleGorilla

Good episode.

Ray knows how to have a good time.. crazy!

Advertisement