Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

QuinDixie wrote: »
    Hanibal was a great idea but developed into run of the mill nonsense.

I'm not sure how much you watched but it's most definitely not run of the mill now even if it started off as killer of the week.

Anyway, you don't seem to enjoy TV much, more being angry at it, so we'll leave it there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

would concur about hannibal and homeland. with hannibal you had too many people being killed (murder of the week). just made it ridiculous to be honest. what they should have done with it was made it 8 episodes and just concentrate on the cheepaskate killer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

Roquentin wrote: »
    would concur about hannibal and homeland. with hannibal you had too many people being killed (murder of the week). just made it ridiculous to be honest. what they should have done with it was made it 8 episodes and just concentrate on the cheepaskate killer.

Hanibal should have been set in the 60's/70's when the FBI started to develop an understanding of them.
    It would have been more atmospheric and also you are correct, one serial killer running through the season would have made perfect sense.

ixoy wrote: »
    I'm not sure how much you watched but it's most definitely not run of the mill now even if it started off as killer of the week.

Anyway, you don't seem to enjoy TV much, more being angry at it, so we'll leave it there.

I am very picky, the sopranos, band of brothers, the wire, twin peaks, TD 1.
    All top stuff.

There was a new show, cancelled now I think, called stalker. I would place TD 2 in the same category as stalker, SILLY.
    TD2 has a boring story, poor casting choices, too many main characters, no intelligent police work, very little tension/unnerving scenes.
    It is very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I thought the music at the end was fine for inside the house when Ani was all spaced out, but seemed very inappropriate for the lads outside with their ninja escapades. But overall I thought it was a fantastic episode.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Jesus . I can't believe people are putting Hannibal in the same category as the following. Jesus christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,446 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

cheepaskate killer.

you mean the Chesapeake Ripper? :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Skerries wrote: »
    you mean the Chesapeake Ripper? :D

There was a licencing issue with the name

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Hanibal was a great idea but developed into run of the mill nonsense.
    No better than the following, the mentalist, homeland. all dreadfully boring sap.

Strongly disagree with this, Hannibal is by far my favourite show on tv at the moment and although I am a Homeland fan (since season 1 it has dipped big time) Hannibal is leaps and bounds better. Each to their own I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Strongly disagree with this, Hannibal is by far my favourite show on tv at the moment and although I am a Homeland fan (since season 1 it has dipped big time) Hannibal is leaps and bounds better. Each to their own I suppose.

Thought season one of Hannibal was shocking bad if im honest and dropped it half way through.

Season one of homeland was good but wasn't to gone on how it ended so didnt bother with season 2.

Your right tho each to their own.

• Advertisement

the audience arent stupid. one must construct a series or film for that matter in such a way that the audience finds it believable. the reason why hannibal and homeland dont work (although homeland initially did) is because the producers in order to make the series entertaining resort to putting in scenes that are just not plausible. the audience then sees such and such a scene and says thats just not believable.

with hannibal, there were simply do many sensationalist murders in the baltimore area (or where ever it was set). in real life you would be lucky to have this kind of serial killer murder once every ten years and then the producers of hannibal expect us to believe that there is one every episode. it defies reason.

if one was to calculate the number of people killed by killers in hannibal through the three series, it must be easily 50 people. then some are killed in these sensationalist methods. it is just not plausible.

this is a huge reason why the audience rejects a film or series. that the things happening in them not believable. its also the reason why true detective is very good, because what happens is believable.

edit: its a pity about hannibal. it had potential to be very good.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Except that Hannibal discarded the killer of the week approach, which undermines the argument (and it wasn't all local murders).

Disagree also on the realism too being required. Hannibal is fantastical too as much about the twisted relationship between Will and Hannibal as anything. That worked brilliantly, even more so in the second season but since you dropped out early on you've missed all this. You're judging it on what it was and what you thought it should be.

Hannibal is one of the strongest shows airing (and critically well received too) and far ahead of this season of True Detective (to bring it back on topic).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

As a massive Manhunter fan, I watched half of episode 1 of Hannibal and was frankly appalled...
    Does season 2/3 have a dramatic shift in tone/shooting style or something (I don't mean just the killer of the week format)?

True Detective S2 has been entertaining, but overall a let down. The movie shooting scenes to have a swipe at Fukunaga was petty. Vince Vaughn has been awful. Storyline contrived and needlessly opaque.

ixoy wrote: »
    Except that Hannibal discarded the killer of the week approach, which undermines the argument (and it wasn't all local murders).

Disagree also on the realism too being required. Hannibal is fantastical too as much about the twisted relationship between Will and Hannibal as anything. That worked brilliantly, even more so in the second season but since you dropped out early on you've missed all this. You're judging it on what it was and what you thought it should be.

Hannibal is one of the strongest shows airing (and critically well received too) and far ahead of this season of True Detective (to bring it back on topic).

where did i say that good sir?????????

i actually watched all of the first series and up to episode 11 in series two.

even if the murderers arent all local, the sensationalist approach to the murders is farcical. it doesnt happen the real world

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

where did i say that good sir?????????

i actually watched all of the first series and up to episode 11 in series two.

even if the murderers arent all local, the sensationalist approach to the murders is farcical. it doesnt happen the real world

The phrase suspension of disbelief comes to mind. Look I'm the same as you when it comes to most procedurals like NCIS where i can't fathom why someone would join the military when to go by the show you're more likely to be killed at home then abroad(one an episode, 22 episodes a season, 12 seasons and counting. the mind actually boggles). But when a show is as good as Hannibal I cut it some slack. I actually think the show faltered this season when it strayed from the case of the week stuff which had given the show structure and curbed its more esoteric tendencies.

Anyways back on topic, one problem for me with TD2 is that Mathew McConaughy's nihilisitic ramblings have been caricatured to such an extent that seeing a comedic actor like Vaughn deliver similar lines feels like a SNL sketch with no punchline.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

Anyways back on topic, one problem for me with TD2 is that Mathew McConaughy's nihilisitic ramblings have been caricatured to such an extent that seeing a comedic actor like Vaughn deliver those lines feels like a SNL sketch with no punchline.

McConaughey had better material to work with and gave the performance of his career. Vaughn can act but he's not suited to his role (though I do think he's a better dramatic actor than a comedic one) and the material isn't as strong. I don't think McConaughey's performance (and the subsequent parodies) have any bearing on how the audience views Vince Vaughn's character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Typical Yanks can't even handle the whiff of eccies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Great episode up there with one of the best including season! Really love this show and can't wait for next weeks episode! Ha Ha I knew Vince Masuka would be at a sex party!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Ha Ha I knew Vince Masuka would be at a sex party!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I really can't understand the hate for Vaughn. I personally think he's brilliant in this series, he delivers his lines with pure menace and is very believable as an ex gangster being drawn back into his old life.

But as the Dude once said "That's just like my opinion man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Faith+1 wrote: »
    I really can't understand the hate for Vaughn. I personally think he's brilliant in this series, he delivers his lines with pure menace and is very believable as an ex gangster being drawn back into his old life.

That's not what the dude said :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Run before they get you!! :pac:

Bambi wrote: »
    That's not what the dude said :mad:

Sorry. I was listening to my Eagles record when I posted that comment.

I just got around to watching episodes 1-6 of S2 last night. Really enjoying it so far and think that Farrell and Vaughn are outstanding in their roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

When Ray visited the prison there was a tiny part of me wanted the wife's rapist to be a chubby ginger guy.

When Ray visited the prison there was a tiny part of me wanted the wife's rapist to be a chubby ginger guy.

It was even more bizarre, that kid does not look like the rapist or the mom.

Maybe the father was raped and the big reveal in the last episode is who the mother is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

the rapist could well be the father.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I think Vince Vaughan's wife could be the father! Maybe she used to be a he! Thus why she can't have kids and pushing the adoption angle!

• Advertisement

Maybe the father was raped and the big reveal in the last episode is who the mother is.

sorry what do you mean, im confused? whos raping who exactly

Advertisement