Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

I think Vince Vaughan's wife could be the father! Maybe she used to be a he! Thus why she can't have kids and pushing the adoption angle!

The season ends with Vincent Vaughan character saying to his mrs, on finding out this news
    "Well, nobody's perfect":pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Rachal McAdams - proper bad ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I hope this opens up a different style of acting for McAdams. Farrell is this seasons Mcconaughey, in that I believe he will have the most to gain from the show. But it would be nice to see McAdams move from those romantic roles into something else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Has she been bogged down in romantic roles? I'm not that familiar with her back catalogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭howyegettinon1

Would love to watch this but cant take Farrell seriously

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Would love to watch this but cant take Farrell seriously
    That's quite a shame, since he's the best thing about this show. Gripping to watch throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Has she been bogged down in romantic roles? I'm not that familiar with her back catalogue.

Most of her high profile stuff is rom-com all right. But she has done a few thrillers and dramas as well. This is her first time doing a role like this one though AFAIK.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

she was in a most wanted man. the film was only ok though

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Roquentin wrote: »
    she was in a most wanted man. the film was only ok though

She was in State of Play and Red Eye as well. She certainly hasn't been limited to rom-coms by any means, but that's how most people probably know her.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

What was with the music over the party scene, it's was really cheesy. Was the director trying to do something with it, juxtaposition over extremely violent scenes or something, it was brutal, felt like it was just tacked on...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

It's not the same without Farrell's moustache.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

molloyjh wrote: »
    She was in State of Play and Red Eye as well. She certainly hasn't been limited to rom-coms by any means, but that's how most people probably know her.

and now she's in a film about a newspaper investigating the child abuse in the US catholic church http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1046097/news?ref_=nm_nwr_1#ni58848762

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Mechanical Clocktail

Red Eye is underrated. Good film.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Yeah she was very decent in Red Eye, she's a very attractive lady!

the last two episodes have seen a marked improvement on what has gone before. I don't think that any of the leads have been bad but yes it's farrell > mc adams > vaughan but a lot of that is down to the script and nature of the parts that they have been handed. hopefully the remaining episodes will continue the recent curve and I suspect that they will as there is now a bit of momentum towards some sort of end-game. I get the impression that the writers had the latter-half plot in mind and back-filled the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭brevity

I read a good interview with McAdams in the Sunday times I think, she comes across quite well IMO. Said she got a bit startled with everything after Mean Girls. She toured around Ireland for a bit as well

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

I'm looking forward to the next one which wasn't the case up until episode 4 as it felt like a chore. I think they have it the opposite to last season. Farrell's stock will certainly go up now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,382 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Had to catch up on last 3 episodes last night, this series has certainly improved. Very much looking forward to Monday night. Think Farrell and Vaughn have both done well, McAdams too.

Hazys wrote: »
    The mansion party scene left a lot to be desired also. It was a little drawn out with Rachel McAdams wandering around the party for which seemed like an eternity. I thought it was a bit hilarious that Colin Farrell and Tim Riggins could conveniently hear through windows at the perfect time to hear the crucial business dealings going down and then pick up scandalous documents so easily. Rachel McAdams' escape was hilariously convenient too. Stabs a bouncer in front of a dozen people, nobody screams or alerts more attention, walks out the first door into Tim Riggins' arms and the drugged up girl who she had to drag through the mansion suddenly has the ability to run as soon as they are outside. The drive away escape was so easy too. The guys had to act like Navy Seals to get close to the mansion but to escape took a bit of running and driving away in a Prius with nobody chasing (probably not a Prius but whatever).

I liked the scene because most of the emphasis was on her, despite what was happening in and around the house. At the start she was drugged. iirc, it was a mouth spray, not a pill. I'm no medic, so I'm not sure how that works in terms of making yourself sick to counteract the effects. Maybe it's pointless since it would be absorbed into the bloodstream quite rapidly compared to a pill. I don't know. I liked the music, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

You just know there's going be a huge battle at the end.

• Advertisement

I liked the scene because most of the emphasis was on her, despite what was happening in and around the house. At the start she was drugged. iirc, it was a mouth spray, not a pill. I'm no medic, so I'm not sure how that works in terms of making yourself sick to counteract the effects. Maybe it's pointless since it would be absorbed into the bloodstream quite rapidly compared to a pill. I don't know. I liked the music, too.

An aerosol means it was absorbed through the lungs so throwing up wouldn't have worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

An aerosol means it was absorbed through the lungs so throwing up wouldn't have worked.

Which it didn't seem too. Could be why they use aerosol

Which it didn't seem too. Could be why they use aerosol

Ya, you can pretend to swallow a pill and then palm it too. I believe the show made it seem like throwing up helped though.

The other thing is that was the most inaccurate depiction of someone on ecstasy I've ever seen. It was like a scare mongering government sponsored ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Ya, you can pretend to swallow a pill and then palm it too. I believe the show made it seem like throwing up helped though.

The other thing is that was the most inaccurate depiction of someone on ecstasy I've ever seen. It was like a scare mongering government sponsored ad.

I highly doubt that was just ecstasy, I'd say there was something like a date rape drug in there also

weemcd wrote: »
    I highly doubt that was just ecstasy, I'd say there was something like a date rape drug in there also

Sure, look it's just a tv show. It's not real anyway. They said it was molly, which is ecstasy. Do you need to date rape a bunch of hookers. The answer is no. And the girls would know anyway what it was - this wasn't the first party. It's just more shoddy writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

She is allergic or had an adverse reaction or something her getting sick or trying to get sick is just part of it , its not shoddy writing clearly something wrong with her not the gear everyone's fine

Keplar240B wrote: »
    She is allergic or had an adverse reaction or something her getting sick or trying to get sick is just part of it , its not shoddy writing clearly something wrong with her not the gear everyone's fine

Allergic, come off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Coming up on ecstasy too quickly can make you feel sick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Keplar240B wrote: »

It struck me as more a panic attack coupled with the resurgent memory, I don't think it was the effect of the drug itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

That Russian has a quare Kerry twang :pac:

Advertisement