Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Didn't like that last episode at all. Felt totally rushed.

Lieutenant Burris being at that particular building exit of that particular tunnel access hatch seemed a bit much too.

It's only OK this season. Some good acting in it but poorly written in my opinion. Better than most of the ****e on though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Really enjoyed it. Cant wait for next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Lieutenant Burris being at that particular building exit of that particular tunnel access hatch seemed a bit much too.

Ya that bit was really annoying and could have easily been written better, much like last weeks episode when Paul just happens to be passing the window when the bad guy are inside doing a very bad job locking up some incriminating evidence.

These are small gripes tho and I can ignore them as its so damn entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

It's only OK this season. Some good acting in it but poorly written in my opinion. Better than most of the ****e on though :)

Your man said to Woodrugh that there were eyes all round outside, it just so happens Burris was covering that exit. Other ops guys were probably covering elsewhere.

Unfortunately Paul never really had a chance of surviving.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Fair play to Woodrow being able get out of that 5 on 1 situation, totally plausible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Fair play to Woodrow being able get out of that 5 on 1 situation, totally plausible

I know, it's almost as if it's a TV show and not real life!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Effects wrote: »
    I know, it's almost as if it's a TV show and not real life!

Agreed! Where were the aliens and dinosaurs thou?!

yes that came out of nowhere - when was the last time the Burris dude was on screen before this? - didn't have a clue who he was. this could be down to the fact that he was in a boring episode where I was zoned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

He was two episodes before I can think of.

I remember him because I was trying to recall what else the actor had been in that I've seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

Colin Farrell has been good in this, has had some great lines. Do you want me to roll you a joint - excellent.
    Unfortunately,though the best episode of the season, it was far too rushed.
    Lady cop reunites with estranged family. Gay cop gets taken out by elite delta force. vinny gets ousted, kills 2 men and puts a generation off gas cookers.
    About 3 episodes worth crammed into 1.
    The makers had the main ingredients for a classic but for many reasons have made an average TV drama. Pity because I was looking forward to this.
    the only winner in this season is Johnny Walker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

glasso wrote: »
    yes that came out of nowhere - when was the last time the Burris dude was on screen before this? - didn't have a clue who he was. this could be down to the fact that he was in a boring episode where I was zoned out.

Burris was always seen on screen with Chief Holloway so it makes sense that whatever they were involved in, they were in it together.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 103 ✭✭Nom De Guerre

Any word if there's gonna be a 3rd season?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

I would imagine so.

Cant see it ending after only two seasons, especially the awards season 1 got

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭brevity

QuinDixie wrote: »
    and puts a generation off gas cookers.

Ha ha ha. Its funny you say that as I've just moved into a house with a gas cooker and am now extra wary of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭DeadHand

loyatemu wrote: »
    It's not the same without Farrell's moustache.

... Or his erratic fringe.

I think the physical transformation is symbolic of his character's evolution: from corrupted sleazeball to moral crusader.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭brevity

Any word if there's gonna be a 3rd season?

I'd say so as well. I think Pizzolatto needs a writing partner though. Someone to reign him in a bit as he goes overboard here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

was that not the door he went in through?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Yes it was and Miguel Gilb stated that there were eyes and ears on Paul everywhere...or something along those lines.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I hate to be a plot hole dragger-upper, and I've been a lot more supportive of this season than most, but there's no realistic way the orgy guys would have reported the security guard's death to the police and named Bezzerides (I mean the force at large, not just the corrupt insiders) and have it put out into official channels. They weren't even in Vinci where they might have been able to concoct a cover-up of 30 drugged up hookers and lots of rich influential men having an orgy. Best practice here would be to throw his body in a hole and deal with it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

sabat wrote: »
    I hate to be a plot hole dragger-upper, and I've been a lot more supportive of this season than most, but there's no realistic way the orgy guys would have reported the security guard's death to the police and named Bezzerides (I mean the force at large, not just the corrupt insiders) and have it put out into official channels. They weren't even in Vinci where they might have been able to concoct a cover-up of 30 drugged up hookers and lots of rich influential men having an orgy. Best practice here would be to throw his body in a hole and deal with it themselves.

they don't have to make it stick, just find her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

How incredibly easy do you think it would be to hide the fact that there were illegal dealings going on there though? Everyone was their by consent so nobody was going to talk about things like the prostitution, drugs or dodgy deals getting done. There was a party with high profile guests. There were security guards. One was killed. End of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I personally thought that episode was woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

A good catch up for anyone who is a bit lost

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/08/03/true_detective_season_two_a_guide_to_the_plot_of_this_confusing_season.html

After reading it I believe the show would have been fairly brilliant if it was done over a couple of seasons. There has just been way too much crammed in in one season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

molloyjh wrote: »
    How incredibly easy do you think it would be to hide the fact that there were illegal dealings going on there though?

I'm guessing that if you call the police and report a murder, about ten patrolmen, 6 sergeants and detectives, 4 technicians, x amount of EMT workers, maybe a few reporters who've been tipped off, lots of people from Internal Affairs and federal agents because the perp was a cop etc. will show up. All they had to do is delete the camera footage, concoct a story, stage the scene to match their story then get about 100 people off their t1ts on yokes to confirm this story. P1ss easy...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Watching the 4th episode of this here now. Still waiting for something to happen. Very disappointing, first series was superb.
    Colin Faddle mumbling and brushing back his hair, and Vince trying to act as a bad guy is just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

brevity wrote: »
    I'd say so as well. I think Pizzolatto needs a writing partner though. Someone to reign him in a bit as he goes overboard here and there.

All he needs is Cary Fukunaga.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Thidp

He needs Rustin Cohle :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Best episode so far, bit of action, less really clunky dialogue. Still haven't a notion WTF is going on though.

Where did VV get all that cash from, he told his Mrs they had 200K tops?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I'm guessing that if you call the police and report a murder, about ten patrolmen, 6 sergeants and detectives, 4 technicians, x amount of EMT workers, maybe a few reporters who've been tipped off, lots of people from Internal Affairs and federal agents because the perp was a cop etc. will show up. All they had to do is delete the camera footage, concoct a story, stage the scene to match their story then get about 100 people off their t1ts on yokes to confirm this story. P1ss easy...

Pile the women back onto their bus and ship them out and that's 90% of the job done right there. A little bit of cleaning (might not even be required) and sorting out the story and that's about it. And sorting the story with the people there would be easy. Were there even cameras there? Why would they record those things and open themselves to the risk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

loyatemu wrote: »
    Best episode so far, bit of action, less really clunky dialogue. Still haven't a notion WTF is going on though.

Where did VV get all that cash from, he told his Mrs they had 200K tops?

It may not be all his money, or he lied as he didn't want to leave and telling her the truth may have meant an argument.

Advertisement