Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

loyatemu wrote: »
    Best episode so far, bit of action, less really clunky dialogue. Still haven't a notion WTF is going on though.

Where did VV get all that cash from, he told his Mrs they had 200K tops?

If you mean the money to buy the diamonds, it is the money he intends to steal from the gangsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Did anyone else get the feeling that Frank smells a bit of a rat with the wife?

I thought he wanted her to see your man dead on the floor to check for a reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Did anyone else get the feeling that Frank smells a bit of a rat with the wife?

I thought he wanted her to see your man dead on the floor to check for a reaction.

I don't think so. I think he wanted her to see him for who he really is, going back to that honesty conversation a few episodes back. I know it would be tempting to have her in on the whole thing as well but I think that would be too much personally. Not everyone needs to have an angle or be part of a conspiracy or be totally f-ed up. She's one of the few normal and relatable characters in the show and has a huge bearing on how we view Frank. To have her turn on him would have to elicit a lot of sympathy and I don't think they have time to do that properly along with everything else in the last episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

molloyjh wrote: »
    Pile the women back onto their bus and ship them out and that's 90% of the job done right there. A little bit of cleaning (might not even be required) and sorting out the story and that's about it. And sorting the story with the people there would be easy.

Wow, sounds like you have it all sorted out. And easy to pull off too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Best episode so far, bit of action, less really clunky dialogue. Still haven't a notion WTF is going on though.

Where did VV get all that cash from, he told his Mrs they had 200K tops?

He's stealing it, he has 200k in cash, and on top of which he's going from club to club taking all the cash in the safes before burning them out.
    This is a last clear out before going to Venezuela. Plus the satisfaction of leaving nothing for the people who crossed him.
    Its exactly what someone with his temper would do, burn it all down!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What kind of idiot goes to Venezuela with a load of cash? Does he know anything about the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

What kind of idiot goes to Venezuela with a load of cash? Does he know anything about the country?

he's not, he's going to exchange it for diamonds - hence his meeting with the Jewish stereotypes.

I'm still confused about all the different gangsters though - VV has his own crew (who all seem to be double-crossing each other). Does he own the clubs? Then there's the Russian mafia, the Mexican drug dealers - who are the guys in the ice-cream parlour that he cuts a deal with at the end? :confused::confused:

who are the guys in the ice-cream parlour that he cuts a deal with at the end? :confused::confused:

Middle eastern gangsters?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Effects wrote: »
    Wow, sounds like you have it all sorted out. And easy to pull off too!

Pretty easy yeah. Do you really think they hold that party somewhere where they don't have friends in the police to look after them too? It really isn't that big a plot hole, if even one at all.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

molloyjh wrote: »
    Pretty easy yeah. Do you really think they hold that party somewhere where they don't have friends in the police to look after them too? It really isn't that big a plot hole, if even one at all.
    And it's not like Season 1 didn't have a conspiracy that stretched credibility even further but people bought that. This one I find more believable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Its just cliche after cliche, I thought it might have picked up after last week but that was atrocious, thank god for the action scenes at the end because there is no dialogue.

McAdams saves it, only character I care about now, Farrell is under used and Vaughan and his wife is diabolical, the line about the wifes period, Good God.

I'll get the finale on catch up and watch it some time next week.

Its about 4 episodes too long, 3 or 4 seem season fillers looking back now, that's down to the writing.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

i still think its pretty good.

I'm just looking forward to it being over. I've found it disappointing and only kept watching as I had already invested in it.
    I'm hoping that they straighten a few things out for the third season and learn from their mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Further evidence this week that the show has been cluttered with characters and ideas from the start.

The great U.S. TV shows of the last fifteen years had had some great and moving death scenes.

Mod Note

Spoiler tags have be added at the request of a number of posters.

This post contains spoilers for a number of different TV shows - The Wire, The Shield, The Sopranos etc..
    Wallace in the wire, Chris in the sopranos, Lem in the shield etc...

Did anybody feel anything when woodrough got shot? I certainly didn't and afterward I was wondering what point the inclusion of the character served, although I did think overall the actor did a fine job, I wasn't aware of him previously but I'd watch him again.

In any case it's another indication of muddled the show has been since episode one. As somebody above noted Farrell has been under utilised in the last few episodes, primarily because the show has had to really go into overdrive progressing the plot after such a meandering start.

While I've enjoyed parts of this series is have to chalk it down as a fairly drastic disappointment. Somebody told me at the weekend that pizzolato had the story for season one gestating for years. If true it proves that imo he can do great work but needs longer than the ludicrously short turnaround between series 1 and 2. This is particularly pertinent as we are talking about an anthology format, which requires a whole new story each time out.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The great U.S. TV shows of the last fifteen years had had some great and moving death scenes.
    Ok, firstly - spoilers! You're also comparing some characters who were in multiple seasons of a show with someone who only had time to develop over 7 episodes. A little unfair. The one case where the character appeared for a bit less is an innocent kid so obviously going to feel a bit more. Now that's not to say that I particularly cared here but a more relevant example surely?
    If true it proves that imo he can do great work but needs longer than the ludicrously short turnaround between series 1 and 2.
    Ludicrously short? It's a longer turn around than most shows get and there are shows written primarily one writer done in these time frames with more episodes. In the time he had we should expect better than what we're getting - it's not an excuse that I think should be held up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Mechanical Clocktail

Cop on posting spoilers there. It isn't fair to other people.

If we're talking about a spoiler re: wood rough its been mentioned numerous times in the thread, furthermore the mod note mentions spoilers for future episodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Mechanical Clocktail

If we're talking about a spoiler re: wood rough its been mentioned numerous times in the thread, furthermore the mod note mentions spoilers for future episodes.

The wire, the sopranos etc. You know well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

TheDoctor wrote: »
    He was two episodes before I can think of.

I remember him because I was trying to recall what else the actor had been in that I've seen.

24 ? He played Audrey ex husband I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

ive stayed outta here all season, but i must say this has been just a terrible season of tv, there are so many problems with the show, the casting, storytelling, the location, just everything is wrong, season 1 was vastly overrated, but it was still very good, but the issues of season 1 have followed the show into season 2, and have grown arms and legs,

they had woody and matthew for season 1, built 2 great characters (prefered woody TBH), but they didnt really know the characters, they were well written individuals, but outside of the show who the **** were they, they seemed hindered and shoehorned into place to suit the needs of the show, but at least for what existed of the characters they were great characters, very memorable, but very unrealistic, not 100% unrealistic, but enough to justify saying it,

it was the ending of season 1 that ruined it for me, the last 2 episodes felt like something completely different than the other 6, it really showed that these guys really just didnt have a ****ing clue what they were doing,

and that why they asked for 2 years to write another season of it, and of course HBO said no, in the world of TV your paid million to put out a season of tv every year, if you cant do that then dont get involved, or if you dont know what your doing, get help,

i was watching season 2 reluctantly, and if we were in full september to may tv season i would have dropped it after 2 episodes, but even 7 episodes in its hard to pick out any positives, i was nearly laughing last week when the 2 boy were working their way up to the house to steal the documents, the score that was playing just did not suit the situation in anyway whatsoever, whoever does the score on this show just doesnt have a ****ing clue,

but after just watching this week episode i just had to finally post here, not that i liked woodrugh, but his death was just hilariously ridiculous, i mean just ****ing off the wall altogether, he took a guy out, ran id say half a mile down the track, climbed a completely random ladder, while killing all 4 guys chasing him, yet still here comes the ****ing luckiest guy in the world standing right behind the exact door he walks out, a door that didnt even seem in proper use as he forced it open, i mean what luck,

HBO while still having a few good shows, and i mean just good, (game of thrones is probably the only show they have that id rate above good,) has really fallen down a few notches over the last few years in my personal opinion, i think silicon valley is a prime example, its a good show, but its a good show that could be great, i think its very tame for HBO and would probably be more suited over on AMC, the same goes for this show, its just the writing i nowhere near as good as it could be, this season of TD is well below what i would even accept on cinemax 10 years ago, not that i love sex scene, but some (not all) of HBOs shows ive noticed use sex scene to lure in viewers, and then just get rid of them altogether, GOT and TD this year i think show that, and i think its being done on purpose so HBO can generate some kind of cleaner image and get more potential viewers, but for me anyway it really stands out that an element of a show has disappeared, and a compromise has been made, now shows can easily progress without it, a great show is a great show, but still its noticed,

/rant:D

• Advertisement

They (the writers) really ****ed this up. Needlessly complex

CZz11kn.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Is it bad that I don't recognize a single name on that chart?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

i still think it is good. but i agree with those who say its a bit confusing. i think there is too much or maybe im just slow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Roquentin wrote: »
    i still think it is good. but i agree with those who say its a bit confusing. i think there is too much or maybe im just slow
    just overall bad storytelling, we know whats happening, we just dont give a ****, its not engaging in anyway,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Watch this then watch Deadwood and see what HBO are capable of. Of course the dozy bastards cancelled Deadwood but TD will probably run for another 5 seasons.

Watch this then watch Deadwood and see what HBO are capable of. Of course the dozy bastards cancelled Deadwood but TD will probably run for another 5 seasons.

They've become risk averse, twisted western with character actor cast..... Cop show with Hollywood stars.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 24 Hours From Tulsa

Have a feeling Jordan will double cross Frank

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 24 Hours From Tulsa

Have a feeling Jordan will double cross Frank

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote: »
    Ludicrously short? It's a longer turn around than most shows get and there are shows written primarily one writer done in these time frames with more episodes.

Maybe he's just not cut out to write TV series in such short spaces of time. Just because other writers do can do it doesn't mean Pizzolatto can.

Advertisement