Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Effects wrote: »
    Maybe he's just not cut out to write TV series in such short spaces of time. Just because other writers do can do it doesn't mean Pizzolatto can.
    well hes in the wrong business so, its really that simple, i dunno how he could be shocked that HBO demanded another series within a year, i mean its not a mystery that TV shows have a new season every year,

they absolutely dragged the balls out of the second season, all the build up about scripting and location, they were constantly on about this actor and that actor, just a 16 month hype build-up, only to end up putting out that muck, so ive no sympathy for anyone involved in the show, they built the ship and they can sink with it,

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Irish94

Very strange finaIe. Vincent Vaughan's best episode. His acting was exceptional.
    Ray was the father. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Irish94 wrote: »
    Very strange finaIe. Vincent Vaughan's best episode. His acting was exceptional.
    He's an exceptional actor, always has been.

As for the show, while I admire the ambition, it simply didn't work - dull, boring and at times absolutely brutal, including tonight, especially the first 10 minutes. No tension to most of the scenes in the series barring a few with Vaughan. Extremely disappointing as this could have been better than season 1 given the setting and story.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Irish94

K4t wrote: »
    He's an exceptional actor, always has been.

As for the show, while I admire the ambition, it simply didn't work - dull, boring and at times absolutely brutal, including tonight, especially the first 10 minutes. No tension to most of the scenes in the series barring a few with Vaughan. Extremely disappointing as this could have been better than season 1 given the setting and story.
    Agreed. The first 10/15 minutes was a complete waste. Added nothing to the story.
    The score for this season was very poor. The choice of music for some of the scenes in the finale was awful. Shame really, I thought the score was one of the best aspects in season 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,643 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The actors were let down by terrible writing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Disappointing finale,the first 10 minutes were such a waste of time...Vince Vaughan acting was first class,stole the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Just watched episode 6 there...the opening lines are profound....

td_meme.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Enjoyed that ending, and I enjoyed the series.

Turns out the Internet was right to suggest the photographer, but the rest was still pretty much just a matter of how the pieces fell.

Weirdly I feel like this season tee'd up a sequel. There are protagonists and antagonists still alive, and their is plenty of motive for a return.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Well i thought it was a better finale then season 1, great acting by Vaughan and Farrell. Although you always got the feeling they weren't going to make it out alive. People might not have liked as much as the first but it was still a fine piece of television.
    It will be interesting to see if we will get a season 3.

Who's Len?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Well i thought it was a better finale then season 1, great acting by Vaughan and Farrell. Although you always got the feeling they weren't going to make it out alive. People might not have liked as much as the first but it was still a fine piece of television.
    It will be interesting to see if we will get a season 3.

Yes that's what disappointed me,it was slightly telegraphed that they would not make it out alive,I know it's pretty dark but corruption pays Mayor Chessani mark 2.

I think they'll start afresh in season 3,I don't think the evidence reveals to the journalist at the end to write the story about the cesspit that is Vinci will lead to a follow on season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

One thing (well scratch that one of the many things) i didn't get was both Colin Farrell and VV were being followed, did they both have trackers on their cars? Surely both had. Then were the two groups following them working together (the Mexicans and the cops)? i presume not, so confusing or too convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Hazys wrote: »
    One thing (well scratch that one of the many things) i didn't get was both Colin Farrell and VV were being followed, did they both have trackers on their cars? Surely both had. Then were the two groups following them working together (the Mexicans and the cops)? i presume not, so confusing or too convenient.

I did not recall seeing a tracker on VV car, I assume the Middle eastern gang sold him out to Mexicans or the Mexicans had intel at that location and picked his trail up there.

The Vinchi "cop" where stalking Colin Farrells son school hoping he would show up you can see the black SUV swinging by when Colin get's out of car at school, They put the transponders on his car while he was seeing kid, hoping he would lead them to girlcop and the intel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I had high hopes for this after season 1, and that was probably my first mistake.

I think Farrell and Vaughan were both marvellous in this, but the story over all was really poor. You would need a notepad to take down names and face to remember, I had to read 2 articles to figure out who was who and what the hell was going on.

I thought the finale was a bit tame in some regards, never really had any tension and that was some of the failing of this season over all. I thought it started off very well, some of the earry-ness from season 1 was there with the masks and odd parties, but they failed to materialize into anything of real significance. Character development never really happened except for Farrell and McAdams, Vaughan kinda had some of it and the only saving grace there was his acting, he was great for the whole thing.

Without a doubt for me, Taylor Kitsch was awful, his character was the weakest of the lot and his acting was subpar, how can someone mumble for so long?

I might rewatch season 1 again to redeem the TD persona, how they went from S1 to S2 they way they did has baffled me, but I guess they knew people would watch it because of the name.

If there is to be a 3rd, then hopefully its better thought out.

A floundering mess. I should have given up after the third episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Going to watch the finale tonight but i thought this season has definitely improved as it has gone on. Episodes 5,6,7 were all great IMO. I think there was a lot of messing around and showing aerial shots of roads in the first few episodes and not enough character development.

I agree the sheer number of characters seems to of hurt this season compared to season 1. I thought Farzel and Mcadams were excellent acting wise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Series is poor because people can't remember names and faces?

It was supposed to be intricate and confusing. The collusion of powerful people going back decades, Caspere's many dealings, Frank being sold out under his feet, Tasha doing her own thing, the three cops in the original investigation being tasked with other agendas other than just solving a murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

errlloyd wrote: »
    Enjoyed that ending, and I enjoyed the series.

Turns out the Internet was right to suggest the photographer, but the rest was still pretty much just a matter of how the pieces fell.

Weirdly I feel like this season tee'd up a sequel. There are protagonists and antagonists still alive, and their is plenty of motive for a return.

As Beseridas said to the journalist, it isn't her story anymore. The arc is over.

Sad to see how it ended anyway, but I suppose he felt he had to counter act people criticising the overly happy ending of season 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Risible end to a laughable effort, in the end who gives a f**k about what happens?

The plot lines were like an amnesiac hoarder trying to find something in his packed house, by the time he stumbles across it he doesn't even remember that he was looking for it and he's looking something else now anyway so it doesn't matter.

And if you don't give a damn about how the plot resolves then you better care about the characters, which you don't because up until the last two episodes they were all just standard issue tropes from a first person shooter. The supporting characters were just randomers who showed up to further the plot along when necessary.

I swear to god, the guy behind this must be borderline autistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Watched the finale just now and have to say the series was atrocious.

The awfulness of Vince Vaughan for 7 episodes and suddenly last episode has fantastic acting. Just demonstrates the mess of this series.

Dialog was comically bad, all over the place.

Acting from McAdams was 'ok', Farrell 'ok', Vaughan (see above).
    Red head female doesn't get a pipe to the head or a bullet in the tit ? like what the **** was that.

Totally forgettable. Glad its all over.

That's all folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

A meandering mess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

All I wanted was for them to put a few bullets in that awful singer's head and they couldn't even do that FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

It was dreadful. It was grim. The first season was grim but the acting, tension, pace and suspense was exceptional...watershed moment for TV.

Farrellel was immense in the series but the writing was atrocious. The dialogue was embarassing. Vaughan wasn't too bad but his dialogue was shocking at times. I should have turned it off when he mention the star trak refence - some wrap drive ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭brevity

****ing bleak finale. Was half expecting the lady with the scars on her face to push Bezerides over the side of the boat.

It was an OK series overall, the writing was poor in places and the story had too many angles. Still, it looked great and the locations were well sourced. The acting was fine for the most part, the casting I'm not so sure about. The writing did them no favours...

Like I've said before, Nic needs a writing partner. He gets carried away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Mechanical Clocktail

I couldn't believe I was watching the finale based on the long useless opening. The show was less than the sum of its parts and needlessly grim on ending. Not even a breaking news report at the end vindicating the protagonists. To manage to lose what little momentum the episode had at least ten minutes before the end credits.. such weak story telling. Good acting talent was the only thing it had. Even Vaughn did well in the last two episodes. But that's about the only positive thing I can say. I don't think such talent will line up for season 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I did my best to take the show in isolation knowing it would suffer badly with second season syndrome.

I enjoyed it in isolstion, but it did get messy in parts. Vaughan was excellent but felt Farell was brilliant throughout.

Final episode was when I truely got invested in the characters and their well being. Needed to happen four episodes ago.

Bit too much was tried with this, Kitsch entire character and story was unneccasary and pointless.

Enjoyed it, and hopefully will get a third season.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Ok so before watching the last episode I decided to watch the two before just so everything would be fresh in my mind.
    After watching the whole time I think it's fair to review how it went.

I was a huge fan of season 1 from the airing of the first episode to the airing of the last, this season was completely different style and I know it won't please everyone but I like that they tried. Was it as good as season 1? Opinions, but no a hard season to follow. Was it good in its own right? I think yes. I like how they tried to branch into a different style and didn't just follow the same formula, style and theme that made season 1 big. Yes at times it didn't work but I like how they tried something different to the first.

On the story I thought it was good, yes poor dialogue at times but that can be applied to most shows. Acting wise I thought Vaughn and Farrell were great, Vaughn especially in the final episode. McAdams and Kitsch were decent but I didn't think they were as good.

I know so many people loved season 1 and were never going to be happy with new cast for season 2 so their minds were made up before the first episode watched, other will not have liked this due to it's different style and simply not being their cup of tea or thinking it wasn't good enough. Personally I thought it was a good season. Not the wow that came with the unexpectedness of how good the season 1 did but a solid attempt.

In conclusion I know it is down to opinion but I feel a lot of people are being over critical of the season and I quite enjoyed it. I'd easily rate it 7 or 8/10 and think if it had of been seen without the expectations and footsteps to follow from season 1 it would have been received better.

Now will Pizzolatto decide to do a third season? Who knows, I doubt we'll see one soon but with HBO open to throwing him more money towards another installment I wouldn't be shocked to see him jump straight back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Gintonious wrote: »
    I might rewatch season 1 again to redeem the TD persona, how they went from S1 to S2 they way they did has baffled me, but I guess they knew people would watch it because of the name.

I did that after episode 4 to make sure I wasn't just being nostalgic. Nope, it was exceptional. This by comparison was just all over the place. Could've been another great but it was missing a Cary Fukunaga imo. Oh and I thought Vaughan was really good in this episode. Ropey thoughout though. Shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I did that after episode 4 to make sure I wasn't just being nostalgic. Nope, it was exceptional. This by comparison was just all over the place. Could've been another great but it was missing a Cary Fukunaga imo. Oh and I thought Vaughan was really good in this episode. Ropey thoughout though. Shame.

Agree 100%! Huge loss. As I stated before I thought it was decent, but I have no doubt he would have improved it a lot.

Advertisement