Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Early plot ideas for Season 3

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'm still not convinced that the writing is all that much worse from the first season. It too meandered and also ended on a limp note.

What I do think is a big difference is the directing - from photography, to music, to editing there's a great loss here. The acting wasn't as good either but stronger directing could have brought out better performances. Vaughn was, IMO, weak up until this episode which can be attributed somewhat to the writing but also to the directing on the show.

Not nearly as terrible as it's often made out, but I wouldn't be bothered at all if there's no third season. Plenty of better shows currently airing and to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

K4t wrote: »
    He's an exceptional actor, always has been.

As for the show, while I admire the ambition, it simply didn't work - dull, boring and at times absolutely brutal, including tonight, especially the first 10 minutes. No tension to most of the scenes in the series barring a few with Vaughan. Extremely disappointing as this could have been better than season 1 given the setting and story.

He hasn't put in a decent performance since Swingers and that was 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Interesting that Velcoro's death was foreshadowed in episode 3.

https://youtu.be/O0Fn7GZjR0Q?t=219

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Who's Len?

You address me by my proper title, you little b0llocks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭LastLagoon

What a mess. Called it after episode 3 but stupidly stayed for the wake due to season 1 good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Enjoyed it overall but the finale did feel like a bit of a mess. Again like in season 1 the more sinister people at work get away with it but I supposed that's what happens in the real world so shouldn't complain. Vaughan was excellent in that episode. The scenes in the desert by himself were brilliant. Loved the one or two shots of the vultures walking behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭beardo81

Ending felt very, very flat after the last two episodes, went out with a whimper rather then a bang.

Overall I enjoyed the series, some good moments and acting from the 3 leads (Kistch story-line and acting nearly totally irrelevant for me)

VV got a hard ride from critics, in fairness he was given some pretty cheesy lines to deliver but when called upon to really act, I thought he was great.

They need to go back to the drawing board for Season 3, as someone mentioned earlier, perhaps another writer or two to make it something really great.

That was...bleak. Think I'll put on the
    Red Wedding
    episode of Game Of Thrones to lighten the mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The overall detective plot of Season 1 was never the highlight for me, it was the two main characters, their stories, their relationship. That's really where Season 2 fell down, because it didn't have that. Farrell was tremendous throughout. Vaughn had some great moments and was pretty good throughout. McAdams was alright and Kitsch was just an also-there. But their stories were just fairly uninteresting, they barely had any real relationship with each other, and too much time was wasted throughout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I thought it was fantastic. Vaughan, Farrell and McAdams all played a blinder, and the supporting cast was a cut above what you'll see in other shows. For my money, there's no better TV show to spend an hour watching.

The story was convoluted, but that's kind of a central theme of both series: corruption touches every later and facet of society, leading to more injustice and corruption. Only once did I struggle to connect the dots: when they introduced the diamond heist.

Overall, I thought the character arcs and story were a bit more neatly closed off than the previous season, even if it was quite bleak. Season 1 dropped a lot of threads towards the end, and Rust's epiphany came out of nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

I liked it.

A bit confusing at times but the last 2 episodes sorted all that out.

Farreller has gone up a notch in my book.

If the first season never existed, I think people would be quite happy in general with this series!

It threatened to come good at the end after a couple of decent episodes but it just couldn't manage it.
    Some good acting from Farellel, Adams and Vaughan but the writing was too ambitious in its scope of characters and ended up being sometimes confusing and sometimes boring (the boring leading to the confusing mainly due to zoning out).
    Hopefully Fargo Season 2 will not befall the same fate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I really enjoyed the show overall but I wasn’t entirely satisfied with the conclusion. It was like they were going too far out of the way to give us a bleak ending. Velcoro’s last message to his kid failing to send and then us finding out he was the kids father after all? Bittersweet but also needlessly cruel. Also his name was never cleared from the frame on his boss’s murder.

I did like the final scene in Venezuela though. Good conclusion to Bezzerides story.

I’d like to see Nic Pizzolatto write another novel before returning to television.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Ebonics

Decuc500 wrote: »
    Also his name was never cleared from the frame on his boss’s murder.

Wasn't Ani giving the journo the evidence going to clear him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

The saved the worst episode for last, very silly episode to finish off a very silly TD2.
    The opening dialogue between farrell and lady cop, and vinny and his mrs, it was like they had invented a new language.
    the rest of the episode went from interesting to boring.
    I loved the ending, very funny, mcadams, vinnys mrs walk outside and there is the nails guy waiting for them.

Was the baby McAdams (Ray's) or Jordan Semyons?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Ebonics wrote: »
    Was the baby McAdams (Ray's) or Jordan Semyons?
    Mcadams - She told the journalist velcoros sons deserved to see his name cleared . Plural

Mcadams - She told the journalist velcoros sons deserved to see his name cleared . Plural

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Ebonics wrote: »
    Wasn't Ani giving the journo the evidence going to clear him?

True, he probably would have been cleared eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

overall i found it good but confusing. certainly watchable although the final episode was poor enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

You put a tracking device on a car so you can secretly follow the driver...

...but there's a big bright flashing red LED on it. Wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Gave up after ep.3.. in the meantime I've soberly watched West Wing (Alan Alda for prez), rewatched Life On Mars / Ashes to Ashes (laughs and memories) and am catching up on Hell on Wheels . Class shows all. Do watch - all four understand telling a tale. Never confuse boring with important.

Glad to know I missed Nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

A below average end to a well below average series. Practically every episode ended in a way which suggested that it was starting to pick up, but it never ended up doing that. The finale was ok, but relatively predictable and not particularly overwhelming. If there is a series 3 then I may watch it depending on who's in it, but it needs to be so much better than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

lets be honest this was terrible and laughable in parts.

overall farrell was good although the salute was just ridiculous.
    mcadams was ok.

others were awful.

major major letdown... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

You put a tracking device on a car so you can secretly follow the driver...

...but there's a big bright flashing red LED on it. Wtf?
    PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Why was the ground all wet underneath Ray's car when he discovered the tracking device? Was it the cars fuel?

Also, who was the guy in the mask that burned out the car in the 3rd or 4th episode?

I think it was just a puddle under the car so he got lucky by seeing the reflection of the light off the water.

Leonard must have burned the car as it was used to transport Caspere's body.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Walt Jabsco

The first 13 minutes of that episode were a struggle to get through. The dialogue was absolutely terrible. Don't think i'll bother with season 3, if it gets made.

unplayable wrote: »
    lets be honest this was terrible and laughable in parts.

overall farrell was good although the salute was just ridiculous.
    mcadams was ok.

others were awful.

major major letdown... :(

Like almost everything in this show, the salute just felt off the mark. Why did his son half the badge ornament with him too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

easy call for the worst series ive watched this year, i really dont know why i watched all 8 episodes,

uneven would be putting it lightly in that last episode, huge red lights on trackers, not a drop of water anywhere except under rays car, and the lads were watching him, surely they saw him try and remove the most immovable tracker ever,

the shootout in the woods was ridiculous, he took out 2 guys with ease, yet just gave up and jumped in front of 3 of them,

the ending was just a WTF moment, she was with franks misuses, who still had the body guard with her, clearly 10 months later, she only had 100k with her, and frank is dead, why is he there,

did they forget next season is gonna be a whole new story again, if its even renewed, and well never see these people again, cause it almost seemed like that was a cliffhanger,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Didn't seem like any cliffhanger to me! The ladies passed the info onto the reporters and disappeared into the night. As for the cash I'm sure US dollars go a lot further in South America. Also the payment Frank gave the bodyguard was payment to protect the wife. The bodyguard was extremely loyal to Frank who saved his life at some stage. Also I'm sure Frank had got cash someway to his wife via his south American contacts. Also I get why Frank didn't want to give up the suite as it had 3.5M in diamonds in one of the pockets.
    Really don't see what all the hate is for this show. No one made you watch it but you did, you could have stopped after one or two episodes.
    Still prefer Season 2 finale to the failed finale from Season 1.

Advertisement