Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Soooo, they can put a tracker on a car with a nice big red flashing light on the drivers side that yerman can't take off with a knife, why didn't he just cut it off and throw it in the back of a tracking truck or something? Also, did they not think something was up with him in the street walking around? I think I missed something at the end, who was the baby's father? How much time was supposed to have passed?

Finally, this whole "oooh you're imaging it thing", f**k off, it's not Twin Peaks, why show stuff like that now?

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

So it's over. Thank god for that.

Every week i watched in the hope that the story would come together and the series would take shape but nothing - the entire series was a catastrophe. Also as pointed out above - the water underneath Rays car - eh what? I was actually starting to think it was a comedy towards the end, Vince Vaughn has some lines that makes you wonder if a 10 year old had written the script. You could watch this series backwards and it would make more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Didn't seem like any cliffhanger to me! The ladies passed the info onto the reporters and disappeared into the night. As for the cash I'm sure US dollars go a lot further in South America. Also the payment Frank gave the bodyguard was payment to protect the wife. The bodyguard was extremely loyal to Frank who saved his life at some stage. Also I'm sure Frank had got cash someway to his wife via his south American contacts. Also I get why Frank didn't want to give up the suite as it had 3.5M in diamonds in one of the pockets.
    Really don't see what all the hate is for this show. No one made you watch it but you did, you could have stopped after one or two episodes.
    Still prefer Season 2 finale to the failed finale from Season 1.

your absolutely right, i coulda stopped, but like i said i dunno why i continued,

so the bodyguard is gonna stay with her forever, and why is bezzerides with her, clearly 9-10 months later, only then handing over the files to a reporter,
    Clareman wrote: »
    Soooo, they can put a tracker on a car with a nice big red flashing light on the drivers side that yerman can't take off with a knife, why didn't he just cut it off and throw it in the back of a tracking truck or something? Also, did they not think something was up with him in the street walking around? I think I missed something at the end, who was the baby's father? How much time was supposed to have passed?

Finally, this whole "oooh you're imaging it thing", f**k off, it's not Twin Peaks, why show stuff like that now?
    ray couldve just stolen another car,

the kid was rays, she said his sons deserve to know the truth about their father to the reporter,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Also I get why Frank didn't want to give up the suite as it had 3.5M in diamonds in one of the pockets.

I hadn't thought about the diamonds. I thought it was just Frank's character, firstly that the guy didn't "earn" the suit and secondly no way was Frank gonna lie down and humiliate himself by handing over his clothes.

As for Nails, why shouldn't he stay with Jordan? Frank saved his life, he told Frank he would protect her. Frank's whole crew was bought out by Osip and the Russians except for Nails. So even Blake and the rest knew how loyal Nails was.
    Self-preservation probably comes into it aswell. If he tries getting back into illegal practices, chances are someone will know him or of him. I don't think the Russians would take kindly to one of their guys being killed and their money being stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Thidp

Still prefer Season 2 finale to the failed finale from Season 1.

Why so many people hate the Season 1 finale? Was it the "happy" ending?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Awful end to an awful series.

Right from the horribly dull opening to the lamentable Frank meeting his demise at the hands of a bit part character who comes back to finish him off (A la Benny Blanco and a zillion other similar characters).

Really turgid stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Just finished watching the finale. That was all kinds of terrible. George R.R. Martin has a lot to answer for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Can't believe the negative reaction to season 2. It wasn't perfect, but it stands up on its own by the end credits of the last scene.

The finale was brave imo. My only wish is I didn't wait until it was over and binge on it all over a weekend.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Didn't really have any issues with the finale, not even the first 10 minutes. They were confessions, basically. Bleak? That's probably the last word I'd use. I dunno. What's bleak on a TV scale - The Wire? 2.08 felt sympathetic, even that's not quite right as a description. Season 2 was missing some elements, though I'd still hold to my original observation that the show (season 1 included) as a whole isn't all that remarkable. It'd be a shame if the reaction to this put the leads off doing more TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Not even Alexandria Daddario's epic boobage from season one would have saved this car crash.

But they would have provided a season highlight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

The finale was fitting for the whole series; it promised much but didn't quite deliver. I think what hampered it was that we already knew who the baddies were -- it just took 8 episodes to figure out what they'd done and why. The subplot with the two kids should have been central but felt peripheral to the whole corruption theme. I didn't care who killed Caspere, and my reason for getting to the end was to see how our heroes got out of the mess. But even that fell flat - they seemed sacrificed for a gritty ending and the cliche of one last night --> baby was just so cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Ah well at least The Leftovers is back next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Great excuse for a weekend binge rewatch of season one. I wonder is Gary Busey still in the hereafter or have they returned to sender.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

No it isn't. It's back October 4th. Pretty much enough time to allow you to watch 'True Detective' Season 2 all over again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

ixoy wrote: »
    No it isn't. It's back October 4th. Pretty much enough time to allow you to watch 'True Detective' Season 2 all over again :D

As if someone would watch a whole season of a show they hate.....oh wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

ixoy wrote: »

Damn :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

weemcd wrote: »
    Can't believe the negative reaction to season 2. It wasn't perfect, but it stands up on its own by the end credits of the last scene.

The finale was brave imo. My only wish is I didn't wait until it was over and binge on it all over a weekend.

This. First of all, there's no doubt that it wasn't as good as the first season, which truly was spectacular. Was season 2 as good as the first? No. Was it a worthy successor? Indisputably debatable.

But, was it a good Tv show? Absolutely, it was. Anyone who says it was 'the worst thing I've seen all year' needs to either watch more TV or stop watching shows they conveniently label as such, yet persist to the end, because it seems absolutely farcical to me to deem this in this bracket. Sure, it wasn't perfect, or what we might have expected, but in it's own right, True Detective S2 was engrossing TV with a very good finale.

That said everyone's entitled to an opinion and just as I deem it good TV, so is it valid to deem it it the worst thing to grace screens since MTV's 'Teen mom'. But take a step back for a moment and judge it on it's own merits - is it truly terrible TV? Could you honestly stand by an opinion that deems it - it's over complicated plot, admittedly, but very solid acting - as a stain on TV?

To me, it was disappointing in innumerable ways, there's no doubt about that. But at the end of the day, relatively speaking, it's still up there with the best that TV is offering at present. That finale to me was actually the high-point of the whole affair.

As a season, I'd give it a solid 7/10. Fantastic acting, great cinematography, a satisfying conclusion and honesty, to me, it tried it's best to live up to impossible hype.

Good TV, Farrell was incredible, and well worth a way to anyone on the fence. It's well worth a watch, plain and simple, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

So did colin farells character have a death wish?

I just dont get why he decided to lead the bad guys off into the wilderness. He could have lost them easily in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

How can Frank die after getting stabbed in the side but Rust in Season 1 gets stabbed in the side, the knife is twisted and he is lifted off the ground by the knife? The problem with this show is it treats the viewer like an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

How can Frank die after getting stabbed in the side but Rust in Season 1 gets stabbed in the side, the knife is twisted and he is lifted off the ground by the knife? The problem with this show is it treats the viewer like an idiot.

I'm not saying it's realistic but... one got medical attention.. the other didn't?

That might of had something to do with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

Terrible storytelling. The writers were way in over their heads, not having the skill to pull of their ambitions.

Character development was poor ... The acting was good but they had to do a lot of compensating for the bad scripts.

Problem too is characters were not interesting enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭squonk

I thought it was quite poor overall. The plot was just barely there IMHO. The show lost me quite early. It seemed overly hard to follow and convoluted. My overall recollection is of a series of random events loosley tied to a general theme of corruption. The 'they all die in the end' plot point seemed contrived. That tracker was stupidly easy to find and I really couldn't understand why he didn't steal another car or just do something more intelligent than luring the bad guys out into the wilderness where he could be tracked and killed easilly. Even his reasoning with Beserides about them following him wherever he went didn't hold water for me. Get to Venezuela, worry about the baddies tomorrow.

Frank didn't have to get stabbed. His big mouth got him the knife. I'd rather my chances walking out of the desert in good health than with a knife wound. OK, maybe the guys would have shot him as they drove away but they were getting back in their vehicles. Why antagonise them further. They're scumbags. There's a good few of them. Things are precarious enough without adding fuel to the fire which isn't going to end well. Maybe it was just poor writing. The whole occurance seemed as stupid as Colin's end.

Who's was the baby at the end. At first I thought it was Jordan's but then Beserides. Is that baby Colin's?

I hope VV gets some more weightier roles on the back of this. The script let him down but I always knew he could act. I'm hopeful it's reminded or informed a lot of others out there. His finalé performance was great. Even here though the lines let him down. That final scene between him and his wife was a bit daft, dialogue wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

squonk wrote: »
    Who's was the baby at the end. At first I thought it was Jordan's but then Beserides. Is that baby Colin's?

yes it was rays, she said to the reporter when she handed over everything to him, that his sons (plural) deserved to know the truth, ray took the fall for everything, woodrough had a highway named after him for some reason, and bezzerides is down in south american with franks missus for some reason,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 3.10 To Yuma

Not even Alexandria Daddario's epic boobage from season one would have saved this car crash.

But they would have provided a season highlight.

INCREDIBLE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

I'd give it a 5 or 6/10 overall.

Rust got medical attention ASAP - Frank was hours in the desert with severe bloodloss

I'm gonna re-watch it this weekend

Loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

One knife wound does not equal another knife wound. In each case different organs, veins, arteries etc could have been hit. It might not simply just be a case of blood loss or how quickly they got medical attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

To be honest I think I only stuck with season 2 out of my love for season 1 (which was one of the best seasons of television I've ever seen), so there was almost a sense of devotion to the series. The characters, though very well acted never came close to being as interesting as season 1 and the story line was jumbled and confusing, which left me a little bit bored to be honest and occasionally watching season 2 felt like a chore. Also what was the point in Taylor Kitsch's character, seriously the whole season could easily have come off and may have been even better if he was left out, just a total waste of time.

It was far from one of the worst seasons I've ever saw though, I think anybody saying that is being a bit dramatic, I'd give it a generous 6/10, but I won't ever bother watching it again, it's just not worth the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Penn wrote: »
    One knife wound does not equal another knife wound. In each case different organs, veins, arteries etc could have been hit. It might not simply just be a case of blood loss or how quickly they got medical attention.

Rust was stabbed in the lower stomach and then the knife was ripped upwards lifting him off his feet, even if he somehow survived this he then decides to pull out the knife which is the worst thing he could have done. Here's the scene,

https://youtu.be/1D-KijfBtZE

Anyone who thinks he could have survived that needs there head examined.

Advertisement