Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Even with that hairline of his?

Yes I didnt even notice :):).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I look like Vince Vaughan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

If he goes from this back to another stupid, sh!t comedy then the guy's a fuking moron.

Don't worry, his last one was such a flop that it's likely put an end to his run as Hollywood's most bafflinglingly long-lasting comedy lead. As far as I can see Vaughn was sliding through by continually making these incredibly bland things that are designed to plug quiet gaps in the major film release schedule and likely perform amazing well on flights (i.e. the kind of vacuous inoffensive crap that's perfect to drift in and out of sleep of throughout).

At least Sandler was ambitiously cynical, a dreamer of sorts, mining new levels of sh*t all the time and in the process healthily greasing the palms of everyone around him whilst making absolute bank.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Don't worry, his last one was such a flop that it's likely put an end to his run as Hollywood's most bafflinglingly long-lasting comedy lead. As far as I can see Vaughn was sliding through by continually making these incredibly bland things that are designed to plug quiet gaps in the major film release schedule and likely perform amazing well on flights (i.e. the kind of vacuous inoffensive crap that's perfect to drift in and out of sleep of throughout).

At least Sandler was ambitiously cynical, a dreamer of sorts, mining new levels of sh*t all the time and in the process healthily greasing the palms of everyone around him whilst making absolute bank.

Can say that again, he was one of the highest paid actors laste year apparently with over $40m lmao...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

What I didn't get was why Bezzerides stuck with Jordan Semyon, what did she have to gain from that? She had never met her before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Effects wrote: »
    What I didn't get was why Bezzerides stuck with Jordan Semyon, what did she have to gain from that? She had never met her before.
    i asked this question a while back, still waiting for the lovers to explain it,

She had no problem sending one of the jewel heist kids who was a witness off on a bus without caring where she went. Then she meets up with the gangsters wife and spends a year or so with her? Jordan has nothing to gain from the truth coming out except seeing people she holds responsible for Franks death being taken down. She's just the wife of a dead gangster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Walton Goggins needs to be in S3

He'd need someone like James Quall to act opposite him.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Walton Goggins needs to be in S3
    Good God, no! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Just finished watching Season 2. I kept putting it off cause I was afriad it wouldn't live up to season 1's standards. After the first few minutes, I knew I'd love it. I thought it was fantastic. Unreal acting, so well written, the music, everything. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the big trio but in the end I loved each of their characters. It did take a while to get used to Rachel McAdams and Vince Vaughan, especially given their new roles which you're not used to seeing them play! But after a few episodes you grow to like them. Overall a brilliant season and can't wait for the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Adam Sandler's being lined up for season 3 I hear.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

el diablo wrote: »

Ben Stiller as partner. Jim Carrey will be playing the scary villain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

.... and I would have gotten away with it, if it wasn´t for those pesky kids....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Effects wrote: »

Frank asked Bezzerides to meet up with her if he didn't make it. Chances are between Jordan losing Frank and Bezzerides losing Ray, they simply bonded in their grief and being in a new place not knowing anyone, simply stuck together and became friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

el diablo wrote: »

I always felt the genre needed more fart gags.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

That was an awful load of ****e and a waste of time

Plot was over the place characters was boring only kept with it cos season one was so good

Very disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

just watched the finale this week (I was away when it aired) - sorry I stuck with it now, really didn't get any better. Great production values, some decent acting from Farrell and McAdams but apart from that it was a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

I really dont get the hate for this.
    I enjoyed season 2, it was no where near season 1 but its a decent show in its own right. I do think the first 4 episodes were slow and it had issues but i thought second half really picked up pace.

A solid 7/10 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Season 2 summed up in 2 minutes.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Its hilarious that people who didnt like it stayed until the end.
    Time for a new hobby lads

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Its hilarious that people who didnt like it stayed until the end.
    Time for a new hobby lads

Not really, it went from must see TV to watch when I've nothing else to do TV. Simple as that.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Mumble mumble, light up a fag, Vince trying to be hard, mumble, another fag, fall asleep.
    What a disappointing second series.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Thought it was decent but really suffered from not having the same director across all the episodes, which made it feel disjointed. Pizzolato's writing really benefitted in season 1 from having the same director working on the whole thing, which made it feel like a long film rather than 8 separate episodes.

Thought McAdams and Farrell were excellent, and Vaughan surprised me, he was pretty good, especially in the last episode.

Hated the ending. Was quite depressed after it!

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Thought it was decent but really suffered from not having the same director across all the episodes, which made it feel disjointed. Pizzolato's writing really benefitted in season 1 from having the same director working on the whole thing, which made it feel like a long film rather than 8 separate episodes.
    not an excuse that can be used, every show ever made had multiple directors, and TD season 1 was by no means the best season of tv ever made, it still had problems, which were covered over by the 2 leads, but had a terrible end, which should have been an indication of what kind of a writer pizzolato really is, it looks like he had one good idea, but even at that like a lot of people he didnt know how to end it,

we could all be series writers if we could learn how write great set-ups and great endings,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

don ramo wrote: »
    not an excuse that can be used, every show ever made had multiple directors, and TD season 1 was by no means the best season of tv ever made, it still had problems, which were covered over by the 2 leads, but had a terrible end, which should have been an indication of what kind of a writer pizzolato really is, it looks like he had one good idea, but even at that like a lot of people he didnt know how to end it,

we could all be series writers if we could learn how write great set-ups and great endings,

I never said it was the greatest season ever, I was just saying that the first season really benefitted from having one director which created continuity. I'm not comparing it to other shows either. I thought the ending to season 1 was great - I'm not sure what people expected was going to happen, but I thought it wrapped up nicely. Each to their own, I guess.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I never said it was the greatest season ever, I was just saying that the first season really benefitted from having one director which created continuity. I'm not comparing it to other shows either. I thought the ending to season 1 was great - I'm not sure what people expected was going to happen, but I thought it wrapped up nicely. Each to their own, I guess.
    i dont get the big deal of having one director, i mean no other show does it, and they can still have great continuity over multiple season, never mind just one,

having the one director just shows how much time they had to make season, thats why shows need multiple directors, there simply isnt enough time for one director to edit an entire seasons worth of episodes, and it really shows the leeway HBO gave them for season 1, and season 2 just showed them up,

yeah each their own, i thought the ending of season 1 wasnt a great pay off for what was a great set-up over the first 6 episodes, and season 2 started and ended where the last 2 episode season 1 left off,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

How much liberty do directors have anyway, don't they've to pretty much stick to the series bible?

How much liberty do directors have anyway, don't they've to pretty much stick to the series bible?
    well they edit what they film, their the ones who have to stitch all the stuffed filmed together so thats its coherent, as most know episodes arent filmed chronologically, it could take a week or two to film one episode, at multiple locations, that why most shows go through 8 or 9 directors over a 24 episode season,

a bad director could ruin an entire show, if hes not told specifically whats wanted he might do something mad, and id say their watched pretty closely by the executive producers and writers,

weve all seem plenty of shows that have been badly directed, scenes out of place, bad acting id blame on bad directors also, its partly their job to get the best out of the cast, season 1 of Gotham i thought had some bad directors, the writing team wasnt the best either, but they werent all sh1t, it ended up being a fairly ok show,

its a lot or work to make sure its filmed right, it can mean alterations to the script also, all well and good writing something down, filming it could be completely different, and the writers and directors really need to be on the same page, and work well together,

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

depends how much control the director has. you often hear of producers and directors falling out because the producer wants it done one way and the director wants to do it his way.

people can get lucky of course but generally good films are made when the director has full control of the system (Like a sports manager) so they control the script process right up to editing and even how you market the film like hitchcock would do.

Advertisement