Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

Just finished it. I thought it was amazing TV! The street shoot-out midway through was freaking awesome. Great cast, great acting, Vincent Vaughan in particular sparkled.

Far better than season 1, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Ardent wrote: »
    Just finished it. I thought it was amazing TV! The street shoot-out midway through was freaking awesome. Great cast, great acting, Vincent Vaughan in particular sparkled.

Far better than season 1, sorry!

I doubt if you're going to get much support for that here! :D It was very different to season one, much more of a standard cop show with a few bells and whistles. I could understand someone that didnt like season one enjoying it more because it was a completely different style of show to the first season.

Quality-wise though, for me, it didn't compare to the first season even though I did enjoy it. I've watched season 1 three times now in full, but I cant ever see myself watching season 2 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Dodge ball on comedy +1 now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭s8n

Keplar240B wrote: »
    Dodge ball on comedy +1 now

Huh ????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

s8n wrote: »
    Huh ????
    Dodgeball is a film that Vince Vaughn was in, presumably that's why they posted that piece of information.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 159 ✭✭Andrew Laeddis

Anything announced yet about season 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Anything announced yet about season 3?

Is there going to be a season 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Mr E wrote: »
    True Detective season 3: Matthew McConaughey says he might play Rust Cohle again

As long as the writing is as good as season one i dont care who's in it.

Hopefully Mcconaughey stops doing those cheesy buick car ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Mr E wrote: »

I got a little excited there for a minute but its Cary Fukunaga that the show needs. Him and Nic need to make up and just get on with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

InTheTrees wrote: »
    As long as the writing is as good as season one i dont care who's in it.

Hopefully Mcconaughey stops doing those cheesy buick car ads.

Lincoln. ;)

I thought I heard recently that there wasn't going to be a third season.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

el diablo wrote: »
    Lincoln. ;)

I thought I heard recently that there wasn't going to be a third season.

There's not. I'd imagine though if Nic Pizzataco went back to HBO with McConaughey in tow, decisions would change.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I got a little excited there for a minute but its Cary Fukunaga that the show needs. Him and Nic need to make up and just get on with it.

Totally agree. Much as I lust over Matthew McConaghey, and much as I adored his character in TD1, no actor can ever be enough to carry a lack of storyline or mediocre directing.

Wasn't it Alfred Hitchcock who said that actors were like cattle, needed to be "herded" i.e. told what to do? Unfortunately there's a lot to that I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Needs 80% less mumbling than last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Season 1 was a masterpiece absolutely loved it.
    Season 2 IMO was good I really didn't understand the amount of hate it received. I think if it had been called anything else other than true detective it would of been better received. Farrell and Mcadams were both great in it. The plot was a bit all over the place and losing the director from season 1 definitely didn't help. I still think it was a 6 or 7 out of 10

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Who knows what might happen. Vinyl is cancelled, Leftovers is entering it's last season, Game of Thrones only has 13 episodes left after this season, and they're really hoping Westworld will deliver.

This could end up having HBO try their hand at getting Harrelson / McConaghey back (and Fukunaga) for one last pop at the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

volchitsa wrote: »
    Totally agree. Much as I lust over Matthew McConaghey, and much as I adored his character in TD1, no actor can ever be enough to carry a lack of storyline or mediocre directing.

Agree though I have to say that for me, surprisingly, Colin Farrell was outstanding and carried a number of the early episodes last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

jones wrote: »
    Season 1 was a masterpiece absolutely loved it.
    Season 2 IMO was good I really didn't understand the amount of hate it received. I think if it had been called anything else other than true detective it would of been better received. Farrell and Mcadams were both great in it. The plot was a bit all over the place and losing the director from season 1 definitely didn't help. I still think it was a 6 or 7 out of 10

Totally agree, Season 1 was a superb show, although I was slightly disappointed in how it ended.

But I also enjoyed Season 2, didn't understand how it was so poorly received. I thought Farrell was excellent in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

NIMAN wrote: »
    Totally agree, Season 1 was a superb show, although I was slightly disappointed in how it ended.

But I also enjoyed Season 2, didn't understand how it was so poorly received. I thought Farrell was excellent in it.

Season two was a victim of season ones popularity, on its own it's still better than 99% of the spoon-fed simplistic sh1te that's on the box right now.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Season two was a victim of season ones popularity, on its own it's still better than 99% of the spoon-fed simplistic sh1te that's on the box right now.
    Nah, it's not really better than 99% now is it? But I do agree people were overly harsh on it. Season two was fine by itself just largely not memorable. Farrell was very strong but the rest of the cast never did much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

ixoy wrote: »
    Nah, it's not really better than 99% now is it? But I do agree people were overly harsh on it. Season two was fine by itself just largely not memorable. Farrell was very strong but the rest of the cast never did much.

The standard of TV is shocking of late so if you included all dramas then I'd say it would be up there 95% anyway, I honestly can't think of anything on now to get excited about, ya this had it faults but I was still always anxious to catch the latest episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I agree, it didn't hit the notes of the first season, but it was still in its own right a pretty good season of TV - Farrell, Kitsch, McAdams all nailed it, whatever else.

I think if it was a new standalone season, it would have been heralded as a great, but it was the insane expectations of the excellent first season that sunk it.

All in all though, first season in mind, I still thought it one of the better TV efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,505 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://deadline.com/2017/03/true-detective-david-milch-nic-pizzolatto-season-3-hbo-1202053174/

David Milch (NYPD Blue and Deadwood) talking of teaming with Nic Pizzolatto for a 3rd season

hope that it comes back. season 1 and 2 were very different, unlike say Fargo, another show with different casts and stories, which had the same setting and some connections in terms of character relations between season 1 and 2. that's what shook some people up. admittedly season 2 had some serious speed-wobbles but came ok in the end - except for the post story scene in some sth american country which was a bit jarring and imo unnecessary. as others have said - season 2 was still a lot better than most tv tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,717 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    http://deadline.com/2017/03/true-detective-david-milch-nic-pizzolatto-season-3-hbo-1202053174/

David Milch (NYPD Blue and Deadwood) talking of teaming with Nic Pizzolatto for a 3rd season

That's great news I really enjoyed both seasons so I have faith they will produce a high quality season 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

ixoy wrote: »

Disagree. Vince Vaughn was out of this world also.

Loved Season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

That's great news. Thoroughly enjoyed both seasons. Will be interesting to see the cast take form.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭LastLagoon

Anyone who thinks vince Vaughan and the actress who played his wife were anything other than jaw on the floor level awful in TD2 needs there head examined .dont know her name,only seen her elsewhere in Calvary ,another waste of time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

I don't buy the "if it was called anything else it would have been called a great season" argument. It's being called a poor season because it WAS a poor season.

Farrell and McAdams were highlights but overall a highly congested and convoluted plot made it a poor season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

LastLagoon wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks vince Vaughan and the actress who played his wife were anything other than jaw on the floor level awful in TD2 needs there head examined .dont know her name,only seen her elsewhere in Calvary ,another waste of time

Totally agree. They were both dreadful, no other word for it. Two of the worst performances you're likely to see in modern television. Farrell and the others were decent but hardly outstanding. I think we're going to hear a lot of revisionist thinking between now and series 3!

Hopefully they'll get a good cast in place for this one. And a less convoluted story than season 2 might also help.

Advertisement