Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,800 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I think it's decent. I'm not sure s1 would live up to people's high expectations if rewatched now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

Eod100 wrote: »
    I think it's decent. I'm not sure s1 would live up to people's high expectations if rewatched now.

It does.

Alpha_zero wrote: »
    It does.

Ah guess it's all subjective!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I'll have to watch it back but think Lucy (assuming it is her) said something along the lines of "that man who says he's my father". You'd assume that was her actual rather but who else could she have seen on tv? I don't think Hoyt (who some speculated might be her real father) did TV ads so was assuming it was the press conference. That would leave her actual father or someone else. I dunno why but I've a feeling the Attorney General has something to do it but maybe that's just remembering a similar connection in S1.
    Whatever about whether Lucy's mothers death was an actual suicide, did they say whether O Brien's death was suicide or murder? It sounds like Hays and West may have killed someone. Unless I'm reading too much into their last conversation. Possibly him or is that too obvious?
    Was that not Julie the missing girl on the call?

Was that not Julie the missing girl on the call?

D'oh, you're right! Getting mixed up

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

It's slightly better than the second series but has none of the depth of the first one. It will need to pick up dramatically in the last 3 episodes to be considered anything decent.

I am wondering if the producers watched all 8 episodes together when they screen-tested after the initial editing? Most one a week shows need a decent cliff hanger or reveal at the end of the episode, to get the viewer anticipating the next show. A lot of shows are binge-watched these days. It may be that everything ties in sublimely as a murder mystery by the end of episode 8. This works if you have a scattered plot, which is watched over maybe 3-4 nights. However with a week in between each episode it can feel disjointed and lack structure.

I thought the most recent episode was fantastic. Back to True Detective's best.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

The two leads are doing are great job, if it wasn't for them and the True Detective title then I'd have let go of this by now.

The three timelines don't do it any favours. There is this constant drip feed of information, and alluding to stuff that happened originally, or in '90, which we are not yet privy too. It's just annoying.

And he didn't read his wife's book on the case that has consumed him for all these years? Right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

...with lots of actors mumbling their lines.

I have no idea what they talked about on the porch at end of ep5...
    Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

Roland asks Hays if he can remember why he is pi55ed at him and Hays says he can't remember. Roland tells Hays that if Hays wants to hang out and waste some time, then Hays is welcome to come and hang out with him but he is not interested in getting involved in the case again. Roland berates Hays for never calling him in 24 years. Then Hays apologises for whatever it was that he did, he simply cannot remember what that was and both men forgive each other. Then Roland alludes to something that they did that was morally reprehensible, this time Hays does remember and assures Roland that he has not let the cat out of the bag and appears to convince Roland that one more adventure together could be cathartic for them both.

• Advertisement

episode 6 - meh. another draggy episode.

just waiting for it to get to the end at this point.

dare I say it maybe season 2 is better

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

So, is Roland gay then? Takes umbridge any time hays mentionions the queer club that tom visited. Also, no wife , no kids etc. Himself and tom on first names terms, they seem to have made a connection, besides helping him off the drink. Does hays find out about it thus causing their 24 year absence...?I dunno.

All in all, Its a bit too samey as season one for me. Yellow king. Pink room. Pedo ring what have ya. Still enjoy it but was hoping for a different angle that hasn't been done before.

2 episodes left. So looking like Hoyt involved, ''the man who says he's my father'' and ''pink room'' etc. Guessing cop at the end who catches Tom in pink room, kills him then gets disappeared himself. Presumably Lucy and Dan also killed.

Guess attorney general (who seemed a bit off from the start) and cops have some involvement besides trying to wrap up case quickly. Put it on Woodard initially, then with call from Julie came in put it on Tom.

So if episode 7 covers who did it, guess 8 will show how they how they caught them?

As an aside any significance with brief focus on landscaper when the girl looks out the window? Or would that be too obvious a callback to s1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

glasso wrote: »
    episode 6 - meh. another draggy episode.

just waiting for it to get to the end at this point.

dare I say it maybe season 2 is better

In the same boat too. It’s better than 2 though

Read it elsewhere but apparently the landscaper is the kid that was friends with Julie and Will when they were younger. The one that waves to them on their bikes.

Also, any significance in the peephole....and the notes not fitting out the other side? So they weren't passing notes to each other? Straight after that scene, in 2015, Hays asks Roland "they were passing notes to each other right?" . Is he testing Roland to see if hes still towing the party line re the case? Seems a bit suspicious.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Read it elsewhere but apparently the landscaper is the kid that was friends with Julie and Will when they were younger. The one that waves to them on their bikes.

Also, any significance in the peephole....and the notes not fitting out the other side? So they weren't passing notes to each other? Straight after that scene, in 2015, Hays asks Roland "they were passing notes to each other right?" . Is he testing Roland to see if hes still towing the party line re the case? Seems a bit suspicious.

Yeah was reading up there. Hadn't done much before because didn't really feel there were much I was missing out on but was curious all the same. Mad how much people find just by checking out IMDB too.

I thought the 'revelation' was that the notes fitted and that's what they were at. That it wasn't a peephole. How that would be a big revelation when they already had the notes seemed a bit daft but put it down to poor writing..

Yeah was reading up there. Hadn't done much before because didn't really feel there were much I was missing out on but was curious all the same. Mad how much people find just by checking out IMDB too.

I thought the 'revelation' was that the notes fitted and that's what they were at. That it wasn't a peephole. How that would be a big revelation when they already had the notes seemed a bit daft but put it down to poor writing..

I thought the revelation was that the notes didnt come out the other side! because as you said, they latch onto the notes passing theory straight away as soon as they find them in Ep1. But Hays goes back to check if the notes actually fit...why? They were only half pieces of paper. Not enough to pass through... Then again, maybe im reading it all wrong!! Or reading too much into it! Probably both.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭easy peasy

2 episodes left. So looking like Hoyt involved, ''the man who says he's my father'' and ''pink room'' etc. Guessing cop at the end who catches Tom in pink room, kills him then gets disappeared himself. Presumably Lucy and Dan also killed.

Guess attorney general (who seemed a bit off from the start) and cops have some involvement besides trying to wrap up case quickly. Put it on Woodard initially, then with call from Julie came in put it on Tom.

So if episode 7 covers who did it, guess 8 will show how they how they caught them?

As an aside any significance with brief focus on landscaper when the girl looks out the window? Or would that be too obvious a callback to s1?

I noticed that landscaper too, will be interesting to see if anything develops off that.

One scene I found interesting was Roland and Hays in 2015. Might be just me, but when Hays went to the bathroom, I found Roland's facial expression and curiosity quite interesting. My first impression when Hays came back from the bathroom was that he was feigning the memory loss when he saw Roland snooping. Also interesting when he asked Roland to look outside to see if i could see if he could see the black car, we are told he can't but aren't given a visual ourselves.

Was really interested in that scene and thought it pointed to Roland being involved in some kind of cover up.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    I thought the revelation was that the notes didnt come out the other side! because as you said, they latch onto the notes passing theory straight away as soon as they find them in Ep1. But Hays goes back to check if the notes actually fit...why? They were only half pieces of paper. Not enough to pass through... Then again, maybe im reading it all wrong!! Or reading too much into it! Probably both.

Actually yeah now that I watch it back, I think you're right. Looked like note didn't fit all the way through wall and Hays was probably quizzing West to see would he cover it up? Guess he can be pretty lucid for a guy with dementia but think that can happen with people with the illness. That changes it altogether so! Had read a blog going along with what I thought so guess it was confirmation bias. Ha

easy peasy wrote: »
    I noticed that landscaper too, will be interesting to see if anything develops off that.

One scene I found interesting was Roland and Hays in 2015. Might be just me, but when Hays went to the bathroom, I found Roland's facial expression and curiosity quite interesting. My first impression when Hays came back from the bathroom was that he was feigning the memory loss when he saw Roland snooping. Also interesting when he asked Roland to look outside to see if i could see if he could see the black car, we are told he can't but aren't given a visual ourselves.

Was really interested in that scene and thought it pointed to Roland being involved in some kind of cover up.

Yeah he also seemed to look at Hays gun, maybe they're hinting that West doesn't want Hays to solve the case cause he is somehow implicated. It adds up with what Nerdlingr is saying above with the more. Might link in to work Hays being given a desk job and West getting promoted too. Thought that was more West willing to keep his head down and go along with what his bosses but might be more sinister so. Might explain why they haven't talked in 20 odd years too. West seems a fairly broken man , sign of guilt I wonder?

• Advertisement

not saying that season 1 was the best tv ever but it had so much going for it over this pale imitation that is season 3. 2 points that stand out for me.

- chemistry between the leads - there is none at all in season 3 really. neither are engaging either really. Ali's character started off ok but is just boring at this stage.

- the place as a character - the lush greenness and yet accompanying decay of Louisiana was ever present. I couldn't even tell you where season 3 is supposed to be - no use whatsoever of place

maybe this explains the decent start and subsequent decline.....
    Director and executive producer Jeremy Saulnier, who was set to split directing duties for the entire run with show creator Nic Pizzolatto, has left after completing the first two episodes

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/true-detective-season-3-director-exits-2-episodes-1098793

not saying that season 1 was the best tv ever but it had so much going for it over this pale imitation that is season 3. 2 points that stand out for me.

- chemistry between the leads - there is none at all in season 3 really. neither are engaging either really. Ali's character started off ok but is just boring at this stage.

- the place as a character - the lush greenness and yet accompanying decay of Louisiana was ever present. I couldn't even tell you where season 3 is supposed to be - no use whatsoever of place

8 episodes?

Could have trimmed it down a bit.
    Its a bit of a struggle at this stage, I'm not sure if i'm too bothered, the mumbling is a joke.

Yeah was watching a behind the scenes video last night where they were saying Arkansas was like an extra character in it.. must have got decent tax cuts to film there or something!

8 episodes?

Could have trimmed it down a bit.
    Its a bit of a struggle at this stage, I'm not sure if i'm too bothered, the mumbling is a joke.

yes it's basically turgid going - if they were intent on this pace and relative nothingness a shorter runtime per episode might have saved it to some extent - e.g. the 41 minute time segment used by a lot of other shows

the longer duration here coupled with no engagement with the characters and nada actually happening/being built up, only builds boredom

Yeah was watching a behind the scenes video last night where they were saying Arkansas was like an extra character in it.. must have got decent tax cuts to film there or something!

season 1 was shot in Louisiana
    itially, True Detective's first season was due to shoot in Arkansas, but Pizzolatto later chose to film in Louisiana to take advantage of state tax incentives and the area's distinctive landscape

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_Detective_(season_1)

It was filmed in Louisiana

I meant S3

I meant S3

my point was that season 1's Louisiana added so much.

season 3's sense of place is zero imo.

how whatever source can argue that it was like an extra character (like Louisiana actually was in season 1) is bs I would say!

(edit - is that what you're actually saying also? - not clear)

my point was that season 1's Louisiana added so much.

season 3's sense of place is zero imo.

how whatever source can argue that it was like an extra character (like Louisiana actually was in season 1) is bs I would say!

(edit - is that what you're actually saying also? - not clear)

It is yeah. Agree with you its not noticeable as a character this season.

• Advertisement

It is yeah. Agree with you its not noticeable as a character this season.

Its set in the Ozarks i thought

Advertisement