Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

aidankkk wrote: »
    I'm not sure what i'm going to think when this is over as it has re-set the bar for TV.. God help anyone trying to follow that up...
    It's amazing to think that this is being said mere months after the end of Breaking Bad - I agree too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Also, in case anyone wants it

The King in Yellow - Kindle Edition is free at Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

I like the little discount note that points out your savings of 100% over the print edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Caught up on all it now. This show is unreal, best thing I have seen in a long time. Hopefully the standard keeps up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

I'm not sure if this should be in spoiler tags or not since it's pure speculation. A real life mystery has a lot of similarities. I'll err on the side of caution.

In a small parish in Southern Louisiana between 2005 and 2009 8 women; all prostitutes, all drug addicts, all well known to each other and in some cases related to each other, went missing and turned up dead. The bodies were found in such bad states of decomposition that cause of death can't be fully established. All of the girls had been present at a party that was busted by the cops where the cops shot an unarmed man. After the bodies started turning up some of the girls warned their families that they might be killed. Police actions have been suspicious to say the very least. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/02/us/02serial.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0 or google "Jeff Davis 8" for more.

The story bears enough similarities to perhaps be inspiration for TD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭FootShooter

I'm not sure if this should be in spoiler tags or not since it's pure speculation. A real life mystery has a lot of similarities. I'll err on the side of caution.

The story bears enough similarities to perhaps be inspiration for TD.

From the subreddit r/truedetective:

"Nic Pizzolatto and I actually went to school together (though he was a few years older than me). Being from this area, a lot of people were familiar with a string of unsolved murders in Jennings, a small town about 30 minutes from Lake Charles (where we're from). There's some speculation amongst my Louisiana friends that the show is based on these murders though no one knows for sure. Here's a link that talks about them; sorry for the annoying website design but it tells the most comprehensive story:
    https://medium.com/news-and-politics/d1b813e13581[1]
    It's a long read so if you're interested in checking it out you may want to wait until you have some time."

http://www.reddit.com/r/TrueDetective/comments/1y5kjd/is_true_detective_based_on_the_jeff_davis_8/

Nic Pizzolatto also tweeted a link to that medium.com article about the Jeff Davis 8 two weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Fantastic show, never seen a show maintain such a pervasive sense of dread it's like Se7en mixed with Angel Heart but over 8 hours instead of 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

At the end of episode 3 (I think) when they show the cook walking through the field with the gas mask and machete I was genuinely filled with a sense of dread I haven't felt in a long time.
    Great show!

1239425_656319574410053_1643867432_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Some quotes from subreddit r/truedetective:
    I have completely lost interest in everything else on TV. I just find myself coasting through Shameless, Justified, Almost Human, and especially last night's Walking Dead premiere. It's like eating an old wet biscuit after having blueberry waffles and bacon drowning in maple syrup. It's -4 F here and True Detective is not on every night. Not cool, man.
    and those Bikers make Sons of Anarchy look like a f*cking Soap Opera so I am assuming it's ruined that show as well. Well.....F*ck......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I've never become so obsessed with a show so quickly, or become this obsessed with any show for that matter. I usually can't stand reading fan theories and speculation but I'm utterly addicted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Dermighty wrote: »
    1239425_656319574410053_1643867432_n.jpg

That sequence from the end of ep3 wasn't used in ep5 though right, So what was that all about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

That sequence from the end of ep3 wasn't used in ep5 though right, So what was that all about?

Wondering about that too. Perhaps we'll get a flashback - might not have been Cohle's first visit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

evilivor wrote: »
    Wondering about that too. Perhaps we'll get a flashback - might not have been Cohle's first visit there.

I think it was just a quick shot to set up the character and give off an eerie vibe. I don't think it was part of any particular scene if that makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Easy Rod wrote: »
    I think it was just a quick shot to set up the character and give off an eerie vibe. I don't think it was part of any particular scene if that makes sense.

Keep people engaged as well. It was the episode pre super bowl week so that would have kept people interested to tune in in two weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

I believe this was the episode Cohle said "and like most dreams there's a monster at the end of it" this was merely them giving us a snapshot of 'one' of the monsters at the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Kinda cool how some actors from other HBO series pop up in this, actor who plays Pastor was in Boardwalk Empire and Reg E Cathey from the Wire makes a brief experience.. Always thought that happened more in Irish series just out of necessity..

According to Nic Pizzolatto's twitter the most recent episode featured Cohle's last monologue, not sure that's significant. Might be relying on Hart and other characters to carry on the narrative from here on out..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Inside the episode 5

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭FootShooter

Great summary of all the major fan theories, predictions, and observations: http://www.reddit.com/r/TrueDetective/comments/1yc9dy/spoiler_summation_of_theories_predictions_and/

This too is great for keeping up with all the characters and other stuff in the show: http://www.wekeeptheotherbadmenfromthedoor.com/
    I don't really think the theories about Rust or/and Marty being The Yellow King are true, but I do think the answer about who the killer is will be very obvious once it's revealed due to Marty's continuous reference to the detective's curse

Part of me is wondering whether the ending will just be that the killings are never solved. There's some talk of attaching meaning to evidence that just isn't there and Cohle's mantra about life repeating itself and being doomed to keep on attempting to solve crimes over and over again. It would be a big F you to the audience so don't really seeing it happen just think with all the speculation going on (besides Lost and maybe Breaking Bad to a lesser extent don't think I've seen as much speculation about any other tv show) it would be pretty ballsy! :P

• Advertisement

I really hope they wrap it up in a satisfactory manner. There has been talk about Cohle's monologue about time is actually referring to the audience watching a TV show, in a meta-commentary kind of way. The show can be constantly repeated at the audience's whim but never changed. Ledoux tells him right before he dies that he has done this before. I would absolutely hate if that was the only reason why Ledoux said that. This idea has even been backed up by the director :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

qqyd7qj.jpg

The preacher in the third episode blesses himself the wrong way from right to left instead of left to right which has all kinds of different evil black magic type connotations.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Eod100 wrote: »
    Kinda cool how some actors from other HBO series pop up in this, actor who plays Pastor was in Boardwalk Empire and Reg E Cathey from the Wire makes a brief experience.. Always thought that happened more in Irish series just out of necessity..

According to Nic Pizzolatto's twitter the most recent episode featured Cohle's last monologue, not sure that's significant. Might be relying on Hart and other characters to carry on the narrative from here on out..

It was Clarke Peters who made the appearance, they do look similar enough though. Reg E Cathey is a guest actor on House of Cards as Freddie's BBQ though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Probably echo-ing evryone elses comments here but this is easily the best show on tv at present and if it continues in the same vain then personally i think it will be superior to anything that has gone before. It probably wont though as with season 2 we all know McConaughey and Harrelson wont be returning, whoever replaces them will have huge shoes to fill. On the plus side, that means that this season will be wrapped up nicely with no cliffhangers leading on to season 2..

True Detective Season 1 is a Closed-Ended Story

Similar to American Horror Story if there is a second season, it would be a different case with different investigators.

Nic Pizzolatto (Creator/EP): One of the reasons I wanted to do an anthology format is I like stories with endings. I like a good third act. And continuing serial dramas, they tend to have really good beginnings and really long middles and then sort of have to hustle to develop an ending. And I like the idea of telling a self-contained story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

allybhoy wrote: »
    Probably echo-ing evryone elses comments here but this is easily the best show on tv at present and if it continues in the same vain then personally i think it will be superior to anything that has gone before. It probably wont though as with season 2 we all know McConaughey and Harrelson wont be returning, whoever replaces them will have huge shoes to fill. On the plus side, that means that this season will be wrapped up nicely with no cliffhangers leading on to season 2..

Similar to American Horror Story if there is a second season, it would be a different case with different investigators.

Nic Pizzolatto (Creator/EP): One of the reasons I wanted to do an anthology format is I like stories with endings. I like a good third act. And continuing serial dramas, they tend to have really good beginnings and really long middles and then sort of have to hustle to develop an ending. And I like the idea of telling a self-contained story.

Based on that comment alone, I have 100% faith in Nic Pizzolatto to keep doing this right and do justice to the episodes we have so far.

A LOT of other TV shows could learn from this man. The traditional format for the last couple of years has been exactly this. Really good beginning > LOOONG boring middle > Rush to develop some thrown together ending.

Personally, I prefer quality over quantity and that seems to be the only way Nic does things so more power to him and I hope he spearheads a change in the production of television, or at least more of a balance between quantity over quality. On the basis of True Detective so far, I reckon and REALLY hope he has a long career ahead of him in writing and producing quality TV.

Dave147 wrote: »
    It was Clarke Peters who made the appearance, they do look similar enough though. Reg E Cathey is a guest actor on House of Cards as Freddie's BBQ though.

You're dead right, been watching a lot of House of Cards recently so must've got mixed up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

allybhoy wrote: »

American Horror Story uses a clean slate for every season but they have the entire universe of the super natural to play around with.
    In the “real world”, which I really hope True Det. sticks with, there is only really one area to place a dark storyline in, and that’s murders / serial killings.

Granted, I see Pizzolatto’s comments in that link - Even the title, "True Detective," is meant to be, of course, purposefully somewhat generic before you even get to the deeper indications. So as long as there is some crime in there, I think the series format can approach it.
    But is the dark feel of the show going to work if the good guys are chasing terrorists, drug dealers or paedophiles? Doubt it

And what way would he go to top this storyline of politicians / church / law possible involvement in the crimes ? Anything else, even a really interesting Killer, is going to look small scale in comparison, in my view.

For this reason, I think future seasons will still carry on the theme involving Chambers’ book, or at least with the undercurrent of the cult / higher powers involvement
    Would love them to use the method of the Red Riding books by David Peace –different lead characters / seemingly different murders that eventually lead back to the same bigger picture…worked really well.

I won't be holding my breathe for the next season. The bar has been set too high. With new cast and crew, who knows what they ending up doing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

kyub wrote: »
    Personally, I prefer quality over quantity and that seems to be the only way Nic does things so more power to him and I hope he spearheads a change in the production of television, or at least more of a balance between quantity over quality.

''Quantity has a quality all it's own'' - Joseph Stalin.

In all seriousness though, I am delighted they have kept this to 8 episodes and are having it be self-contained.

Very high hopes for Season 2 as well, with the same writer involved and the acclaim this series is getting, you know HBO aren't going to mess it up.

• Advertisement

Someone, somewhere spent a lot of time making this

Advertisement