Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contact sports four months after cartilage piercing - bad idea?

Options
  • 15-06-2013 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭

Hey. This is probably a really stupid question, but I figured someone here could give me an honest answer.

I've wanted a cartilage piercing (ear rim) since I was teenager (am 21 now) but never got around to it. I train in Taekwon-do during term-time, but I thought now would be a good time to get it done as I have four months off training. I now realise I was being naive about how long cartilage takes to heal (my four lobe piercings healed up really quickly) but I read somewhere that you can change the earring after 12 weeks: would it be possible/adviseable to take it out for 2 hours at a time in case I get hit in the ear during training? Or would it still be a really bad idea?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭RhoDoDenDron

I doubt that you'd be able to take it out for two hours at a time after just four months of healing. A better option may be to try plastic jewellery while you train. Getting pierced with thicker jewellery can also help, as a 1.6mm will be harder to rip out than a 1.2mm, etc. Really, it's gonna be borderline. Try chatting to a professional piercer about it, they can talk you through your options better than a forum enthusiast could. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

You'll be fine it tkd not mma

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I doubt that you'd be able to take it out for two hours at a time after just four months of healing. A better option may be to try plastic jewellery while you train. Getting pierced with thicker jewellery can also help, as a 1.6mm will be harder to rip out than a 1.2mm, etc. Really, it's gonna be borderline. Try chatting to a professional piercer about it, they can talk you through your options better than a forum enthusiast could. Good luck :)

I hadn't considered plastic jewellery, actually. I know I'd have to talk it through with a piercer, I just wanted to know what people thought about taking it out for 2 hours at a time. Thanks :)
    Arawn wrote: »
    You'll be fine it tkd not mma

You can get hit in the head during TKD too...

Advertisement