Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Across from LYIT

Options
  • 15-06-2013 6:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

What are they doing across from the LYIT on the Port Road? I drive past it all the time and have a look at it but still have no idea what's planned for it. Does anyone else know?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Probably one of the most expensive car parks in the country. They paid millions for the site to a local business man despite the fact that there was a recession and property and land prices had dropped considerably yet this man managed to get full 2006/07 prices for the land. God knows what the actual building of the car park is now costing but considering the OPW are most likely the ones behind it you can be guaranteed it will cost 10 times more than if a private enterprise built it. It is badly needed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

They better sort the drainage in there or your car will be swimming at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Surely they would've been better placed to build a multi-story car park either there or where they built the small car park beside the football pitch. That would've allowed for the further development of the campus if and when needed in the future. I know it doesn't take a huge amount to dig up a car park and then build on the land and that a multi story would've been more expensive than two car parks but a bit of planning ahead wouldn't have went amiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 cmcgrenra

A car-park is the sensible option, so I figured they were building the complete opposite. Maybe a mountain or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Are the numbers starting college not dropping or are they at the same levels as a few years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

rightyabe wrote: »
    Are the numbers starting college not dropping or are they at the same levels as a few years ago?

The number of students at LYIT has increased by more than 50% over the past 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

iMuse wrote: »
    The number of students at LYIT has increased by more than 50% over the past 5 years.

Really? I left it in 2008. The car parks were full even then. Any actual figures for the 50% increase in full time students in 5 years? Cause I find that hard to believe.

Also with bigger fees no to register in a course, will this not put numbers down more?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Really? I left it in 2008. The car parks were full even then. Any actual figures for the 50% increase in full time students in 5 years? Cause I find that hard to believe.

Also with bigger fees no to register in a course, will this not put numbers down more?

it could increase them more as cost of living in Letterkenny would be lower than other towns/cities could mean more people moving this way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Over the last 5 years more school leavers are going onto third level to put off the day when they will have to try to get a job or emigrate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

echo beach wrote: »
    Over the last 5 years more school leavers are going onto third level to put off the day when they will have to try to get a job or emigrate.

*Insert retort with broad sweeping statement here*

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Surely they would've been better placed to build a multi-story car park either there or where they built the small car park beside the football pitch. That would've allowed for the further development of the campus if and when needed in the future. I know it doesn't take a huge amount to dig up a car park and then build on the land and that a multi story would've been more expensive than two car parks but a bit of planning ahead wouldn't have went amiss.

A multistorey would cost considerably more than an open carpark which basically requires tarmac and kerbing stones laid once ground work has been completed.

If they had paid market price for the land then they could easily have afforded a multistorey but local politics and back scratching dictated otherwise.

Advertisement