Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what skilled visa for oz?

Options
  • 15-06-2013 7:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hey everyone,
    I have been pondering the idea of returning to Australia for the last few months, I lived there for 14 months back in 07/08 and used up my first and second year work holiday visa, I am 29, single and currently living in Canada but have no great love for this place. I have an ordinary degree in construction management but have a few other construction related skills ie. Excavator operator and carpentry work, What if any visa would I be eligible to apply for?

I have done some research on this site and still not clear on the different types of visas available to me, also when I looked up certain visas on the Australian Government website it said it was no longer accepting applications for that particular visa.

I would obviously prefer to be able to independently choose my employer and not be tied to one company as I have seen a lot of abuse and disappointment through people on sponsorship visas and the LMO system in Canada although I would not be too bothered if I was confined to one region or state in Australia.

I would appreciate any input or experience on the subject from anybody out there. Thanks in advance
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

If you graduated in the last two years then you may be able to apply for a Skilled - Recognised Graduate (Temporary) (subclass 476) visa. Check out the visa wizard below. Also i'd give the immigration agency a call their located in dublin. The chick who runs that clams to have a 100% success rate at arranging Aussie visas. They can advise you as to your best options, they're not cheap but its a starting point.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visawizard/

• Registered Users Posts: 38 shanem4422

thanks for your input, I graduated in 2007 so that avenue will hardly work, ill check out the link, thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

Ok so, would independant migration be a better option for you ? You must have experience in an ocupation that is on the skilled occupation list. If you do have the experience i'd say the 175 might be your best option (the last one on this list). Also you really should talk to a migration agent.

Skilled Independent (subclass 189) visa

Features
    • This points-based visa is for skilled workers who are not sponsored by an employer, a state or territory, or a family member.
    • A visa holder can live and work permanently anywhere in Australia.
    • Certain family members can be included in the application.

Requirements
    Applications are by invitation only. To be invited to apply, a person must:
    • submit an Expression of Interest
    • have an occupation that is on the relevant skilled occupation list
    • have a suitable skills assessment for that occupation
    • be less than 50 years of age when the invitation is issued
    • meet the English language requirements
    • be able to score at least 60 on the points test.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/visas/subclass-189/

Subclass 457 visa

This might be an option as well if you can source a job with an employer willing to sponsor you.

Features
    This visa allows a business to employ someone from outside Australia in a skilled job in Australia.
    If you hold this visa, you can:
    • work in Australia for up to four years
    • bring your family with you
    • travel in and out of Australia as often as you want
    Requirements
    You can apply for this visa if you:
    • are sponsored by an employer to fill a nominated skilled position
    • have skills, qualifications, experience and an employment background that match those required for the position
    • have demonstrated your English language ability
    • are eligible for any relevant licences or registration required for the nominated position
    • have health insurance.
    See link >> http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/visas/subclass-457/

Skilled – Independent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 175)

See more about this visa here >> http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/175/eligibility-applicant.htm

Advertisement