Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Vetting.

• 15-06-2013 8:06am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭

Recently in work its been anounced that everyone will have to complete a Garda vetting form.You'll have to list any convictions you have.The thing ten years ago I received the probation act for assault.As its not technicaly a conviction would i be required to mention it and would the guards mention it when they return the form to my employers.?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

The current disclosure policy lists "details of all convictions and/or prosecutions, successful or not, pending or completed, in the State or elsewhere as the case may be are disclosed to the authorised liaison person in the registered organisation."

The prosecution will show and the Court outcome, in that case, a dismissal and not a conviction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Interesting situation could arise there if the record were to be problematic to the employer or the carrying on of his business...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Does a dismissal looks bad on your record do ya think? I know it's not a conviction or anything but I suppose it still proves you were in court and committed an offense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

carzony wrote: »
    Does a dismissal looks bad on your record do ya think? I know it's not a conviction or anything but I suppose it still proves you were in court and committed an offense.
    Hard to say really.I work in a call center.I think really theyre trying to find out if theres people working for them who might not be trusted with dealing with sensitive information from members of the public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

They would have to have a disclosure policy so see what they do if something is revealed .unless its relive t to your job don't worry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭fartyarse

Probaction Act IS a form of conviction... You were found guilty and because it was your one and only time convicted in court, you were not fined/imprisoned, but given the Probation Act.

Still a conviction.

The Probation of Offenders Act allows the court to dismiss a charge. Dismissals are not convictions.

dublin daz wrote: »
    The Probation of Offenders Act allows the court to dismiss a charge. Dismissals are not convictions.

Absolutely incorrect! It is not a 'dismissal' by any means, it will be disclosed as a 'probation act' and will be treated as such, guilty of the charge/summons, but Judge decided not to impose a penalty.

fartyarse wrote: »
    Absolutely incorrect! It is not a 'dismissal' by any means, it will be disclosed as a 'probation act' and will be treated as such, guilty of the charge/summons, but Judge decided not to impose a penalty.

Really?

"A JUDGE has criticised how the Probation Offenders Act is often recorded as a criminal conviction on the garda Pulse computer system."

http://www.herald.ie/news/courts/gardai-told-to-stop-calling-probation-act-a-conviction-27890365.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The vetting office contact the organisation who made the application on your behalf OP. The letter will disclose everything that is on your record to be disclosed. It's up to the organisation to make their own decision as to whether or not what is disclosed is significant to them.

• Advertisement

Pleaded guilty to stealing a sandwich roll?

David Drumm must be quivering in his bespoke Berluti Oxfords.

Really?

"A JUDGE has criticised how the Probation Offenders Act is often recorded as a criminal conviction on the garda Pulse computer system."

http://www.herald.ie/news/courts/gardai-told-to-stop-calling-probation-act-a-conviction-27890365.html

Soooo what I say is in fact correct then??!! That it is recorded as a conviction!!

fartyarse wrote: »
    Soooo what I say is in fact correct then??!! That it is recorded as a conviction!!

No, its NOT a conviction. Did you see the part where the Judge said "that is not a conviction".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Link
    d) Probation Act 1907 and Vetting
    In instances where, in the court outcome, the court applies the provisions of the Probation Act 1907, the charges are dismissed. However, in order to avail of the provisions of the Probation Act 1907, the case is marked as 'proved'. While individuals often consider that they do not have a formal criminal record, when a person gives their written authorisation for vetting to be conducted the authorised signatory for the registered organisation is informed of the charge as a 'non-conviction' rather than a formal conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 groundcontrol

Hi folks,
    Not trying to hijack this thread but just wondering if someone got arrested for being too drunk to find their way home and spent the night drying out would that show up?
    My friend met with the local super and was told not to do it again. It was a complete once off and she has never been in trouble before or after.
    Thanks for any help on this.

Taking the circumstances as you have outlined them, no, that would not emerge following a vetting request.

It could appear on a request for personal data, which is generally only for your own information.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Dexdustinbury

The matter is clear - if you've been put on a criminal trial and acquitted, you're innocent. If the Probation Act has been applied, you've been proven guilty but the judge has ordered that no sentence arise (like jail or a fine).

It is unconstitutional for Garda Vetting to demand consent to disclosure of "prosecutions unsuccessful" and applicants should refuse this. The only record that should be disclosed about an applicant is CONVICTIONS.

Advertisement