Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to learn designs when one is already a programmer?

Options
  • 15-06-2013 8:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Any suggestions on how to learn web designs for someone who is already a web programmer?

I already know CSS/HTML as well as all the coding issues related to a website building. I know some basic usages to photoshop on a technical perspective. But could anybody recommend ways to learn the design discipline systematically. Like, any books/videos/courses or even training schools which can help to get started and have this subject learned systematically?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

Coursera is running a free course from Stanford on Human Computer Interaction. It has already started but have a look at it. It may be what you have in mind. Just google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

IADT & DublinDesign.ie run short courses on Graphic Design/Human Interaction Design/UX

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭redman85

I was in the same position as yourself, good with code but awful with design concepts. The best thing you can do is practise, practise and even more practise.... Its a bit like code you only really learn through doing.

http://hackdesign.org - is a 12 step tutorial on the basics of design aimed at developers. (the articles are written by some great designers)

I'd also suggest checking out the work on http://dribbble.com to get some inspiration and keep up to date with the new trends. What I did was download some of the free PSD templates and then try recreate them myself. I would also dig around the layers and see how certain effects are done. http://www.premiumpixels.com is another good source of free PSD's.

One of the designers I follow on twitter posted this (it doesnt apply to web design but has helped me nonetheless)

Hope thats of some help to you...

Maybe we could set up a thread where people post images of their work if they are looking for feedback. Unlike the website review section where people analyse the live website and comment on the code and SEO etc , this will be purely the design aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ellery

Thank you for all the answers! I'll check them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 CBIL360

Programming and design are main building blocks, since they act like - heart and soul which is inside a human body and The face and other parts you can see from outside.

You told already you know something about css and html, I thing its just very very basic. For being good in design you have to be proficient in Photoshop, cold fusion, also design is all about creativity, it is so much dynamic. Going by book and doing things out of box, imagination its all required for this particular thing.
    Anyways Good Luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement