Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First brew 6 days on, how's it looking?

Options
  • 15-06-2013 8:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Stuck a 3kg IPA kit on 5 days ago. Added an extra kilo of fermentables to boost ABV to 6% as per packet instructions.

Grav reading at the time was 1.052. This morning I checked it got the first time and it was 1.018 - so that's about 4.5%.

Any idea where this should end up on grav scale?

(Just realised how to figure this out actually)

Aside from that, had a little taste. Still sweet and slightly carbonated but beery all the same. Very cloudy too.

I was surprised to see very little gunk on the top. Something had been there and subsided as there was the big ring around the side. It basically looked like a massive pint with no head.

Checked it there to ensure the lid was on properly and gas still coming out airlock occasionally.

All sound ok?

Btw, thanks to everyone that's responded to my many threads with basic questions. I'll be better next time around.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

gosplan wrote: »
    Hi all,

Stuck a 3kg IPA kit on 5 days ago. Added an extra kilo of fermentables to boost ABV to 6% as per packet instructions.

Grav reading at the time was 1.052. This morning I checked it got the first time and it was 1.018 - so that's about 4.5%.

Any idea where this should end up on grav scale?

All sound ok?

Sounds fine

1010-1012 should finish it ,at 1010 it will be 5.5% ,it will be cloudy till the yeast finishes and settles ,try and leave it for 2-3 weejs before bottling/kegging as it will leave less mess in bottles after conditioning ,when you bottle 3weeks warm 18c+ and then some where cooler for afew more say 10c or so

Advertisement