Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xtravision tramore to close

Options
  • 15-06-2013 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

couldn't believe when I saw the sign up today. surely this branch was making money compared to other branches across the county?
    I spoke to one of the girls working in there and she said the first she knew about it was Thursday when the closing down signs were being put up.

the staff have no idea when they finally shut it's doors either. seems like bad form out of the company to treat its staff like that, some of whom are there for a very long time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

daaave wrote: »
    couldn't believe when I saw the sign up today. surely this branch was making money compared to other branches across the county?
    I spoke to one of the girls working in there and she said the first she knew about it was Thursday when the closing down signs were being put up.

the staff have no idea when they finally shut it's doors either. seems like bad form out of the company to treat its staff like that, some of whom are there for a very long time.
    stopped renting from xtravision over two years ago because of being charged for rentals being dropped back late, never in my life did i drop a dvd back so refused point blank to ever rent from them againa dn have stood by this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

don't use the tramore branch as i from the City. But i'd always assumed that branch would be a nice earner where its situated. I heard that Hilco was to close a few more stores, but Tramore, i'm shocked.

Am i right in saying there's not other rental store in Tramore?

johndoe99 wrote: »
    don't use the tramore branch as i from the City. But i'd always assumed that branch would be a nice earner where its situated. I heard that Hilco was to close a few more stores, but Tramore, i'm shocked.

Am i right in saying there's not other rental store in Tramore?
    your correct, xtravision all them years ago when they arrived in tramore were under cutting both movie buff and strand electric and drove them outta business and when there was no competition pumped up there price's

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

It seems very quiet anytime I drive past. Maybe rent was an issue? Must have been at a huge loss seeing as there are a number of them in Waterford and only one in Tramore.

just got back from the store. Didn't buy anything, the blu-ray stock is very poor.

• Advertisement

always found one female staff member in there to be a bit stuck up her own arse

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭skaface

Looks like ExtraVision in Dungarvan is also closing down .. saw a big " Closing Down" Sign outside today.

skaface wrote: »
    Looks like ExtraVision in Dungarvan is also closing down .. saw a big " Closing Down" Sign outside today.

3 in Total, Lisduggan is closing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Are they doing a clearance sale by any chance? (Tramore local)

gamercfc wrote: »
    Are they doing a clearance sale by any chance? (Tramore local)

not exactly a clearance sale, Retail releases under €20 have 10% off, over €20 have 20% off.

Ex-rental DVDs have 50% off, but from what i've seen in Dungarvan and Tramore stores they have selected certain DVD titles for that.

Ex-rental Blu-rays are not in the sale (well they were not in it when i visited them Saturday).

• Advertisement

not exactly a clearance sale, Retail releases under €20 have 10% off, over €20 have 20% off.

Ex-rental DVDs have 50% off, but from what i've seen in Dungarvan and Tramore stores they have selected certain DVD titles for that.

Ex-rental Blu-rays are not in the sale (well they were not in it when i visited them Saturday).

Ah yeah, understood. But would that apply to the games in there as-well?

gamercfc wrote: »
    Ah yeah, understood. But would that apply to the games in there as-well?

didn't look at the games section, wasn't interested in them. But i would say they'd be in it as well. There was a fair crowd in the games section in Dungarvan.

didn't look at the games section, wasn't interested in them. But i would say they'd be in it as well. There was a fair crowd in the games section in Dungarvan.

I'm eager to have a look, I haven't bought a game in months. Might as-well take one last visit and actually buy one before they're gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

daaave wrote: »

Dungarvan is also to close. Big signs up saying all stocks must clear.

3 in Total, Lisduggan is closing too.

How many jobs will be going so. I know it might be small but every one counts. Why are our TD's not talking about it. Is it because that it is not a factory in Waterford City with a few hundred jobs. Two or three jobs lost in Dungarvan, Tramore or Lisduggan are just as important as the numbers that went at Talk Talk etc when Ciara Conway and co were standing in front of every Camera and Mic telling us all how sorry she was about the job losses.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Black Suir wrote: »
    How many jobs will be going so. I know it might be small but every one counts. Why are our TD's not talking about it. Is it because that it is not a factory in Waterford City with a few hundred jobs. Two or three jobs lost in Dungarvan, Tramore or Lisduggan are just as important as the numbers that went at Talk Talk etc when Ciara Conway and co were standing in front of every Camera and Mic telling us all how sorry she was about the job losses.

Because Talk Talk were moving to a cheaper operating base. Xtra Vision are losing money hand over fist and have been in rapid decline. The company has struggled financially and has been at the center of a for sale saga on and off repeatedly. There trying to save it. Generally they also offer staff posts elsewhere in the network of branches.

was chatting to staff, a lot are taking redundancy, only a few are being moved to other stores.

Sully wrote: »
    Because Talk Talk were moving to a cheaper operating base. Xtra Vision are losing money hand over fist and have been in rapid decline. The company has struggled financially and has been at the center of a for sale saga on and off repeatedly. There trying to save it. Generally they also offer staff posts elsewhere in the network of branches.

You are right in what you say, but I guess what I am trying to say is a job loss is a job loss. It does or should not matter if it is one or two jobs in a small shop or hundreds in a factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Black Suir wrote: »
    You are right in what you say, but I guess what I am trying to say is a job loss is a job loss. It does or should not matter if it is one or two jobs in a small shop or hundreds in a factory.

Bigger job losses obviously make the news because way more are effected.

And its a ridiculous statement to say one or two jobs is the same thing as hundreds..

When a large factory closes there are way more than just the people in the factory effected. Other suppliers and businesses who had contracts with the company can go bust too.

Its no wonder xtra vision are on the way out with their mental prices.

garv123 wrote: »
    Bigger job losses obviously make the news because way more are effected.

And its a ridiculous statement to say one or two jobs is the same thing as hundreds..

When a large factory closes there are way more than just the people in the factory effected. Other suppliers and businesses who had contracts with the company can go bust too.

Its no wonder xtra vision are on the way out with their mental prices.
    they are terrible with customer service as well, they tried charging me for late returns, i never in me life returned anything late and at the time when it was vhs always made sure to rewind!! they put the nails in there own coffins, i stopped renting two years ago due to the mysterious late returns, i think it was down to lazy staff to be honest not scanning in returned stock!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Seen last night that the one in Dungarvan is closing too.

Advertisement