Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aptus broadband for games

• 15-06-2013 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hey guys I am in the middle of buying a gaming PC, I live in a rural area of Ireland and internet is a little sketchy to get anything decent. I am using 3 mobile broadband (not for games) but that thing is so unreliable its crazy,Anyway I will be getting Aptus broadband i think its delivered by satellite but im also thinking of playing a few online games I've read the net and they say i should forget about it :-( does anyone have any experience with playing online games with this service? I live in the Laois area

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭shane7218

Hey guys I am in the middle of buying a gaming PC, I live in a rural area of Ireland and internet is a little sketchy to get anything decent. I am using 3 mobile broadband (not for games) but that thing is so unreliable its crazy,Anyway I will be getting Aptus broadband i think its delivered by satellite but im also thinking of playing a few online games I've read the net and they say i should forget about it :-( does anyone have any experience with playing online games with this service? I live in the Laois area

Oh wait Aptus supplys it wirelessly you should be ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Barrythe chopper

Cool good to know that :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭draken

I am also in a rural area and I am considering Aptus Broadband at the moment. Has that provider been good for many people?

On Aptus website, I see a deal with up to 8mb connection and 80gb monthly downloads. That would be ideal for my usage. Heck, even 2mb would be ideal for my usage (I play mmorpgs, and I don't mind leaving to update overnight so it would be ready for usage the next day, just so long as the latency is not more than say 150ms). Do they provide good connection all the time? :)

Just as some background:
    There are very few providers in my area and recently, Eircom became unusable (less than 0.5mb connection) and they wont fix it even after contacting comreg with the excuse "so far form exchange". That would be a normal excuse if if never worked but up until about 3 months ago (around the beginning of May) the 3mb line (which worked efficiently at about 2mb for 9 months - its very rural so i was not expecting full 3mb), and for years before that was working well at 1mb before I upgraded the line to 3mb. But now, it is only running at most at 50kb/s with normal speeds more like 30kb/s.

Well dude ive had them for 2 months now and they are perfect, miles miles better than that 3 broadband muck for the same price too I might add. Ive been playing Guildwars 2 with no lag and use Steam no problems, I would get an Ethernet cable I was using just the wifi and it was a disaster but since getting the cable its like my pc came to life, but for surfing the Wifi has been great no problems

They don't offer anyway to track your usage which is a pain, It resets every month so no too bad there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

For online gaming. Satellite broadband is far from ideal. The ping times could be as high as 500-1000ms Your signal is coming from Space.

The minimum ping time for gaming is 50-100

With this you'd experience lag online.

The recommended ping time for gaming 50-0

Well dude ive had them for 2 months now and they are perfect, miles miles better than that 3 broadband muck for the same price too I might add. Ive been playing Guildwars 2 with no lag and use Steam no problems, I would get an Ethernet cable I was using just the wifi and it was a disaster but since getting the cable its like my pc came to life, but for surfing the Wifi has been great no problems

Thanks for the info. Good to know! I might be able to get back into GW2 now (Since currently, its unplayable. Lion's Arch is surreal with people popping in and out of existence without any movement animations).

What happens if you go over the usage? I'm not sure I will but its good to know in advance.

Oh but I notice tonight, Aptus' Website is down. No problems on your end I hope? :)

if you go over you are charged per megabyte and no problems i was at GW2 till 1.am lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

For online gaming. Satellite broadband is far from ideal. The ping times could be as high as 500-1000ms Your signal is coming from Space.

The minimum ping time for gaming is 50-100

With this you'd experience lag online.

The recommended ping time for gaming 50-0

Aptus don't use Satellite broadband fwiw, it's fixed wireless.

Ah I got in touch with them today and... they do not serve my area. I am in one of the counties that they serve but not in an area they operate in just yet.

(And I'd have moved to them in a heartbeat! Grr, stuck with a connection less than 0.5mb in this day and age is hell).

• Advertisement

awww man that sucks sorry to hear hope you find a solution soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭siblers

draken wrote: »
    Ah I got in touch with them today and... they do not serve my area. I am in one of the counties that they serve but not in an area they operate in just yet.

(And I'd have moved to them in a heartbeat! Grr, stuck with a connection less than 0.5mb in this day and age is hell).

Can you see any masts on top of any hills from your house? If you do, there's a possibilty that there are other fixed wireless providers you can go with. You'd need a clear line of sight to the antennas though.

Advertisement