Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google reader alternative

Options
  • 15-06-2013 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭

Since google reader will be no more from July, what are people using and is there an easy way to move the RSS feeds into it? I see I can save subscriptions in Reader, hopefully they'll be easily imported in another RSS reader...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

The Old Reader is the only site I've seen attempting to recreate the old Google Reader experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Feedly looks good, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I moved to Feedly last week. I'm happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Will Feedly still work once Google Reader shuts down? Any articles I've seen are saying it depends on the Google Reader back end to work.

Some alternatives: http://www.sitepoint.com/12-free-google-reader-alternatives/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Jayd0g wrote: »
    Will Feedly still work once Google Reader shuts down? Any articles I've seen are saying it depends on the Google Reader back end to work.
    Yep, they're currently in the process of moving all accounts to their own servers. They expect to have it done by the 21st of June, so there's an allowance between then and the actual close-down of Reader.

Source: http://blog.feedly.com/2013/06/17/important-preparing-to-be-upgraded-to-the-new-feedly-cloud/

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    Yep, they're currently in the process of moving all accounts to their own servers. They expect to have it done by the 21st of June, so there's an allowance between then and the actual close-down of Reader.

Source: http://blog.feedly.com/2013/06/17/important-preparing-to-be-upgraded-to-the-new-feedly-cloud/

Nice one, thanks! I'm going to give feedly a go myself then.

Wouldn't want to miss all my webcomics once Google Reader shuts down......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

I did get a notification saying my subscriptions are in the 'cloud', presumably this means it's not dependent on google anymore...

• Advertisement

rocky wrote: »
    I did get a notification saying my subscriptions are in the 'cloud', presumably this means it's not dependent on google anymore...
    Yep, although you should probably logout and log back in just to be sure

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

I use Feedly on the web and its ok but I hate the phone version.
    I really like the way Flipboard integrated with Google Reader and use that a lot on the phone to view my Google Reader RSS feed (it syncs read and starred items etc back to Google reader) also Flipboard is a one stop shop for lots of things like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Google+, YouTube, LinkedIn, Flickr accounts etc so its only 1 app that's needed really on the phone

It looks like Flipboard will still allow me to view all my Google Reader feeds from after July 1st but it will no longer sync read and starred items or allow me to add and remove RSS feeds as I need to obviously. :(

Anyone know if there will be any type of reader that is going to allow hook up to Flipboard or if there are plans for Flipboard web version?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Bottlescrew

Help!
    I need a new reader that will import all of my items, not just the feeds, from Google Reader and also allow me to search within feeds.

Anything I have seen so far, only imports the feeds, so all previous starred data is lost.
    I keep lots of technical articles in reader which I can search using the search facility in Google reader, and again, any other readers I have seen don't have a search facility for starred data. They can all search the net for new feeds, but not within feed data already received.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Help!
    I need a new reader that will import all of my items, not just the feeds, from Google Reader and also allow me to search within feeds.

Anything I have seen so far, only imports the feeds, so all previous starred data is lost.
    I keep lots of technical articles in reader which I can search using the search facility in Google reader, and again, any other readers I have seen don't have a search facility for starred data. They can all search the net for new feeds, but not within feed data already received.

I moved over to Feedly yesterday and it brought over all my starred items (they call it "saved for later"). Very smooth transition, just log in with your google credentials and it takes about a minute or 2 to import. They don't have search functionality that I can see, but their web client is only a few days old. It is probably on their to do list.

jester77 wrote: »
    I moved over to Feedly yesterday and it brought over all my starred items (they call it "saved for later"). Very smooth transition, just log in with your google credentials and it takes about a minute or 2 to import. They don't have search functionality that I can see, but their web client is only a few days old. It is probably on their to do list.
    Search isn't available in feedly yet, but it is on their product roadmap

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Bottlescrew

Thanks Jester & 28064212,

Checked out theoldreader and feedly - getting warm!
    Feedly will import all old starred data - but does not have a search facility.
    Theoldreader has an internal search facility - but does not import starred data (as far as I can tell).

Used Google takeout and have zipped the XML & JSON files, so I may have to keep a few readers on the go at the one time to see which one develops the best.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'm not sure what I'm going to yet. I use Silvio Rizzi's excellent Reeder on my iPhone, iPad and Mac. He updated the iPhone app with Feedbin support a while ago (and apparently Feedly and Feed Wrangler support is coming as well), but there's no news of the iPad and Mac apps and it's looking less and less likely that they'll be ready in time for July 1st. I don't like the look of Feedly's iPhone app, so I'll probably have no choice but to subscribe to Feedbin and do without RSS on my iPad until v2 is ready.

I'd rather go with Feedbin anyway as its paid ($2 a month). I just don't trust "free" online services anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

AOL Reader just opened today to the public, it's suprisingly nice (as I like my RSS reader like Google's, clean and simple) - http://reader.aol.com/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I signed up to Feedbin today and I'm not impressed. It's very slow, it doesn't sync properly with Reeder and the web interface is terrible.

Why couldn't Google have given more notice? 3 months isn't enough time for a service to be built from scratch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

The Old Reader is the only site I've seen attempting to recreate the old Google Reader experience.

I tried it for a few days last week alongside feedly and really liked the interface and everything, only thing is it was extremely slow updating feeds. They even admit on their site that it's a deal slower than a lot of other readers and Will be until they can improve their server situation.

I'll definitely be switching to it though in the future, especially once they have an android app too. I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

feedly v digg reader for me atm, feedly edging it.

Re: Feedbin, they upgraded their server yesterday and performance has improved immensely. Web interface is much faster now as well. If it remains this way, I'm happy to stay with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 zxce

I used Google Reader to catch up on my web comics once a day. Switched over to feedly about a week ago and no complaints so far.

It's been desktop use so far, but I'll be looking to read them on the tablet over two. I'll let you guys know how I get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

So long Google Reader........

digg.com/reader is a nice alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I've been using Feedly the last few weeks on my laptop (the website running in IE10 pinned to the taskbar) and it's been a good experience, much like Google Reader. I mostly used Reader for keeping tabs on the various Tech news sites and blogs, a few webcomics, Flickr feeds, Film news, Irish news and scene releases (movies and tv). I never need to search and only Star / Save for Later items that I want to read in more detail later on using Pocket.

I also use the IFTTT (if this then that) service to add Feedly items that I mark as "Save for Later" to my Pocket account.

On my Windows Phone I use Nextgen reader as my client - this was updated the other week to support Feedly. Nextgen also has a Windows 8 client which works well.

Bye bye Google Reader! Apart from a mostly-abandoned-now Gmail account, I'm now mostly Google-free.

Advertisement