Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway-Athlone Motorway Toll Tag

• 15-06-2013 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hi all,

Will be starting a daily commute to Athlone from Galway next week.

I'm interested to learn if anyone uses an electronic motorway toll tag....are they worth getting?? Which company do you use? Is there a discount for using them?

Thanks!

Bb

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Best off have a look here and see which option suits you best.

http://www.tagcompare.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Blinking_Badger

Thanks Losty Dublin,

Eventually Went with EasyTrip....

Bb

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭blabley

As suggested, use TagCompare. I myself have gone for eFlow and think they are great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, as a matter of interest, what is your topup amount with easytrip?

I'm with then a few years now (was migrated from EazyPass) and on my third tag. They won't let me drop my topup amount below €36 even though I'd prefer if it was closer to €20 as I don't use tolls as much as I used to.

According to tagcompare.ie ....'the Customer decides top up level on application, but recommended value should equal monthly usage' which sounds ok but it fails to mention that they won't allow you to reduce the topup amount if your usage goes down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Hi all,

Will be starting a daily commute to Athlone from Galway next week.

I'm interested to learn if anyone uses an electronic motorway toll tag....are they worth getting?? Which company do you use? Is there a discount for using them?

Thanks!

Bb

There is no discount for using the tag, a slight extra cost for the tag and admin. It might be the times I travel, but never see a queue there, and just use a credit card to pay.

• Advertisement

There is no discount for using the tag, a slight extra cost for the tag and admin. It might be the times I travel, but never see a queue there, and just use a credit card to pay.

+1 The tag buys you convenience, not a money discount. You can drive through a dedicated lane without stopping and you don't have to scramble for money or a credit card.

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 The tag buys you convenience, not a money discount. You can drive through a dedicated lane without stopping and you don't have to scramble for money or a credit card.

If you pass through the odd time then it's no real help. It's with regular driving and especially the Dublin tolls where a tag makes sense, especially with the M 50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I was with Easytrip but the whole minimum balance thing was really annoying and a waste of my money so I switched to eFlow about 2 years back

Now I get one bill per month and that's it - none of this pre-pay rubbish!

If you pass through the odd time then it's no real help. It's with regular driving and especially the Dublin tolls where a tag makes sense, especially with the M 50.

I'd disagree.. even if you're only going through a toll a few times a month (as I am these days), a tag is a still a better option.

My tolls come in at about €35 a month and I'm invoiced once a month. Much better than scrambling for change every time IMO

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I'd disagree.. even if you're only going through a toll a few times a month (as I am these days), a tag is a still a better option.

My tolls come in at about €35 a month and I'm invoiced once a month. Much better than scrambling for change every time IMO

That isn't what I'd call occasional use :)

• Advertisement

That isn't what I'd call occasional use :)

I'm comparing it to 4-6 times a day at one stage so for me this is nothing! :p

I'm comparing it to 4-6 times a day at one stage so for me this is nothing! :p

I'll raise you 7 trips in the Port Tunnel I racked up one day :p

I'll raise you 7 trips in the Port Tunnel I racked up one day :p

ok ok.. you win! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

another way of avoiding scrambling for change would be to buy a prepay card for that toll location which also then is discounted
    Pre Payment Cards
    Prepayment cards can be purchased at our Customer Service Office. These cards offer the customer a discount of 10% on the appropriate toll charge, when the customer prepays for 20 trips.

http://www.eurolink-m4.ie/means_of_payment.html

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Blinking_Badger

coylemj wrote: »
    OP, as a matter of interest, what is your topup amount with easytrip?

I'm with then a few years now (was migrated from EazyPass) and on my third tag. They won't let me drop my topup amount below €36 even though I'd prefer if it was closer to €20 as I don't use tolls as much as I used to.

According to tagcompare.ie ....'the Customer decides top up level on application, but recommended value should equal monthly usage' which sounds ok but it fails to mention that they won't allow you to reduce the topup amount if your usage goes down.

Hi,

I opted for 50 euro because there is a small fee every time you top up...that's every two and a half weeks for me.

Bb

Hi,

I opted for 50 euro because there is a small fee every time you top up...that's every two and a half weeks for me.

Bb

Sorry, I should have asked you what the minimum topup amount was when signing up, did you happen to notice?

Advertisement