Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying phone via adverts etc

Options
  • 15-06-2013 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Hi,

When you buy a phone off someone online, is there anyway to transfer ownership to you? If not, can that person at any time ring the network and get phone blacklisted in the future?...If that's the case, is getting a photo of ID/proof of address from them at purchase is probably the best thing to do?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There's no way to transfer ownership, it's the original owners phone for life as far as the networks are concerned, be ultra careful buying second hand oneline, the iphone threads are full of people who bought blacklisted phones that are of no use, preferable buy from someone you know or from a store. It's not so much of a problem with cheaper phones but if your thinking of an iphone or high end android be very careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Don't think there is.
    Check their feedback first, then try to get the original receipt with it. Most people won't be willing to let you keep a form of ID or proof of address.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Idioteque

Prodigious wrote: »
    Don't think there is.
    Check their feedback first, then try to get the original receipt with it. Most people won't be willing to let you keep a form of ID or proof of address.

thanks - I wasn't going to keep their ID, I would take a pic of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Idioteque wrote: »

You wouldn't be buying anything from me so. Not that I'd be selling anything dodgy but why would I give some randomer a copy of my ID?

I've bought and sold several high-end phones on adverts over the years without any issues. Cop on applies - check the seller's feedback ratings, if it's priced too good to be true it probably is, and if it seems dodgy on the day walk away. Check the phone itself to make sure it works and test your SIM works in it too before you hand over the cash.

Has always worked for me.

Idioteque wrote: »

I was the same when I started out buying and selling, but you quickly learn it's not how it works. Whenever buying one, run a checkmend report of it first off, try buying off a reputable seller, and check it before you buy. Always gonna be a risk.

• Advertisement

What sort of phone are you looking for OP?

Advertisement