Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Benefit of Buffer Tanks

• 15-06-2013 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Just wondering has anyone had a Buffer Tank installed and what are the benefits of them.

Comments

Are you referring to a buffer tank on a solid fuel boiler?

They're needed for storing heat which the heating system can call on as and when required, solid fuel boilers tend not to be very controllable as oil or gas boilers so a buffer tank is needed to store the excess heat produced.

The same could be said for solar hot water systems as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭BadAngel

I'm wondering the same thing. We got a solid fuel boiler installed last January or February, without a buffer tank. Very happy with it but we can't set the heat to some on in the mornings (maybe this is possible and we just haven't figured it out). So, anyway, we're wondering if having a buffer tank would mean that we can have the heat coming on on a timer? And, if it's not like asking "how long is a piece of string?", how many hours of heat should a 1000 litre buffer tank provide in a (roughly) 2000 square foot house?

If you light a fire the previous evening and fuel it up late in the evening, you'll have a buffer tank full of hot water in the morning. Then it's a simple case of having the central heating timer turn on the pump.

There should be enough to warm the house up, but I'm not so sure how long it would provide heat for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

Just wondering has anyone had a Buffer Tank installed and what are the benefits of them.

Can be more specific - what is your overall proposed system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

This thread is just what I'm looking for. I plan to have UFH on both floors of a new build. The plan is to use an oil boiler (when needed) and wood burning stove (with back boiler) to heat the water. There'll also be solar panels on a south facing roof.

Can these all supply heat to the one buffer tank?
    Can I then use the buffer tank to distribute hot water to the UFH system and showers/sinks, etc.?

• Advertisement

BarneyMc wrote: »
    This thread is just what I'm looking for. I plan to have UFH on both floors of a new build. The plan is to use an oil boiler (when needed) and wood burning stove (with back boiler) to heat the water. There'll also be solar panels on a south facing roof.

Can these all supply heat to the one buffer tank?
    Can I then use the buffer tank to distribute hot water to the UFH system and showers/sinks, etc.?

How will you meet Part L with an oil boiler ?

If well insulated buffer tanks become less relevant

My Architect said it would meet the regs. Is it not possible to use an oil boiler now?

My Architect said it would meet the regs. Is it not possible to use an oil boiler now?
    I don't know about the oil boiler not meeting regs, but you do need to have an element of renewable in the system, your solar panel should fit the bill.

All of these could feed the buffer tank, just need to be sure that the controls are good enough to prevent a "cold dump" into the tank, as in drawing water from a system that's not providing hotter water than what's already in the tank.

My system takes in both solar & multifuel boiler that feed directly into a buffer tank that is a tank in a tank system.
    The output is switched between directly feeding the thermal store in the house or if the water isn't hot enough it is fed via the oil boiler that boosts it up to temperature.

The house has UFH that feeds off the thermal store and the buffer tank has two temperature setings that determine whether th eoil boiler fires or not. it is set to bypass the oil at a much lower temperature if it is only used for heating the UFH than it is for hot water.

I don't know about the oil boiler not meeting regs, but you do need to have an element of renewable in the system, your solar panel should fit the bill.

All of these could feed the buffer tank, just need to be sure that the controls are good enough to prevent a "cold dump" into the tank, as in drawing water from a system that's not providing hotter water than what's already in the tank.

My system takes in both solar & multifuel boiler that feed directly into a buffer tank that is a tank in a tank system.
    The output is switched between directly feeding the thermal store in the house or if the water isn't hot enough it is fed via the oil boiler that boosts it up to temperature.

The house has UFH that feeds off the thermal store and the buffer tank has two temperature setings that determine whether th eoil boiler fires or not. it is set to bypass the oil at a much lower temperature if it is only used for heating the UFH than it is for hot water.

That's exactly the system I was hoping for. I assume you need to have a system well designed to meet your needs and then a plumber who can put it together properly?

"said" - ask for "proof" - be maniacal on detail and always ask for empirical data

• Advertisement

That's exactly the system I was hoping for. I assume you need to have a system well designed to meet your needs and then a plumber who can put it together properly?

My system is mostly DIY, the thermal store & boiler are off the shelf but the remainder including the controls are home made.

Advertisement