Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Downgrade

Options
  • 15-06-2013 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

I'm currently finished my 4 year arts degree and am taking a year out to consider my options (typical arts student :D ). I was very lucky last year to be able to buy a 08 Opel Astra GTC with compensation money that I was awarded from a minor car accident that wasn't my fault.

However, now that I am considering postgraduate studies, it seems that that money would be better spent on education. Therefore I'm considering downgrading my car to a handy Corolla or something.

Anyway, I just forked out €942 on insurance (fully comp) with AVIVA. So, my question is, if I downgrade my car and only want third party insurance on a car in about 3 months time, will I be able to get some money back from the insurance company?? i.e. will I get the difference back? Or any amount? NCT is due in January so I want to have the car shifted off by then.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Best thing to do is ring your insurance company and get a quote on the vehicle you are thinking of buying with third party cover and they will tell you how much you are entitled to back.

If you are dropping down an engine size and cover level you will more than likely be entitled to something back.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,220 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Only your insurance company can answer this question but my feeling is that they will only give a partial refund less an administration fee. That is assuming that your premium drops at all or by much. Premiums are not exclusively determined by the type/model/year of car you are insuring. It's as much about the driver and their driving experience, etc as about the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Honestly, i wouldn't bother for the sake of what you "might" get back.

Advertisement