Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pat Rabbitte to force sky/upc to give data to catch licence dodgers.

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭enigmatical

You'd wonder how much money is wasted on judicial time, prisons, state legal costs, legal aid costs etc enforcing this ridiculous payment system anyway?

RTÉ and TG4 are essentially pay television. so, just encrypt them!

if you want access, you buy a card in your local post office or subscribe to pay televising from a cable or sat provider.

it's time to stop pretending is free to air and using the most expensive, legalistic, socially regressive way of collecting revenue.

if you want to give pensions etc a free subscription, give them a voucher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Weevil

Phoebas wrote: »
    I suppose if you make a distinction between taking someone else's property and withholding someone else's property.

Yes. When will you bloody serfs get it into your heads that your earnest endeavours must serve a higher purpose. Pay your Lords their due!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

HurtLocker wrote: »
    I think for €160 we should get way more input into what they air. Too many ads, sub par programming. Set up digital poles to make decisions.
    But the point of a national broadcaster (and I admit this is the infuriating thing, given the obligatory fee) is that it's function is not to meet popular programming needs. Its function is, and ought to be, to disseminate programming which is deemed to be of cultural, intellectual, artistic, scientific or academic merit, or programming which is relevant to the nation and its interests.

This means there ought to be no place for Home & Away and the like, in theory.
    I think everyone can agree a wage cap at €100,000 would be a good thing. We pay for we should decide. Not them.
    Well the problem here is that the quality will diminish, because all salary scales will have to fall accordingly within RTE. Excellent series producers are going to have to have a pay cut proportionate to presenters, and then managers, and then technicians, and then researchers, and so on. Pretty soon you're left with what may be an unreasonably lean organization. I don't know of any organization of about 2,000 people with a salary cap of €100,000. It probably is not realistic in terms of wider wage norms in the workforce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

But the point of a national broadcaster (and I admit this is the infuriating thing, given the obligatory fee) is that it's function is not to meet popular programming needs. Its function is, and ought to be, to disseminate programming which is deemed to be of cultural, intellectual, artistic, scientific or academic merit, or programming which is relevant to the nation and its interests.

This means there ought to be no place for Home & Away and the like, in theory.

Well the problem here is that the quality will diminish, because all salary scales will have to fall accordingly within RTE. Excellent series producers are going to have to have a pay cut proportionate to presenters, and then managers, and then technicians, and then researchers, and so on. Pretty soon you're left with what may be an unreasonably lean organization. I don't know of any organization of about 2,000 people with a salary cap of €100,000. It probably is not realistic in terms of wider wage norms in the workforce.
    It's too late now but if you agree Ryan Turbirdy ain't worth €500,000 a year Ill go to bed happy :). Maybe a live presenter cap of €100,000.

If a person is worth there salt pay them what they deserve but I feel and I think the consensus amongst people is RTE lost control of reality during the boom and are still refusing to come to terms with it now when it comes to the value for money from presenters/personal. Turbirdy was on €750,000 in 2011 ffs. RTE are loss making.

Alot of RTE shows are purely empty fillers between adbreaks. Zig and Zags superb loopers being an example. Right Im off to bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

HurtLocker wrote: »
    It's too late now but if you agree Ryan Turbirdy ain't worth €500,000 a year Ill go to bed happy :). Maybe a live presenter cap of €100,000.
    Ha! Salaries got out of hand alright. When I say I think €100k is too low to maintain some quality, I'm only talking about the very best presenters generating large listenership revenues. There are plenty of presenters who shouldn't be even on that amount. Marian Finucane for example, for 2 mornings broadcasting a week... obscene.

A ceiling of somewhere around €200k for someone like Pat Kenny seems reasonable imo. And none of this private contracting company arrangements either. I don't understand what a semi state is doing facilitating (legal) tax avoidance of that nature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

And none of this private contracting company arrangements either. I don't understand what a semi state is doing facilitating (legal) tax avoidance of that nature.

That's rife across the public sector. Catering companies and cleaning contractors in hospitals is just one example. But it's off topic so now I'm off to take my rant elsewhere.:mad:

Advertisement